Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Smaller, Upscale Hotels in NYC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/smaller-upscale-hotels-in-nyc-272213/)

Cindy Nov 10th, 2002 01:35 PM

Smaller, Upscale Hotels in NYC?

I already posted but would love some suggestions on smaller, more upscale hotels in good areas, near shopping, restaurants, etc. I did look at the posts and would like some current suggestions. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Bob Nov 10th, 2002 01:45 PM

Try the Morgan on Madison and 37th. It is a great place, attached to the famous Asia de Cuba restaurant. Very cool place.

Patrick Nov 10th, 2002 01:55 PM

You'd be smart to add another post here to tell us your budget. If I recall your other post, you were thinking of $200? That doesn't fit the idea of smaller, upscale hotels I know, which will be more in the 300-400 range. But others may have something in mind within that budget.<BR><BR>And is $200 including tax? If so, realize you'll need to keep it more like $175 as a base. <BR><BR>Since I think you are staying a week, for a little more than that -- $225 a night (including tax-- actually there is no tax) is a serviced apartment. I loved the Allen House at 71st and 3rd Avenue, great area for shopping and restaurants. It's right above the wonderful Grace's Market. The apartments are beautifully furnished -- ours was all Ralph Lauren fabrics, nice furniture, beautiful wallcoverings and hand painting, etc. You can call them at 212-794-1110 if interested. They also have some &quot;junior&quot; one bedroom apts and studios for less per night. The one I mentioned is a large full one bedroom apartment.

nina Nov 18th, 2002 08:48 PM

Check www.biddingfortravel.com and then bid on Priceline. You can get a 3 or 4 star for about $100 a night.

Richard Nov 18th, 2002 10:54 PM

The Edison

Jean Valjean Nov 19th, 2002 05:09 AM

One of my favorite hotels in NYC is the Soho Grand, almost on the corner of West Broadway and Canal St. It is a great area, lots of shops and restaurants, and it is a great hotel. The lounge gets packed on weekends. You could also try the Tribeca Grand, a couple of blocks away.<BR><BR>You can look at a map of the area at www.sohogrand.com

New York, New York Nov 19th, 2002 08:00 AM

Look at The Hudson right around the corner from Lincoln Center. If you are into hip locations, this is the place to be! Their website has pictures of all the upscale parties they have had there, I think you would be impressed.

E. Nov 19th, 2002 09:40 AM

I love the Michelangelo...it's been discucced here at length. It's an Italian boutique hotel, small, plush and elegant, with enormous rooms and marble bathrooms to die for. Not hip, exactly, but it attracts a cross-section of age groups. But I agree with one of the above posters as far as price: $200 is the minimum you could possibly pay at an upscale hotel, unless you get a great deal. The Michelangelo's least-expensive room was $190 back in October of 2001...

resident Nov 20th, 2002 06:30 PM

Try the Library Hotel. Very nice place, but nice doesn't come cheap in NY.

Susie Q Nov 21st, 2002 06:51 AM

I really like the Mercer Hotel in Soho

xxx Nov 21st, 2002 07:00 AM

try the Pennsylvannia Hotel...if you do a text search on this site you will see nothing but glowing reviews of the place, including one from Dave Barry himself!

jhm Nov 21st, 2002 09:19 AM

Do a search in New York Magazine - one issue did an article on charming smaller hotels in NY. The Mercer, The Giraffe, The Library Hotel all come to mind.

xx Nov 21st, 2002 09:23 AM

The library hotel is fabulous!