Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Smoky Mountain Elkmont Campground, LeConte, and Fireflies 2012

Old Aug 9th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip for June 7 for long weekend trip to Smoky Mountains. We plan on camping at Elkmont 2 or 3 days and probably hiking/spending the night at LeConte Lodge one night there.

So, is there a best camping spot at Elkmont? We will be most likely tent camping. Do the fireflies congregate around the river area or do you have to hike a bit to see them or what? Is June7-12 a good time to catch the fireflies?

I have my name in the hat already for LeConte. I will reserve my spot at Elkmont the day it becomes available. I have contacted the Park Service, but they only answer my question with generic answers.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Hi spirobulldog,

There is a road near the entrance to Elkmont which winds up into the woods, and that's where the fireflies are best watched (at least in our experience).

We joined the crowds walking up the road. I remember that park rangers gave out red celephane to put over your flashlights, since the lights make the fireflies harder to see.

It is truly a remarkable thnhg to see the dark forest suddenly light up with a million little firefly lights!

We have camped in several locations in Elkmont, and they are all pretty. We have traveled with our children and families, so we have had to get three campsites together.

The sites along the river are especially pretty. Our son and grandchildren had fun floating down the little river on tubes.

Be sure to reserve your campsite early!

Byrd
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 08:45 PM

Last year me and a friend saw lots of fireflies around Metcalf Bottoms and on the slopes of the mountains and near the river. The time you are planning should be perfect timing. I think almost all of the camp sites at Elkmont are good. Make sure you hike up to where the old Wonderland Hotel was back in the day. Glad you are on the list for Mt Leconte Lodge as it does fill up fast.Get a spot as soon as possible for Elkmont because alot of people will rent out a spot so they will be right there to view the fireflies.Have a wonderful trip.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 04:23 AM

I stumbled across this thread and am curious of how your trip was? Were you able to stay at the lodge?

Thanks.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 04:40 AM

Personally prefer Cades Cove elkmont is ok
lodge difficult to book
have a back up june is high season
www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/cadescove.htm

would be a nice one...

also enjoy blueridegeparkway.org pretty

far less congested might have a look there.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

ruwithme,
I haven't been yet. This would be for 2012. I assume you mean this lodge. I have stayed at many other National Park Lodges.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 03:57 AM

My bad...Thanks for the additional info. TN is one state we have not adventured to!