Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Small beach town in California? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/small-beach-town-in-california-666845/)

screenwriter2006 Dec 29th, 2006 09:56 AM

Small beach town in California?

Is it possible to find a small beach town in California anymore -- with nice weather, a nice beach, without it being overgrown in population/traffic congestion/smog/etc.?

enzian Dec 29th, 2006 10:05 AM

Avila?

FainaAgain Dec 29th, 2006 11:59 AM

Stinson Beach north of San Francisco, it certainly doesn't have space to grow, surrounded by mountains!

RBCal Dec 29th, 2006 12:28 PM

Stinson Beach has nice weather???? I guess if you don't mind sunbathing in fog and wearing a wet suit to swim. Also, be careful when you swim to dodge the Great White sharks.

Head to Catalina, Descanso Beach in Avalon has clear water and is warm enough to swim in the summer. It is crowded but no cars are allowed on the island so no smog or congestion.

Also, many beaches north of Santa Barbara up to San Simeon are not crowded
and are warm enough to swim in the summer (unlike northern CA).

cabovacation Dec 29th, 2006 05:11 PM

Capitola, which is just exactly south of Santa Cruz, is a nice beachy town. It gets beach traffic at the obvious times, but is not otherwise congested. It is not in Southern California, so not necessarily warm year round, but it is sunny and warm a great deal of the time. Very enjoyable town and beach.

janisj Dec 29th, 2006 05:16 PM

Do you mean for visiting - or for relocating?

screenwriter2006 Dec 29th, 2006 06:38 PM

Thanks for all the comments, but I agree that I should give some more info to make it easier for you to advise us -- we're considering a second home, a few blocks from a nice beach, in an off-the-beaten path town, with good beach weather pretty much year-round -- does such exist in California? we appreciate your insights.

screenwriter2006 Dec 29th, 2006 06:56 PM

oh, and a town that's nice to stroll around in the evening -- with some cultural/entertainment choices -- would be great -- am I asking for too much?

TahitiTams Dec 29th, 2006 06:58 PM

Love:
Ocean Beach/Sunset Cliffs
Del Mar
Encinitas
Leucadia
Carlsbad
Avalon

LucieV Dec 29th, 2006 07:47 PM

Pismo Beach

fdecarlo Dec 29th, 2006 10:25 PM

If you want beach weather pretty much year-round you'll need to head somewhere south of Santa Barbara, because north of there and winters are cool (nights are downright COLD, as are ocean temps). TahitiTams gave a good list, I'd only add towns like Vista to hers.

A much better alternative is Hawaii. You're guaranteed beach weather temp days, warm nights and great ocean temps year-round, and the state has lots of small, off the beaten path towns.

Barbara Dec 30th, 2006 07:42 AM

Vista isn't a beach town.

The towns and areas listed by TT are all great, but property is VERY expensive.

tracys2cents Dec 30th, 2006 08:27 AM

I don't think you can even find a non-beach, desert or dirt road old mining town in California that isn't overpopulated...or won't be in the next few years.

Barbara Dec 30th, 2006 08:30 AM

tracy, LOL! Isn't that the truth!

sequoia370 Dec 31st, 2006 03:29 AM

Baja.