Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sleeping on the Road (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sleeping-on-the-road-540152/)

marlyn Jun 28th, 2005 12:08 PM

Sleeping on the Road

Hi everyone.

My husband & I are going on a budget trip to Anchorage-Denali-Seward this Aug. We're thinking of renting a mini van with the idea of possibly sleeping in the back if needed. Do you think this is a good or a stupid idea?

NorthwestMale Jun 28th, 2005 12:31 PM

I guess we need more information from you:

Are you driving from Miami, Quebec, Houston, or Fairbanks? Or, perhaps, flying into and out of Anchorage for the trip?

I suspect that MOSQUITOES will be quite prominent at that time of year, and that at least in certain areas they could make your plans very uncomfortable.

Having said that, I do believe that Alaska is great for a low-budget trip. The driving and sightseeing along the way is truly 2nd to none.

I doubt there are more scenic areas on earth that have roadways that make them as accessible to automobiles.

If you pay close attention to combatting the mosquitoes then I suspect that you'll do reasonably well with your plan.

But do give us more info about the trip you're planning.

marlyn Jun 28th, 2005 12:40 PM

We are flying into Anchorage on AUG. 21st and plan to drive to Denali and onto Valdez and Seward in a mini van. I'm really wondering if it is acceptable, or legal, to pull off, perhaps in a public parking spot, and sleep in the vehicle. If it is a problem we'll rent a small RV.

placeu2 Jun 28th, 2005 12:41 PM

I would respectfully suggest that you sleep on the shoulder or even further <b>OFF</b> the road.

GoTravel Jun 28th, 2005 01:01 PM

Yes, please pull off the road and disengage the ignition and motor before you start napping.

nytraveler Jun 28th, 2005 02:17 PM

Do you mean in case of an emergency - that you can;t find a hotel? Or do you mean every night?

Are you both very short and skinny?

Won;t you need a shower? A toilet?

Do you think the people that rent the minivan to you will OK this - using it as a hotel rather than a car? Or hadn't you planned on telling them? (Don;t you thinkk they'llnotice you've been living in it for a weel in AUGUST?)

(I know there are some people in NYC who do this - but it's because they're homeless. And if the police find them they move them along.)

I can;t imagne anyone doing this voluntarily!

J_Correa Jun 28th, 2005 02:33 PM

I've never done the pull-over-at-a-rest-stop-for-the-night thing, but I have used the car in place of a tent before while camping and it has been fine. We did this quite a lot with a Chevy blazer. With the back seat folded down, a sleeping pad, and a sleeping bag, it is quite comfortable.

I don't know anything about the laws in Alaska - whether or not it would be legal to camp out on the side of the road like that.

traveler24 Jun 28th, 2005 06:33 PM

Try www.rv.net and click on &quot;Open roads forum&quot; I am sure you will get all the info you need. Even though it referes to &quot;RVs&quot;, it cover all type of camping styles..
Have fun!!!

marlyn Jun 28th, 2005 07:43 PM

Thanks to all for the jokes, the exclamations and especially the helpul comments/information (J_Correa and Traveler24 -very helpful). I wish New York homeless people had as many concerned people around them. The world would be so much nicer for them.

AKchickie Jun 28th, 2005 11:21 PM

I've never felt comfortable with just pulling off the side of the road... there's a good chance an anti-social property owner will come banging on your car window. Or a state trooper, if you're in a spot that's been deemed unsafe (I don't know if it's illegal, but you won't get arrested for it, just shoo-ed off to find another sleeping spot). There are tons of state parks with parking lots... whether overnight parking is allowed will be stated on the park's little info board, and any associated fees.

I posted this in regards to another Alaska visitor's concerns, and it applies here too:

You'll be able to find campsites to drive into, stick your $10 bill in the pay booth and fill out a ticket for your windshield, but you have to know where to look for another site in case one is full... this is where the Milepost is handy, to find another spot nearby. We've always been able to find a campground in the summer for our RV or car to park in and catch a few winks, but we're pretty familiar with the roads around here being residents.

Another thing about van-camping: Campgrounds always have bathrooms, and nearby businesses have &quot;Pay Showers&quot; because it's very common to have people who are tent-camping and need to clean up (not to mention residents who get by without running water). So don't worry about those issues, you'll get by just fine. The only thing I'd worry about is keeping cool in the van when you're parked (we had this problem in our Honda Element)... if there are no screens on the windows, mosquitoes will come in, and they are fiesty this year.

BudgetQueen Jun 29th, 2005 12:22 AM

My opinion only. NO I would not just plan on pulling off the road, stay in established campground. A lot of pull offs anyway, have no &quot;overnighting&quot; anyway. But I question this tight of a budget? You really don't want a bed at least every other night??? I had to sleep in a car a couple times 20 years ago and never again, was never rested. At the very least, as mentioned, stay in campgrounds with showers and toilets, forget anything else. :)

rb_travelerxATyahoo Jun 29th, 2005 06:07 AM

I've never been to Alaska, but ..

are there Walmarts along the route? I know that Walmarts &amp; Sams Clubs actually encourage RV'ers to park (unless prohibited by local laws), the thinking, I guess, is that they'll come in the store in the morning for the snack bar and supplies. I would imagine there are also truck stops, where one can pay for a shower as well. I have slept in my car and even in the open bed of a pickup truck, so I'm sure you'll do just fine. BTW- love your reply: <i>&quot;I wish New York homeless people had as many concerned people around them...&quot;</i> You've got to publish a trip report afterwards, OK?

jq Jun 29th, 2005 06:58 AM

Marilyn,
We have been there in late Aug and early Sep with no mosquito problems. Using campgrounds, or maybe BnB's would be better. Some bb's with shared bath, can be gotten pretty cheap as well as some plain motels. Use the credit card a little and worry about paying off when you get home. These trips don't come that often!!! Do they???

marlyn Jun 29th, 2005 07:47 AM

Hi again. We are staying in some inns and state park cabins. Some of the cabins have amazing views and aren't near any other structure (very excited about that!).

Are mosquitos bad at the end of August? We are tent camping outside Denali.

eduardo Jun 30th, 2005 11:30 AM

Try taking a tent along to sleep in. We fly into Anchorage every year , sometimes twice, and travel in different directions from there. Have always found someplace to camp. Nice camp areas are easy to find everywhere in Alaska, established or not. You will enjoy.

AKGardenGate Jun 30th, 2005 04:42 PM

Hi, Yeah, why not sleep in the car? I do that up and down the Alcan each time I go to the U.S. to see family, even in the winter. It's not because I can't afford to stay in hotels, campgrounds, etc. Safety's not an issue, I don't feel, as a single woman. I love the freedom that this many thousands of open miles provides, to stop where I feel like it. So many outrageously beautiful spots! And even with 1.5 million of you visiting our beautiful state, it's still not unusual to feel like the sole human beings within your viewshed. Mosquitos are waning, thank goodness. I've been trapped inside since mid-May (finally bought a headnet this year). It's the light that would bother me. The few times I've traveled in the summer around Alaska and slept away from room darkening blinds, I had a hard time staying asleep past 4 a.m. and was cranky all day. Eye shades might help.

nytraveler Jun 30th, 2005 05:18 PM

I still can;t believe you're thinking of doing this in a rented car. Think of the next poor person - do they want to be driving a car you've ben living/sleeping in for a week- ick!

Tara_from_Vegas Jun 30th, 2005 05:25 PM

My friend, Gustavo, works at Alamo, here in Vegas. They clean the cars between people. Use sprays and stuff to fix the smells.

mingum Jul 1st, 2005 06:36 PM

I think you should sleep in the van, as long as it is big enough and you feel comfortable. I have been planning my trip and have switched from tent camping to cabin/b&amp;b type of things because I suddenly became fearful of the whole bear thing. It is very very expensive, hard to find anything for under $100 per night. However, there are some cabins in some remote places for $25 (try Quartz Lake).

I suggest that you pull into a campground and pay the $10 fee or so fee for camping and then just sleep in the van instead of a tent. It will be safer and you will have access to their bathrooms and showers and other facilities.

After reading your post I thought about doing renting a van and sleeping in it, but with 3 people it would not be a good move.

Also another suggestion: try the Lonely Planet website, people there tend to be a little more adventurous (nature of the different guide books' target markets) and they will be able to give you some real first hand experience information about this.

HAVE FUN! You will be there after we have already left. (We have very similar destinations/itinerary)

starrsville Jul 1st, 2005 06:48 PM

I agree with mingum. In my earlier traveling days I camped quite a bit. If I was trying to make time cross-country, we'd sleep in the car/truck/SUV, but at a KOA or at least National Forest Campground. Canada has wonderful free roadside campgrounds. We often did not want to take the time to set up camp, but wanted to have restrooms (and a hot shower in the morning - KOA). There are crazy folks everywhere, but I'd feel safer in a campground then just in a pull-out on the side of the road.

If you do the mini-van route, stop by a Wal-Mart or similar and buy a foam eggcrate mattress pad. Roll it up during the day if you want, but it would be nice to have some extra padding at night. They aren't expensive so just throw away at the end of the trip.

On an extensive camping trip through the American and Canadian Rockies, we did set up full camp one time but slept in the Blazer. It was in Yellowstone and I wanted metal between me and the bears. We unloaded stuff and stored it in the tent and slept in the SUV.

Folks sleep in vans, cars, SUVs all the time. Enjoy your trip.