Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Skiing in Utah in March? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/skiing-in-utah-in-march-601452/)

Colle Mar 22nd, 2006 11:19 AM

Skiing in Utah in March?

I am considering a 4 day ski trip March 2007. Since I want a mountain with lots of blue and black runs and easy highway access (so we don't get snowed in and have to deal with closed roads) I am thinking Park City. Your thoughts? Also would like a recommendation in terms of accomodations. Would like a simple room at max. $200 a night where we can walk or take a short bus ride to the hill.
Thanks for your help!

enzian Mar 22nd, 2006 11:57 AM

I think if you want nice black runs you want Alta or Snowbird. It would be very unusual for the road up Little Cottonwood Canyon to be blocked so you are snowed in. Lodging choices are more limited than at Park City, but all are right at the lifts. Both the Lodge and the Cliff Club at Snowbird have hotel rooms. We alos like God Miner's Daughter at Alta, which is more expensive but meals are included in the price.

Dayle Mar 22nd, 2006 12:29 PM

Hi Colle,

I live in Park City, but Snowbird is my favorite! If you are an advanced skier and like steeps, chutes and bowls then Snowbird and Alta are for you. Little Cottonwood Canyon does close sometimes for a few hours for avalanche work, sometimes for longer than that, but not often.

I80 up to Park City is almost never closed, but it was this past Monday morning!

Start your lodging hunt: www.parkcityinfo.com

Park City has free shuttle buses, so ask how close your lodging is to the bus route.

We are having an awesome year. Too bad you can't come out now!

Bird Mar 22nd, 2006 02:06 PM

Colle,

Are you looking at early or late March? Late March is more risky as far as weather and snow conditions. I would stay in Park City for the atmosphere, but there are lots of options in Salt Lake City as well. From Downtown SLC you can use TRAX, the light rail system, coupled with a bus to reach the ski resorts up Little Cottonwood Canyon (NOT a short bus ride however). *Alta is a traditional, local favorite, but not for snowboarders.

dskier Mar 22nd, 2006 04:00 PM

Snowbird and Alta are great, but I'd take PC. There's more to do and there's still great skiing. You can also easily take a free bus to The Canyons (15 mins) or Deer Valley (10 mins).

I stayed at Shadow Ridge a couple of years ago. It's across the street from PC resort and was very reasonable.

Nora_S Mar 22nd, 2006 04:10 PM

If you're going to SKI, it has to be Snowbird/Alta. If you're going for shopping, nightlife, and dining, then Park City is a better choice (although the Bird has a number of nice restaurants too). If you want to spend a lot of money on perfectly groomed blue runs, go to Deer Valley. If you want to try a small, uncrowded place with on-mountain condos, great blue and black runs, and not much else in the way of a village, try Solitude.

But for skiers, Alta is the best of all.

abram Mar 22nd, 2006 07:31 PM

We don't care about nightlife; we don't care about shopping. We ski from 9AM-4PM six days in a row, like blues and blacks.

That being said, Alta is the only ski hill I don't like. I think you'll find plenty of terrain at Park City, the Canyons and Deer Valley. And it is certainly right off the interstate. The shuttle system runs very well.

enzian Mar 22nd, 2006 09:01 PM

What is it you don't like about Alta???!!!???

enzian Mar 22nd, 2006 09:02 PM

And what kind of "terrain" do you find at Deer Valley?

MFNYC Mar 23rd, 2006 05:31 AM

Check out the Park City Radisson. The shuttle stops at the door, and it's a quick ride to Park City or Deer Valley. It also includes a great breakfast and has indoor/outdoor pool & hottub.

Weezie Mar 23rd, 2006 10:32 AM

In shock:....don't like Alta..."ski hill"..."terrain" at Deer Valley???!!!

Follow the advice of Nora_S. She knows. Alta is for skiers. period.

enzian Mar 23rd, 2006 10:53 AM

Just to clarify for Colle---Alta and Snowbird are right next to each other. You can stay at one and ski the other, and even get a combined lift ticket. The base elevation is considerably higher than at Park City, for whatever effect that has on your thoughts.

abram Mar 23rd, 2006 06:30 PM

What I don't like about Alta:
old, slow lifts
the unpleasant "Alta attitude" of staff
the dreaded Germania shuffle traverse
I find it hard to get around the mountain.

Is that enough?

enzian Mar 23rd, 2006 06:43 PM

Yup. I guess we just are aggravated by different things. I don't mind the old-fashioned lifts; have never spoken enough with staff to know they have an attitude; usually manage the Germania traverse with enough speed there's no shuffle, and generally ski the Albion basin area (Supreme and Sugarloaf lifts) until the end of the day, so getting around isn't a problem.

And after spending last weekend at a place with 6-person high-speed lifts, trying to manage getting off with 3 snowboarders and 3 skiers, all trying to avoid a tangle. . .I appreciate Alta more than ever.

LoveItaly Mar 23rd, 2006 07:44 PM

Hi Colle, some family members went to Park City and stayed at the Radisson that MFNYC mentioned and they really enjoyed the Radisson and they love going to Park City for skiing. They also love the fact that they do not have to rent a car.