Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Skiing Colorado - January 2019. 3 30-somethings. Would love some input…

Old Nov 12th, 2018, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to a plan a ski trip to Colorado in January 2019. I am looking to spend 7 days, with 4 of it skiing for 3 30-something adults (myself, my boyfriend and brother). I have done some research and Breckenridge looks like a great spot given the hills, powder and nightlife. I started looking into lift tickets and accommodation and am wondering if anyone has some input on good deals and where to ride. I have read that it is worth spending a couple days at Loveland and a few at Breckenridge. Thoughts? We are driving in from Toronto and will have a car. We went to Vermont and Alberta the past couple years to ski and missed out on lift ticket deals that we heard from locals in the area. If you know of any great lodging options, good deal on lift tickets, opinions on hills to hit, etc., please let me know. I appreciate it!
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 09:51 AM

I"ve been there a couple times, I really like Breckenridge best for skiing. I've also skied Copper and Keystone, they are okay for variety, I just prefer Breckenridge.

Which is a very expensive place. I go alone so just book in the main hotel there, but for others, I think the better deal can be to look at a condo rental or something. Now those are not usually cheaper either but a better deal probably for those wanting more space and stuff. Just use some general website for that. I think Breckenridge's own website probalby has all kinds of acommodations options, anyway, those ski areas usually do.

There are no deals on lift tickets there, which are some of the most expensive in the US. The only deal is you can usually save a little if you buy a multi day pass online in advance a bit. I think it's probably too early to check that out, but that's usually the case. I had an annual Epic pass last year so didn't have to buy tickets so don't recall.

If you buy a multi day pass online at least a week in advance, you can usually get one for about $100 a day.
https://www.breckenridge.com/plan-yo...s/tickets.aspx

Where did you read that it would be a great idea to spend 2 days at Loveland and 2 at Breckenridge and what was the logic? It's a smaller mountain than Breckenridge, Keystone or COpper (in terms of acreage as well as vertifcal drop). . It is about the highest in altitude so may get snow earlier/later than some other areas. It isn't as glitzy as others nor as popular, so the lift tickets are a lot cheaper and it's not as crowded though (even if close to Denver), so if that sounds good to you, sure, why not. I haven't been there to rate the skiing, I just know the mountain stats. It has a lot of intermediate territory.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 11:32 AM

Stay in Breck, but try Keystone and/or Copper for a variety if you want. Historically, I preferred Keystone and Copper to Breck for skiing, but haven't been skiing in a number of years. I'm pretty sure there is still a "Summit Stage" that operates between the resorts, but you'll want to double check. I think it is harder than ever to get discounted passes. Good luck. Used to be able to get them at King Soopers and maybe other grocery stores, but I'm pretty sure that is long gone.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 03:42 PM

Loveland is a much smaller area that does not have the vertical you'll find at the big resorts. Dont bother. Breck, Keystone, even Copper Mt. are good ideas.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 08:23 PM

Loveland is a small day skier area primarily serving Denver residents. It is a nice area with some decent runs at a very reason price. I learned to ski there in '62. There is no lodging or restaurants in the area other than the cafe at the base. So I see no reason to spend any time there.

January is kind of a dead time AND can be very cold so you should be able to find some deals. Breck has a lot of ski in condos along Four o'clock run (ski trail -- not the road). That and the snowflake lift makes it easy to get on the slope. Since I use a season pass each year I don't pay much attention to lift ticket deals around. But will do some checking.

I would stay in Breckenridge. It is my favorite Summit Cty mountain followed by Copper Mt. On the slope Breck is much easier to get around and to get on the mountain than Keystone. And the after ski activity in Breckenridge is very good. Breckenridge has a good free local bus system for getting around. The Keystone bus system is marginal.

One option you might ?? consider would be staying in Frisco. Lodging would be a lot cheaper and has decent bars and restaurants. Frisco is about equal distance to Keystone, Breckenridge, and Copper -- roughly 8 miles and served by the free Summit Stage bus service or you can drive to the day parking lots. Obviously less convenient but the lodging savings may be worth it.

Last edited by fmpden; Nov 12th, 2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 10:25 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
My choice would be Breck also. Staying in Frisco would not be a bad idea.
I was curious about the place we stayed at years ago. It was the Allaire Timbers Inn. Absolutely loved it. Did some research and it's now the Bivvi Hostel. It is SO not a "hostel" type of building, so I checked reviews. This "hostel" has 5 star reviews and many of the guest say the same thing = it's not a hostel.
Check it out -
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Colorado.html
Especially take a look at the photos. It may be a good base for your trip.
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 02:55 AM

There's also a free bus from Frisco to Copper. I think Copper often has discounted tickets.

What level of skiiers are you?
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Breckenridge does sound best. We have decided to do Breckendirge and Keystone for variety. Thank you for your input!
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you...we werent able to find discounted passes but did buy a pass where can get discounts for friends... best of the deals we found!
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 03:43 AM

I might try Copper over Keystone for variety. More spread out, I think.
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. We have locked down skiing and are now looking for a place to stay. We have booked the Alpine Inn in Frisco (tentatively). We chose this because it is clsoe to both Keystone and Breckenridge. However, my boyfriend wont be skiing and now I realize the value of staying in Breckenridge. I have started to look at Air B and B's. Any recommendations for these?
The most economic hotel at he moment is The Village at Breckenridge for CAD330/night.

Thoughts?Advise?Warnings?Encouragement?
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 03:48 AM

There's a free bus to the slopes. He can come and go. There's as much to do in Frisco as the ski areas. If you are going over a holiday it may be close to find something.
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 06:03 AM

The Alpine Inn is an OK, average property. Nothing fancy. You probably got a good price since it is along the interstate at the entrance to Frisco. Have used it many times when making an overnight or two stay for skiing with my sons. It is close to the Summit Stage bus stop. Probably easier to take the bus to the ski areas than driving and parking. Free parking is now very limited at Breckenridge but extensive at Copper and Keystone. Although the parking at Keystone can mean a long hike to the slope area. However, January is fairly slow time so crowds should not be problem except for MLK weekend.

The Village seems high for that time of years but it has been awhile since I priced lodging in Breckenridge. But the Village is super convenient. Two minutes to the chair that loads 12 at a time to get up peak 9. Moves a lot of people in a hurry. The bus from Frisco will stop at the gondola from the main parking lots in Breckenridge and that takes you to peak 8. Very convenient. Far easier to get off the base at Breckenridge than Keystone.

Copper is a much small area than either Keystone or Breckenridge but laid out very well with easier slopes to the west and harder to the east. Of the three areas Copper is the easiest area to ski without a map. Copper has some major renovations this year that I have not seen. However, given the huge amount of snow we have had so far this year I hoping to get up there next week. The last of the ski areas opened this weekend. So far ---- looks like the beginning of a great ski season.

With a car you might hit Vail for dinner and a walk around. It is about a 30 minute drive over Vail pass so make sure the weather is good. Parking at Vail is free after about 4pm in the big parking garages.

Last edited by fmpden; Nov 22nd, 2018 at 06:20 AM. Reason: addition
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 07:15 PM

Hurry and check out the Epic Pass: https://www.epicpass.com/pass-results/passes.aspx
You can't buy it after December 2 so time is important!
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Hey Guys,

Thank you for all your input. We ended up cancelling the Alpine Inn and booking a beautiful Air B and B between Frisco and Breckenridge. Breckenridge is easily accessible for the non-skiier and a close shuttle to both Breckenridge and Keystone for us skiiers.

Does the shuttle run into the night?..for those nights where apres-ski goes a little late. Haha
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 01:25 PM

You just need to check the shuttle schedules. I think it runs as late as 1.15am on an hourly schedule at that time of night. There is a free bus within Breckenridge and then the buses between the ski areas. Curious about where you are staying the between Frisco and Breck. The shuttle bus only stops along the highway so the B&B needs to be next to the highway and a bus stop.

Last edited by fmpden; Nov 28th, 2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

We are staying at an Air B and B that advertised it is the shuttle. We are going to be driving in from Toronto We are going to try and avoid bringing the car into the hills because of traffiry parking costs. It sound like this shuttle makes travel very convenient in the area!

I am also looking at stopping in Boulder on the way down. Any must-see's?
The flat irons and tea rooms looks like a fun day-activity.
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 01:39 PM

Post the address and I will check it out if it is accurate. I need a little explanation for your second sentence. Not sure what you mean or are saying. I don't share the same excitement as some do for Boulder. It is pretty college campus in a very pretty setting especially for US college that tend to be fairly bland. The flat irons is the rock formations that is the backdrop for Boulder. At that time they should be covered with snow. After that -------
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 03:44 PM

I wouldn't bother with Boulder, unless maybe you're a science fan making a visit to NCAR? It's an ok town with pretty bad traffic, and would be out of your way.
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips on Boulder - we will bypass.

I am looking for a great place for a day hike and thought it would be a good spot.

Any recommendations for a winter hike?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -