Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Skiing near Las Vegas around Christmas time.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 1997, 09:05 AM
Linda

what are my opptions for skiing in the LV area between Dec. 22 and Dec.30? any info. would be appreciated, hotels, restaurants,etc.

Old Oct 20th, 1997, 11:41 AM
L. Montomery

You might very well be able to do this in connection with your Las Vegas trip. Mt.Charleston is only about 40 minutes out of Vegas and could havew snow. I can't remember the name but there id another place a little furether up where those in Vegas go to ski for the day. Something Canyon I think which is right in the mountains with Mt. Charleston.

There is a Lodge there where you can stay but if you are planning to be in Las Vegas, it's a short drive back.

Old Oct 20th, 1997, 11:59 AM
Tricia

My AAA book says the Toiyable National forest lies along the eastern slopes of the Sierra nevada. Winter sports areas include Lee Canyon, Heavenly Valley and Slide Mountain. Mt. Charleston is the 4th highest peak in Nevada and has a hiking trail to the top. Phone 1/702-355-5303.

Old Oct 20th, 1997, 02:27 PM
Scott

Skiing in these areas is nothing more than a novelty. I hope this is not a "ski vacation", you may be disappointed. However, if you want to take a break from the Vegas action, Mt. Charleston would be the closest place to make a few turns. Just don't expect too much. I would call them to see what their snow making program is and when they plan to open. The closest, good (I'll use this term loosely) skiing, is at Brian Head in Utah, about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. See ya on ze'shlopes!

Old Oct 26th, 1997, 09:50 PM
sgorces

Seriously, if you want to ski, Las Vegas has one of the best airline networks in the world. Take a short hop to Salt Lake or Taos, New Mexico. You can go in a weekend easily. You can stay in Salt Lake and drive to any variety of slopes you want. Alta has some of the best powder in the Wastach Mountains. Taos also has terrific skiing and could get dumped on due to El Nino. Even closer, take a commuter flight up to South Tahoe airport and ski Heavenly Valley. You can also skip Vegas and go to Reno, then you can drive to Squaw Valley or Heavenly. How does 10,000 acres and 10,000 feet up sound for powder? As you sit at Heavenly's mid-mountain lodge barbequeing you own steak, you can laugh about the people trying to ski Vegas!