Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Skiing : Utah or Whistler ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/skiing-utah-or-whistler-280928/)

Reinhard Dec 22nd, 2002 05:47 AM

Skiing : Utah or Whistler ?

We come from Germany and plan to go skiing in March.Some friends highly recommend Whistler whilst others have heard about the phantastic snow in Utah. If you could give us recommendations we would be very thankful.<BR>First we will have to decide which area we<BR>should go to and second where to stay.<BR>

BTilke Dec 22nd, 2002 07:28 AM

Reinhard, if snow conditions are your priority, definitely go with Utah. The snow there is among the best in the world for skiers and boarders. Park City would be a fun destination (unless you're there during the Sundance film festival, in which case the town will be a zoo, and I forget when that is). Whistler has a million things to do if the snow doesn't hold up and you're a short(ish), beautiful train ride from Vancouver. However, as a former Pacific NW resident, I have to warn you that the snow could be icy or mushy in March. We call it Cascade Cement or Cascade Concrete (the stuff you get when it snows, then thaws, then freezes, then thaws, then freezes, etc.). You may also get some thick fog at the lower elevations. On the other hand, if the snow is right, you will have a fantastic time, with great conditions, beautiful scenery and nonstop activities for when you're off the slopes.<BR>BTilke (Brussels and Bochum)

John Dec 22nd, 2002 08:58 AM

<BR>Have never been to Whistler but can vouch for the snow in Utah. Fantastic powder and lots of groomed slopes at all the resorts. Would not hesitate one minute. Go to Utah.

xx Dec 22nd, 2002 11:52 AM

Skied both. The clouds never lifted at Whistler and it was cold and icy, plus a little difficult to get to. Utah has so many resorts that are easily accesible plus great snow. My vote is for Utah.

Barbara Dec 22nd, 2002 02:40 PM

The Sundance Film Festival is in January. Spring skiing in Utah is my favorite time to ski.

Reinhard Dec 23rd, 2002 03:54 AM

Thank you for your comments-we will go to Utah and hope to enjoy the snow.

Mina Dec 23rd, 2002 11:54 AM

I love skiing Utah so much that I've never made it to Colorado to ski.<BR><BR>Park City is a great ski town. I've never been to Whistler, but I think the conditions are usually better in Utah (as a previous poster noted). <BR><BR>Just know that they have funny liquor laws in Utah. You can have a drink with your meal, no problem. But I mean A drink. They can't give you another one unless you are done with your first (which usually is fine, since most people don't drink two drinks at a time!) Just finish up your drink before you order another one.<BR><BR>If you just want to drink without a meal, you can go into a &quot;private club&quot;. It's basically a bar where you pay a membership...you can get a temporary one for a couple weeks for a nominal fee. You can bring in a certain amount of friends, so you'll only need to get one membership for so many people.<BR><BR>Also, watch out for that 3.2% beer!<BR><BR>Enjoy Utah!

Dayle Dec 23rd, 2002 12:58 PM

Hi! Live from Park City....here's my vote. I've skied Whistler/Blackcomb &amp; I loved it. Fantastic terrain &amp; lift systems, fun village, good exchange rate. But the weather wasn't the best. We considered ourselves very lucky that we didn't get rained on in January. 6 straight days of heavy, black clouds that looked like they would start pouring any minute. <BR><BR>Utah's biggest snow fall month is March - and we are not talking spring conditions. We are talking about powder &amp; lots of it.<BR><BR>Note: To come skiing during the Sundance Film Festival (3rd week in January for 10 days) is a prime skiing time! Most of the lodging is taken up with festival goers who don't ski. Hence, uncrowded slopes all for you! Just make your lodging reservations early or stay in SLC so you aren't paying high room rates. Then you can see some films &amp; celebrities &amp; party all night if you still have the energy.<BR><BR>Powder to the people!

gary Dec 25th, 2002 01:39 AM

Utah is absolutely my favourit place for skiing.You find powder snow like nowhere in the world and you will better<BR>snow in March im Utah. Have fun !

Snowbird Dec 26th, 2002 01:02 AM

Park City is a good place to stay.<BR>You can find good information on various<BR>homepages-use Google. Utah is definitely the best place to ski on earth.