Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ski Destinations - Beginners - Late November - CO/NM (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ski-destinations-beginners-late-november-co-nm-989904/)

shankze Aug 27th, 2013 06:45 AM

Ski Destinations - Beginners - Late November - CO/NM

We are a group of 6 and we are beginners at Skiing. 4 out of the 6 have never skied before. We are considering going around thanksgiving (Nov 27- Dec 1). Can some one suggest good ski destination for beginners in Colorado or New Mexico? Is thanksgiving too early for these destinations?
As this is a short trip, we are not looking for a place with many beginner slopes. We are looking for a place which has 1 or 2 good beginner slopes so that we can learn and get started.

BigRuss Aug 27th, 2013 07:33 AM

Breckenridge (CO) is easy on the newbies. Angelfire (NM) has a reputation for being relatively gentle.

Taos is NOT gentle. Its easiest "beginner" trail that's anything other than a bunny slope would be a blue (intermediate) in most of Colorado.

Check the mountains' own websites to see when ski season starts.

P.S. - don't worry about snowboarders. We did, once. But in skiing places both with and without snowboarders, we found that the snowboarders are more courteous when running down the green trails and mixing with the inept clods (e.g., me) than good skiers have been.

Gretchen Aug 27th, 2013 09:16 AM

The snow cover will be iffy at that time. Many areas have excellent runs for beginners, but you MUST sign up for lessons to get started correctly even those who have skied before.
Breckenridge, Copper, Keystone--all within an hour and a half of Denver.

DebitNM Aug 27th, 2013 01:04 PM

I wouldn't count on NM for snow at end of November. I would hate to go and find little or no snow. We have had a decent amount of rain in July but who knows what <i>might</i> happen snow wise in November. But past experience would say that there is little snow historically in November.

fmpden Aug 27th, 2013 01:44 PM

Personally I think Copper Mountain is one of the best places to learn. The mountain has great skier separation. Probably the best in the country. The village is right at the base so it is very convenient to come and go. At that time year you should find some deals for beginners. It is not as pricy as the biger resorts in the area - Breckenridge, Keystone, Vail. Short of a weather disaster, you will have enough snow to learn as beginners.

Goggle Copper Mountain or start here - www.coloradoski.com/resorts/copper-mountain‎

Gretchen Aug 27th, 2013 02:08 PM

I really agree with Fmpden. It's a really nice mountain, and they have a handle on their prices for food service on the mountain--no small thing when skiing. Terrain is good.

DebitNM Aug 27th, 2013 02:20 PM

What about Buttermilk??

Gretchen Aug 27th, 2013 05:10 PM

I love buttermilk but I think they can have a good beginner experience much closer to Denver and not have to drive so far.

fmpden Aug 27th, 2013 05:57 PM

Buttermilk is a part of the Aspen complex and would be a four hour drive from Denver. I would save Aspen for a time when they could really enjoy it. Buttermilk is one of a few slopes that I have not skied in the west. I fall victim to the sterotype of Buttermilk being a beginner's mountain. For over 25 years I spent a week each year at Snowmass and skied everything but Buttermilk. I think there was even some discussion about changing the name.

historytraveler Aug 27th, 2013 06:25 PM

Buttermilk is a great ski area for beginners and an ego-builder for intermediates,however really not worth the extra drive time when Breck. and Copper Mt.are closer and offer excellent skiing for beginners.

BeachGirl247 Aug 28th, 2013 05:53 AM

I would look at Breckenridge, too. It should have enough snow for the beginner slopes and it is an easy trip from Denver. Plus it offers a lot of aprés ski options, too.
NM snow was quite skimpy last year and there was no Thanksgiving skiing last year. In fact, my son came to ski but ended up playing golf instead.

Winter Park is another I would look into as it's another beginner friendly resort. And, taking lessons will make your time so much more enjoyable.

DebitNM Aug 28th, 2013 06:05 AM

OK, thanks for updating Buttermilk info for me. Wasn't sure if this was a feasible option for OP.

fmpden Aug 28th, 2013 11:29 AM

Everyone is just name dropping. Only one we haven't mentioned is Keystone. All ski resorts have adequate beginning slopes and instructions and you would do fine at any of them. But from personal experience I think Copper Mountain with the base set up and skier separation, it is a notch better than anything else in the area for someone who wants to have an excellent beginning experience.

Gretchen Aug 28th, 2013 11:32 AM

I agree about Copper, as I said above--when I mentioned Keystone!! LOL