Small cities or large towns in northern New England and place to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of staying In Montpelier Vermont for 2 days this summer. I'd like to find a sort of urban feeling somewhere in Vermont, Maine or New Hampshire and most of the places I find to stay are more countrified . I know that's what these states are known for, but I prefer a walkable downtown area even if it's only a few blocks long. I'd like to be near casual restaurants and microbreweries, some shopping, maybe some historic sites.
The places I really like to stay at are more like boutique hotels than B&Bs. Is there anything like that in these areas? Or even a nice chain hotel.
I have been to Burlington Vermont, Portland Maine,Manchester New Hampshire (least favorite) and would like to try someplace new. Woodstock Vermont was OK, but a little too ritzy for me.
I though about North Adams Massachusetts and staying at the Porches Inn, but that's a little too far south.
Would Montpelier work for me? What about Stowe Vermont,Ludlow Vermon, Bangor Maine, Augusta Maine,Newport Vermont, or other ideas of places to stay
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Try Portsmouth NH, it has an area called Strawberry Bank which might fit the bill. Other than the cities you've mentioned most of the cities do not have the ambiance you seem to want.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Also what about Bennington Vermont or Brattleboro Vermont? Montpelier is in a better location for me, but I will look at all ideas
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 03:25 AM

Maybe Brunswick (home to Bowdoin College), Rockland, or Bar Harbor, Maine. All would meet your requirements. Haven't been to Bangor in many years, but it has changed. I wouldn't recommend Augusta. As the state Capital it pretty much shuts down after 5 and on weekends and doesn't really have anything of interest outside of the state museum.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 03:36 AM

You might consider Concord NH. I've heard good things about the Centennial Inn on Pleasant St. Take a look at events at the new Red River Theater which shows independent movies as well as main stream. Not sure The Barley House on Main St has microbrews. Hippo, a free newspaper covers events of all kinds in the Concord/Manchester/Nashua area. I saw the beer store on North Main Street, Concord has tastings on Thurs nights. emalloy's suggestion of Portsmouth might be a better fit and Portsmouth has more going on at night.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM

I second Portsmouth, NH although it isn't all that far north. It has a walkable downtown area, microbrewery, chain hotels, great restaurants, history, nice architecture and it's on the Piscataqua river a short distance from the ocean. There are also boat tours around the river or an all day excursion out to the Isles of Shoals.

Another NH choice could be the Littleton/Bethlehem area. Beautiful scenery near Mt. Washington. Not sure about a microbrewery though.

In VT, Middlebury might be another option. Montpelier is nice too but remember it is quite small. I don't think Stowe is what you're looking for. It has beautiful scenery but is very "cute" and touristy.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.These cities all sound interesting. I think I'm still having trouble with types of places to stay. The scenery in all of these areas is beautiful but I when I get to my destination, I just want to walk around.
Another idea: Waterbury Vermont?
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
What about Portland, Maine?
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I have been to Portland Maine and Burlington Vermont several times. I think I mentioned that. I don't expect anyplace that big, just something a little less country than most of the surrounding areas.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 03:40 AM
bm

I think Montpelier would be great as would Middlebury. Montpelier is a bit "bigger" - has more shops/restaurants than Midd.
Waterbury is OK, but I think you'd like Montpelier or Middlebury much better.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Brattleboro Vermont (south-eastern edge of the state just across the river from NH) has exactly what you're looking for. Lots of people there who have moved up from the cities (Boston, NY, Newark, etc.) so it has a nice mix of locals and people living their by choice. Good restaurants, shops, art scene, etc.
www.brattleborochamber.org
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM

I am a bit late getting into this discussion, but I think Middlebury might just fit the bill. Nice college town, so not too "countrified" -- lots of good restaurants, historic sites,shops, Middlebury Town Hall Theater, etc. Always something going on in this very walkable Vermont town.
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Sorry -- forgot to mention that the Swift House is a lovely boutique inn in Middlebury, walking distance to downtown.