Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Smoking Policies/Restrictions in Arizona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone share the cigarette smoking policies in Arizona with regards to restaurants, bars, etc.?? I have never visited Arizona before. Are they similar to California (very restricted) or Nevada (very non-restricted) Thank you! PatsyO.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:20 PM

We were just in Tucson and some restaurants, bars, etc. did not allow smoking while others did. When we asked about it the bar managers told us that it was up to each establishment whether to have a smoking policy or not, it wasn't a law like in CA.

Wendy
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Wendy...perhaps it varies, county to county or city to city?? Maybe a resident can clarify this...Thank you.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 10:31 PM

I'm in Tucson frequently and here's the scoop, at least there. No smoking in restaurants. But, smoking is allowed in bars (although some voluntarily disallow it). Thus, restaurants with attached bars may allow smoking, in the bar area only.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 11:58 PM

In Phoenix most medium to large sized restaurants have a smoking section especially the ones with bars. Most smaller restaurants or very high end ones do not.

I have never been to a bar in Phoenix that was non-smoking.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 03:57 AM

Smoking is banned in bars and restaurants in Tempe. In Mesa only a few restaurants are allowed smoking, but I think bars are smoking.

Other Phoenix area cities have no restrictions by law (not yet anyway), most restaurants have both smoking and non smoking areas. Most bars have no non-smoking
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 08:10 AM

It's not true that it is up to individual establishments in Tucson. It is a law here - no smoking in restaurants. Unless the restaurant was able to prove in court that they lost a significant amount of business due to that restriction. VERY few places did that.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...how about Scottsdale? Anyone familiar with the policies here? Thank you. We're trying to put together a reunion for a few days with relatives from around the country, most are golfers and smokers. We will be eating out and may visit local bars in the evenings. I'm leaning towards the Scottsdale or Phoenix area. Thank you.