Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SLC to Vegas - lodging suggestions needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/slc-to-vegas-lodging-suggestions-needed-589570/)

Liz5959 Feb 9th, 2006 06:53 AM

SLC to Vegas - lodging suggestions needed

My DH and DS (15) have planned a father-son spring break. They are flying into Salt Lake City on 3/24 and flying out of Vegas on 4/1. Their Itinerary thoughts so far:

3/24 arrive SLC 10:24pm need hotel near airport
3/25 drive to Moab
3/26 See Arches, drive to Canyonlands
3/27 Canyonlands, drive to capital Reef
3/28 Capital reef, drive to Bryce
3/29 See Bryce, drive to Zion
3/30 See Zion, drive to Vegas
3/31 Vegas
4/1 2:20pm flight home

They have a reservation for the night of 3/29 at Zion Lodge in the NP. And that's as far as they got before dumping this project on me.>:o

So, while I'm sure I can figure out a Hotel in Vegas for them. I just don't know about all the other spots. Or if they are trying to do too much. Or, if they are going to freeze their rears off while hiking. There are lots of thread on this site, but most of them seem to revolve around the summer months, and camping, neither of which apply here.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I'll check in after I search some more. Maybe I'll have some more specific questions. Thanks.

ChristieP Feb 9th, 2006 09:01 AM

For the Vegas hotel, how about the new Hooters Hotel? It's 1 block off the Strip, and any man with a pulse would probably really enjoy staying there...;-)

highflyer Feb 9th, 2006 09:16 AM

For SLC we stayed in the Red Lion Inn which has a shuttle from the airport (It's around $100 a night), has mixed reviews on Tripadvisor but we liked it. It has a small outdoor pool which we used (in summer!).

For Capitol Reef, stay in Torrey... we loved the Best Western. Highly recommend picking up bagels at the tiny coffee shop at the gas station at the junction with rt12 (there's a Subway there too). The bagels are homemade each morning and are incredible. Next door is a tour/t-shirt shop? They can book you on a horseriding excursion if you're interested.

Hope this helps, happy hiking!

utahtea Feb 9th, 2006 12:15 PM

Have them spend the nights of 3/25 & 3/26 in Moab to see Arches and Canyonlands. It's the closest major city for lodging.

Utahtea

Liz5959 Feb 9th, 2006 02:23 PM

Thanks for the help so far. If they stay two nights in Moab, then the next night should be in Torrey? Does it make sense to spend two nights in Torrey driving to Bryce early in the morning, or would their time be better spent if they stay near Bryce on on the night of the 28th.

All the comments I've seen say take Hwy 12 for its scenic beauty. I can see the distances, I just can't really tell how long the driving will take.

tracys2cents Feb 9th, 2006 03:22 PM

In Torrey we stayed at the Boulder View Inn. Just a motel, no amenities other than a BEAUTIFUL view, but I think IT REALLY MUST BE THE CLEANEST MOTEL IN THE U.S.A like it states on their website! BEYOND SPOTLESS!

www.boulderviewinn.com