Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   ski-in / ski-out mammoth (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ski-in-ski-out-mammoth-566719/)

dina4 Oct 24th, 2005 07:18 PM

ski-in / ski-out mammoth

Our family is looking would like to stay at one of the mammoth mountain ski-in / ski-out condo hotel/resorts. There are several, and we're not sure what the pros and cons are of each. Any advice?

Suzie Oct 24th, 2005 08:36 PM

Depends on which lift you want to be near. I have stayed at Juniper Springs many times during the summer. Just tried to get it for MLK weekend but I waited too long and my contact had rented his place. We are staying at the Summit which is across the street from Juniper Springs and the Little Eagle Chair lIft. Actually I don't know if you can get any closer to a lift than Juniper Springs, it is literally right outside the door. The Bridges is ski in ski out. The condos at the Village are extremely close to the new gondola but the noise from the shops and restaurants below may be bothersome to those who retire early in the night. There are condos close to the Canyon lift area that are within easy access. If you stay at Mammoth Mountain resort you are really close to the main gondola but are far from town.

Maybe you could list the ones you are inteerested in.

dina4 Oct 30th, 2005 07:11 AM

thanks, Suzie. We're interested in Juniper Springs, the Summit, Mammoth Mountain resort, or the condos near canyon. Any tips are appreciated... especially ones that might include a bargain!

Suzie Nov 1st, 2005 09:42 PM

Juniper Springs is very nice. It's set up alot like a hotel. You know, all inside, elevator to your floor, inside hallways but when you open the door you are in a one or two bedroom unit with the kitchen right inside the door, the living room and dining room in front of you and the bedroom off the main area. There is a balcony and a gas fireplace. It is super close to the Eagle Express chair, right outside the door. Underground parking 3 jacuzzis and a pool. OUtdoor stainless BBQs and a nice weight room. Coffee cafe on first floor and really nice front desk. Lobby is lodgy feeling with large glass windows. Laundry convenient on each floor.

The Summit is across the downhill street from Juniper Springs. Much lower priced but larger units. More like condos you expect. Each individually owned and decorated. Juniper Springs units are all alike.

Mammoth Mountain Resort is far up the road and outside town. The gondola is quite convenient for those staying there. Dining is available at some of the restaurants there. If you want something elese you will have to drive. I prefer staying near time but it really is a matter of personal choice where you want to stay. The mountain is huge with lots of lifts and runs.

Thought the Summit was the most reasonably priced place we've stayed. We use Mammoth Premiere when we are not using our Juniper Springs contact at summitgateway.com. We've also stayed at Mammoth Green which is right on the Sierra Star golf course and across the street from the Summit. These units are very nice but you can hear the people above you in the 3 bedroom units.

dina4 Nov 2nd, 2005 06:57 AM

suzie,
Thank so much for all the valuable advice. I should start looking into this right away.
Dina