Smokey Mtn. National Park/end of August

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Smokey Mtn. National Park/end of August

What is the weather like during this time of year? Is visibility too hazy? What is the likelihood of seeing bears during this time? Any issue with bugs? PLEASE help.

Thanks.

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:23 PM

In the United States, (where the Smoky Mtns are) August falls during the hottest part of what we call "summer"

During this "summer" period, it is sometimes humid especially in the Southern US where Smoky Mtns are, this will sometimes lead to haze.

The National Park is mostly forest and bears live there. If you do see one, you will be joined by other tourist yahoos who will badger the bear (that's a great expression) until it either runs off or attacks you. Intelligent people will watch it from afar.

Bugs...during this "summer" period is when bugs are out and active. They find it too hard to fly in the snow. (that's during something called "winter"
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:46 PM

Shari:
Why not go to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park web site. Everything you ask and more is there.
John
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:18 PM

I would plan on haze, but I still think you'll enjoy the views. You might catch a day with low temps and humidity, but the odds are against you in August.

From my experience, you are unlikely to see bears with the exception of Cades Cove on the TN side (other areas?). If you are a back-country hiker, your chances improve, but most tourists only stop at overlooks. I also believe the park service removes problem bears.

We have our share of bugs, but I don't think you'll need mosquito netting. Maybe a little bug repellant (or Skin So Soft), and you should be fine.

Which part of the park do you plan to see?

Mike Honeycutt
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 12:43 AM

I have made several trips to the Smokies in late August. Yes, the visibility can be hazy this time of year, especially at higher elevations. The likelyhood of seeing a bear is very slim, most generally if you do encounter one, it will be in the wilder areas of the park. I have experiences no problem with bugs during that time.

It is a great time to go however as it is much less crowded as family vacation time is over for the year and the locals tell me that late August and September are the slow times.