Snorkeling for non-swimmers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (family of 4 including two boys - 7 & 14) will be visiting the Key Largo area in couple of weeks. My wife and I tried learning swimming as adults, but gave up. The kids are reasonably good swimmers.

Is it possible for people to snorkel and enjoy doing it as non-swimmers? Do you have any suggestions, especially regarding what would be a good spot?

We are also planning to canoe -- any recommendations for locations and outfitters?

Thanks.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM

You can snorkel while wearing a life vest. The ocean does allow you to float a little better than a pool(just slightly). You can snorkel in shallow water. The best snorkeling is on a reef. DO NOT touch or stand on the reef though.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 04:49 PM
pdx

Absolutely! As Spiro mentioned above you'll be wearing a life vest but also you can use a noodle to help you float and keep your upper body buoyed. I did it for a while though eventually my shoulders started aching from the positioning. I'm sure you'll be comfortable with the process within minutes. Are you going with a tour boat or just jumping in the water from the beach? I'm thinking the tour guides will have the gear for you.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 05:31 PM

If you go Pennekamp Coral State Park and take the snorkeling tour, they require that you be able to swim.
The use of the inflatable life vest is ONLY for emergencies.

Don't know about snorkeling tours in Key West, but a non-swimmer in the water over a reef area is not a good safety combination.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 05:53 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I've been snorkeling with friends who weren't comfortable swimmers. You will have to be comfortable putting your face in the water and breathing through a snorkel. You can wear a life vest to keep you at the surface of the water and just kick to manuever through the water.

I would strongly recommend Captain Anne Baxter out of Islamorada -
http://www.easyadventures.net/comments/index.php
She's a retired ranger who knows the Keys. She can combine some snorkeling with an eco-tour or anything you're interested in the water. We went out with her on one trip and the water was a bit rough for snorkeling. I stayed with it for a while and then Capt Anne took us to more protected waters for a bit more snorkeling and then a marsh tour. It looks like she may have turned over her business to another captain but I'm sure he could do the same. The tours out of Pennekamp are good too. And I'll repeat - DON'T STAND UP ON THE REEF/CORAL!

Practice treading water in a lifevest. If you can do that, you'll be fine.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 05:58 PM

If you will be snorkeling in the ocean I would recommend going with an tour such as starrs recommended. If you go just as a family, you should definately "swim/snorkel" at beaches with lifeguards no matter how shallow the reef. Many beaches have underground currents or rip currents which are hard to detect, that can pull you out to sea very quickly.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 06:04 PM

Could you try a lesson or two before your trip? Just to get comfortable with your face in the water and using a snorkel and getting used to a life jacket and kicking with fins.

and really, perhaps it's time to try swimming again, you don't have to be a strong swimmer, just enough that you feel a little more comfortable in the water.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 06:29 PM

For what it is worth, you can purchase inflatable "snorkel vests" at most Sporting goods store, scuba dive shops and online. They work much better than standard "life vests" as they are specifically designed to give you added buoyancy will still letting you float with your head in the water (so you can see through your mask while snorkeling). Standard life vests are designed to keep the wearer's head out of the water and thus makes it more difficult to snorkel.

My spouse cannot swim but has used a snorkel vest for more than 20 years and I've taught several other non-swimmers and 'poor" swimmers to snorkel using the vests.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 06:39 PM

http://www.fla-keys.com/news/news.cfm?sid=1864
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 07:13 PM

If you really aren't comfortable swimming (gave up lessons even as adults), then I don't really think snorkeling is advisable. I do think snorkeling is a lot easier than swimming. Both the fins and the salt water help a lot, but I wouldn't really do it. I've been snorkeling with inexperienced swimmers, and I don't think that's a problem if you go in a group and stick close by the boat, but if you wouldn't ordinarily go in the ocean, then you have no business snorkeling.

Instead, there are glass-bottom boat tours that would be just fine, giving you a glimpse at the reefs and fish without requiring you to get in the water. I'm not sure if there are any semi-submersibles in the Keys, but they are all over the Caribbean and allow you to actually be below the surface of the water without getting wet.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 07:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
For me swimming is really only 'staying alive in the water'- not a good swimmer at all. Can swim on my back, and a bit underwater -but real swimming -- never learned.

And I've been snorkeling twice. Loved LOVED LOVED it. I place the accomplishment for me similar to someone afraid of heights going skydiving.

I went snorkeling in Hawaii -in Hanauma bay. The first 10 minutes I was just about paralyzed w/ fear - finally just went out very shallow and put my mask the water and sucked up courage. W/i 15 minutes I was totally hooked! When my 2 hours was up I didn't want to come out of the water. You can use a vest if you want (I didn't). Be sure to take a waterproof camera (my photos is about the only way I could prove to my friends that I actually did it. They know what a wuss I am around the water.

<red>Do IT !!
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 03:02 AM

I do agree with others. You should probably go on a tour or at least be around other people that can swim. So if you were to have problems someone would be there for you.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 03:10 AM

Honestly, buy a good mask and snorkel, go to a pool and hang around with your face in the water breathing through the snorkel. If you are comfortable doing that, you'll be fine. If you are NOT comfortable doing that, snorkeling is not for you. My ex was not a swimmer and we planned vacations based on snorkeling. Our carryon bags were snorkel bags carrying mask, snorkel and fins, bathing suits, towel, and change of underwear. That's pretty much all we needed if the luggage was lost.

The rental boat/guide will have everything you need but I liked having my own snorkel and mask.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 03:49 AM

Great advice about getting used to the mask in a swimming pool where you feel safe. That's how I try to break in rookies.
And places such as Hanauma Bay on Oahu/Hawaii are shallow - or have shallow/protected areas - where you could snorkel and then just stand up if you get nervous. Going other places which could drop off or have some current would be more risky for non-swimmers and having a tour guide who knows the area seems like a prudent way to go.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 06:22 AM
cd

I am a poor swimmer, I dog paddle great but that's about it. I have snorkled a lot of places and am very comfortable in a vest in Hanauma Bay and other shallow places where I can stand up if need be or in deeper water if the water is very smooth and I can get back to the boat quickly. I once went in rougher water in Mexico and really thought I might die.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 09:59 AM
OO

cd, I'm really surprised by that, being the sailor you are!! Never would have guessed.

My very first snorkel trip we were in Grand Cayman, staying at Cayman Kai, (sort of the far side of the island from the touristed area,) and where the reefs and fish were so close in, you could just kneel down and see fabulous stuff. Now I realize you aren't going there, but I can see where it would even be a great way to learn to swim...knee deep water so you have no fear, and you'll discover that your body is so buoyant, it's nearly impossible to sink.

Keep one principle in mind..if you lift your head up, the rest of your body tends to follow suit. Your legs float down. If you learn to tread water, that is perfectly fine, even restful. Keep your head down and your body, feet and all, will bob right to the surface so you are lying in one straight line, or your feet perhaps a little lower. Same principle applies to free style. The people who lift their heads to breath, rather than just turning them to the side so mouths are exposed, have to use a heck of a lot more energy because they have work to do keeping their body aligned on the surface. Unfortunately, for people uncomfortable with the water, the last thing they want is to put their face in....but therein lies the secret! And if you take a deep breath then try to push yourself to the bottom youll find its nearly impossible to stay down. Holding that deep breath you have to constantly fin your hands up to hold yourself down. Try it--you'll be surprised! OK, Swimming lesson over. .
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 11:31 AM
cd

OO When we sailed I never expected to be in the water unless we anchored and I walked down the swim platform with floatation device in hand ATTACHED to the boat! We never snorkled from our boat...Lake Michigan is clear but doesn't have a lot of pretty stuff to see
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM

The salt water does make a difference. We've been to Hawaii and many people who were nonswimmers or not great swimmers wore the vests and did fine. Agree with starting off in shallow water -- you'll be surprised and amazed what you can see. It's like floating around in your own aquarium.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 05:33 PM

BTW: Pardon me for being a bit of a hard arse here - but really - there is no excuse for not knowing how to swim a little bit. You can just learn to float if nothing else.

The biggest part usually is overcoming the mental block people build up. Just DO IT!!!!!
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot everyone for the great suggestions and tips. I appreciate the caution about not standing up on the reef, the encouragement, and the links. We are exploring getting a snorkeling session in a pool before we head out. We will make up our mind after that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -