Smokey mountain question????

Jun 16th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Smokey mountain question????

We will be visiting the smokey mountains the week of October 11. I know it will be crowded that time of year but I would like to know if anyone that has been there that time of year, what is the traffic like around Cades Cove and clingman's dome. We will be there during the week and not on the weekend. Is there a big difference in crowds during the week vs. weekends? thanks in advance for any info. Also any ideas on the leaf peeping during that week, from what I have read it will be a couple of weeks early for peak foliage.
Jun 16th, 2004, 05:47 AM
jil

Hello,
If you've never been to the Smoky Mountains, you're in for a treat! My family and I live 3 hours away and go at least 2 or 3 times a year. It's a wonderful place to visit. Unfortunately, October is one of the busiest months and traffic around Cades Cove will be very heavy. There are 2 days a week when it's open at 5am for "bicycle traffic only" so be sure to check on that before you decide to get up early and beat the crowd only to have to sit in your car and wait. We've never tried Cades Cove in the fall but I've heard that the traffic is bumper to bumper.

It WILL be better through the week than on the weekend. Whatever crowds you have to endure will be well worth it. You'll be surprised at the beauty of the leaves from the main road through Pigeon Forge. You'll love it. We stayed there the 1st week of June and I'm ready to go back.

By the way, where do you plan on staying? I might can "shed some light" on that if you'd like.
Feel free to email me if you have any other questions. ([email protected])

Jill
Jun 18th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Jill, thanks for your reply. We are staying at a cabin in Oak Haven Resorts which is in Sevierville. I have read nothing but rave reviews about this place, hope it lives up to its reputation. Would love to hear any suggestions you may have. I have been to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg a couple of times before but never in the fall. How is the traffic to clingmans dome? Is it as bad as Cades Cove?

Search this Thread