Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Snorkeling in Dec in Key West/Dry Tortugas
Notices

Snorkeling in Dec in Key West/Dry Tortugas

Sep 6th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Snorkeling in Dec in Key West/Dry Tortugas

We are planning to spend the new year weekend holidays in Key west and are planning to do some snorkeling in Key West and Dry Tortugas, but have begun to read some disappointing reviews of water and wind conditions there. Some of the private sail boat charters strongly recommended against snorkeling in December since they expect rough/cold waters. I have been reading mixed reviews about water conditions in December. I'm wondering if there is a stronger than normal current in December versus another time of the year. I was also wondering if snorkelling is better in Key Largo compared to Key West? We are planning to stay in Key Largo. We were planning to take a private sail boat charter for snoekeling to get away from the crowds.

I guess I am hoping for someone to say "snorkeling in West will be GREAT in December!" - but please be honest about any pros and cons you can think of.

Thanks in advance!
Sep 6th, 2013, 07:18 PM

I have not been to the Dry Totugas in Dec, but I have snorkeled there and I thought it was wonderful. I snorkled in the rows of pylons (or old cribbings or something) and it was great. I would not want to be in those pylons in rough water though. I have not snorkeled at key largo. Sounds fun. We went on a private sailboat and it was lovely. Too short, but lovely.

Search this Thread