Search

Itinerary assistance needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary assistance needed

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are Australian students in our early 20s and we're heading to the USA for 5 weeks late this year and would like some tips on our itinerary that we have pulled together. For the longer routes between states we will be flying however for some short routes we will be getting the bus. Let us know if we have allocated our time appropriately between the states in terms of what there is to see and do in each area - and if there's a state that we should think about including! We will do typical touristy things

Oct-28 LOS ANGELES

Oct-29 LOS ANGELES

Oct-30 LOS ANGELES

Oct-31 SAN FRANCISCO (Halloween)

Nov-01 SAN FRANCISCO

Nov-02 SAN FRANCISCO - Yosemite day trip

Nov-03 SAN FRANCISCO

Nov-04 SAN FRANCISCO

Nov-05 SAN FRANCISCO

Nov-06 SAN FRAN-LAS VEGAS

Nov-07 LAS VEGAS - GRAND CANYON

Nov-08 LAS VEGAS

Nov-09 LAS-VEGAS-NEW ORLEANS

Nov-10 NEW ORLEANS

Nov-11 NEW ORLEANS

Nov-12 NEW ORLEANS-MIAMI

Nov-13 MIAMI

Nov-14 MIAMI

Nov-15 MIAMI-ORLANDO

Nov-16 ORLANDO

Nov-17 ORLANDO-WASHINGTON

Nov-18 WASHINGTON

Nov-19 WASHINGTON

Nov-20 WASHINGTON-NEW YORK

Nov-21 NEW YORK

Nov-22 NEW YORK

Nov-23 NEW YORK

Nov-24 NEW YORK

Nov-25 NEW YORK

Nov-26 NEW YORK

Nov-27 NEW YORK

Nov-28 NEW YORK

Nov-29 NEW YORK

Nov-30 NEW YORK-CHICAGO

Dec-01 CHICAGO

Dec-02 CHICAGO

Dec-03 LOS ANGELES

Dec-04 LOS ANGELES
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 05:25 AM

Well you hav a rasonable amount of time. Not sure about buses - can be done between DC and NYC - although I think the train is more comfortable. However, you will be northern parts in cold weather and will have to bring a wardrobe for that. Also you are in NYC at the most expensive time of year. Don't know where you plan on staying but I believe that Hosteling International has a well-reviewed hostel with beds in a shared dorm room available for about $45 each - or $90 for the two of you.

For that part of the trip I would start looking at lodging now if you want to try to get a hotel room - but do expect to pay about $250 to $300 minimum for that.

Also note that you are flying NYC to Chicago around the thanksgiving holiday - which is the busiest flight time of the year - with many tens of thousands of students flying home for the holidays. Prices then are typically very high - and flights often booked solid as soon as students get their class schedules when starting classes in Sept. So - unless you are buying some sort of air pass I would also buy those tickets as soon as possible.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 08:40 AM

FYI - there are no big street parties in SF for Halloween anymore so if that's why you've planned that day, it's not so important.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 08:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanksgiving will impact things from Nov 27 - Dec 1. The horrible travel days are the Wed Nov 27 and Sunday Dec 1. So as you have it laid out you've dodged a bullet a bit since you are traveling either of those days. But Nov 30 will also be pretty bad so you'll want to book your flights NOW.

I honestly don't see anywhere that buses make sense except between Wash. DC and NYC (and a train might be better for that) and perhaps Miami to Orlando.

You may also want to book LV to NO flight ASAP since that is a three day holiday weekend and there are lots of leisure travelers. (Though NOTHING as busy as Thanksgiving travel)
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 12:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Seeing Los Angeles using only public transportation will require lots of planning and a careful hotel selection based on what you want to see/do.

How were you going to travel to San Francisco from Los Angeles? There is no direct train service between the two cities; bus service is cheap enough but takes 9 hours. Could you get flights from Australia that have you start your trip in San Francisco and end in Los Angeles (or vice versa)? If not, there are nine Virgin America flights LAX-SFO on Oct. 28th with one-way fares under $100 per person. If you head to S.F. immediately on arrival, you could put all of your L.A. days together at the end.

Were you thinking of taking a coach tour from SF to Yosemite? I looked at one such day-trip (Starline) and can't say that it sounded all that enjoyable. Pick-up at your hotel around 6:30a, arrive back in SF at 9:00p, with only 2 hours off the bus in Yosemite Valley. Yes, you are driven past the main geological sights in the Park, but you sit on a bus for 13 hours... Driving a rental car cuts the travel time by a few hours, but there would be a slight risk of snow at that time. It wouldn't accumulate, but it could slow you down.

An interesting choice to go to Chicago in early December... Average high temp at that time is 5C, average low temp is -2C.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 01:13 PM

First, it looks like you've allocated the right amount of time for each city. Well done! It is especially good to see you've included Yosemite and the Grand Canyon, as they are gorgeous and unlike everything else you are seeing. But day trips won't give you much time to hike and really enjoy their beauty. So if there is anyway you can overnight at these two parks, I am sure you will find it worthwhile. (You can see most of Vegas in a day or two, so cutting time from there is not a problem, unless you plan to spend several days gambling).

Also, moving around for one location to the next is the hardest part. As others have said, most of your moves require flights. The suggestion of immediately going to SF, then putting all your LA days at the end is a good one. Cutting a few destinations may save you both time and money, but only you know how much those are worth to you.

Wishing you a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 02:01 PM

I live in DC and take the bus to NY rather than the train, I think it is better. Mainly because it is cheaper, of course, but you can get the bus for about $20-25 and the train is often around $100 or even more. And you get there only about 30-60 minutes later. There are many bus companies, also, that do that run, several leave from Union Station where is where I prefer (I've used DC2NY, Washington Deluxe, and Bolt, I think -- I have avoided Megabus as it has more complaints in DC, but a lot of people take it). The bus is perfectly comfortable.

There are cheap buses between San Francisco and LA, also, although I think Megabus is the main operator out there. I have a relative who lives there who takes MEgabus to LA as it is cheaper than the train or flying, although I'd certainly look at air fares to see, if money is a concern. Megabus also has runs for about $20 between LA and Las Vegas. I think this itinerary would make more sense starting in San Francisco, then to LA and then Las Vegas.

BUS INFO
http://lasvegascitylife.com/sections...-vegas-la.html
http://us.megabus.com/
https://www.boltbus.com/
http://www.dc2ny.com/
http://www.washny.com/
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 03:31 PM

Actually the train isn't that much more - you can get discounts if you buy tickets far in advance. And with the potential for bad weather the train is much more reliable than the bus (bad weather, accident and construction can turn a 5 hour bus ride to a 7 or 8 hours one).
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 03:39 PM

re:
How were you going to travel to San Francisco from Los Angeles? There is no direct train service between the two cities;

There is - Amtrak - bus to Oakland then the Coast Starlight. Takes forever but a lovely ride.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"There is - Amtrak - bus to Oakland then the Coast Starlight. Takes forever but a lovely ride."

As I said, "there is no direct train service between the two cities." All of the options on Amtrak that day (10/30/13) involve at least one train (sometimes two) and one bus, and then the OP would need to get from Oakland to S.F. Add the fact that Amtrak has a very poor on-time record for this route AND the fact that the Virgin America air fare is only $33 more than the lowest Amtrak fare (which goes via Bakersfield BTW), and there really is no good argument for Amtrak in this instance.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone! Wow thanks for all the feedback!

I am anticipating that NY accomm will be expensive - will either rent an apartment or stay in a hostel. Hoping to finalise the above itinerary this week so we can book something in!!
Just had a look and we can get flights for 180 each NY-Chicago which seems reasonable? There's also a 180 flight Las Vegas-New Orleans.

Would we be able to participate in trick o treating in San Fran or does that not happen? It seemed a more desirable location to spend Halloween then LA or LV.

If we were to immediately go to San Fran and save LA for the end then we'd end up in NY sooner and we want to be there for Thanksgiving/Black Friday so we can't afford anymore days at the end.
We're going to get either the California Shuttle or Greyhound bus LA-San Fran. It's very cheap and we get a student discount and we will probably sleep most of the day since we'll be jet lagged.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Jean we were going to take an Extranomical day tour to Yosemite - it has received good reviews and my boyfriend and I aren't massive hikers, we more so just want to see it.
http://www.extranomical.com/HTML_PAG..._ITINERARY.htm

And I travelled Europe in Jan and Feb in 2 degree weather so Chicago for a few days won't bother me at all! We're returning to the 30 degree Australian summer so plenty of sun to come.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 08:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There are 3 HI hostels in San Francisco. There is a very big one in Chicago. There is 1 in New York City. http://www.hihostels.com/
The Amtrak Coast Starlight leaves Los Angeles every morning and arrives late night in Emeryville with bus service to San Francisco (20 to 30 minutes). I would not want to arrive in SF at midnight. The better idea might be to take the morning Amtrak bus to Bakersfield and take the San Joaquin train to Merced and the YARTS bus to Yosemite. Come back to Merced and take the San Joaquin train to Emeryville to get to SF.
Fly from SFO to go to Las Vegas. Fly from Las Vegas to New Orleans. Fly from New Orleans to Miami. You can use a train from Miami to Orlando and from Orlando to Washington DC (overnight).
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 08:46 PM

Halloween in San Francisco is a lot of fun -- lots of people dress up, and neighborhoods like the Castro are great to walk around in when you're in costume. (Last year I went as Binder Woman--a time-sensitive political reference.) Not sure where there's actual trick-or-treating for 20-somethings, but you would have fun anyway.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 09:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>will either rent an apartment or stay in a hostel.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 01:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in New Zealand and have done a similar trip twice now. Both times we flew into San Francisco and stayed there a few days. The first trip we flew from SFO to Washington DC and then took Amtrak to New York. We booked early and I found a discount on the net for buy one, other passenger was free. This was a few years ago though so may not still be available. From NY we then flew back to Orange County in California did the Disneyland thing, and then flew out of LAX.

The trip we took last year was at the same time as you are planning. We arrived in San Fransisco the day before Halloween. Spent three days there and then took a flight to New Orleans. Spent four days there and then flew to New York City. We then explored around the Boston/Cape Cod area, took a flight from Boston back to NYC, and after 10 days or so which included Thanksgiving, we flew back to LAX, for our flight back to New Zealand.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 09:55 AM

A couple of notes:

Trick or treating is for children - as in 12 and under - not for adults - you would look ridiculous wandering around in fairy princess costumes (which would be expensive from a theatrical costumer) and no one is going to give you a handful of candy

In NYC subletting apartments short-term is illegal - and very often a scam - not something you want to get involved in.

As for weather - the US is generally colder than europe - and I assume the 2 degrees you are talking about is centigrade. In the US you can easily run into 2 farenheit as in far below freezing - and substantial snow. Certainly doable - but you do need real winter clothing and boots. (Dec is kind of early for a lot of snow but a couple of years ago we had 14" on Halloween.)
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 12:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
About the weather, we arrived in New York a day after Hurricane Sandy, and the next day there was a heavy snow-storm. We packed winter clothes mostly, bought heavy jackets in NYC but did take some lighter clothes for San Francisco and New Orleans.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 08:06 AM

For Halloween in the LA area, there is the West Hollywood Carnaval billed as the largest Halloween street party in the world.

Info on last year's
www.westhollywoodhalloween.com/
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tom - found a good hostel in Chicago for 70 for a private room! http://www.hostelbookers.com/propert...0/ngt/4/ppl/2/
The Hi hostel in New York don't offer mixed dorms unfortunately.

Thanks for that last post - we're actually considering staying in LA for Halloween now! We're going to add a day to Chicago and arrive in LA on the 4th of Dec instead and fly out that day so we'll put all our LA days at the start instead.
It seems as though LA has more to offer during Halloween in the way of the street party you mentioned and themed nights at big nightclubs... since we've now realised that we may be a little old for the trick or treating

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -