Where to stay on drive back from Bar Harbor to Philadelphia

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're stopping in Ogunquit overnight on our way up to Arcadia. Does anyone have any suggestions for a different place to stay on our way back? We used to do the trip in a one day drive but we're bringing our dog this time and really don't want to subject him to such a long car ride.
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:36 AM

Ogunquit again because you're going to love it there.

Actually though, if its july or August, Ogunquit can have terrible traffic snarls up and down route 1 ,with no way out. Probably not the greatest place for just an overnighter, as you'l have to deal with all that traffic just to get to your motel. Same problem if you choose Kennebunkport. Maybe Portland or Portsmouth?
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I forgot to mention that is will be in the middle of September.

I did look at Portsmouth but I couldn't find a nice place to stay where I could have the dog. He's a 30 pound whippet and very good but many places add another $75 – $100 per night and that's just too much.

Kennebunkport may be a good try. This will be a Saturday so I might run into a 2 night requirement.

We've stayed in Ogunquit before and did just love it!
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:14 AM

Kennebunkport is a pretty dog-friendly town so that might work. After Labor Day, things empty out and after about September 15th, it should be even better as far as trying for a one night stay.
Are you just looking for a place to break up your trip, or do you plan to poke around the town? When I break up a trip like that, I like to get a little closer to home before I overnight. For you, that would mean continuing on at least another hour or 2 so you'd be probably be somewhere in Massachusetts. If you want to do that, The Boston outer suburbs have a huge number and variety of hotels, some of which should be dog friendly. I like the area around Lexington and Concord which also have nice town centers to walk around and park areas nearby for you and the pooch.
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

I do think Kennebunkport is not close enough to home. The night we need is the 15th – right when they all seem to want 2 nights.

I'll check out Lexington and concord next. Thanks!
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM

We do the same trip with a dog, and stay at a Motel 6 near Hartford CT on the way back. Gets more driving behind us, and they don't charge for a dog.

~Liz
Old May 18th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I found a couple of dog-friendly options. First an aLoft hotel in Lexington that is across the street from the Minuteman Natl Park which has hiking trails. No pet fee, moderate room rate. Looks hip and modern - worried it is too noisy, tho. Second is a Hyatt in Windsor, just outside of Hartford. Large suites, $25 pet fee, around the same price. No idea of what to do around there.
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:01 PM

I've stayed in that Aloft Hotel and the sister property across the parking lot, The Element.
Aloft can get noisy because they aim for a trendy crowd and one time I was there, there had an engagement part take over the entire lobby bar. Music even in the elevator! Small pool which was not too crowded when I was there on 2 diiferent trips. I still like the location though. Rooms are cool but with tiny bathrooms and entry area (no closet, just a small rack and shelves)
I really like Minute Man Park and as I mentioned Lexington Center close by is a nice small walkable downtown with some decent restaurants and cafes.

I know the location of the Hyatt(Hyatt Place?) in Windsor, if it's the one near a Hilton Garden Inn. Really dull location IMO as it's mostly for people who need close access to nearby corporations or the airport. We entertained ourselves in the evening by going to Target
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:24 PM

There is absolutely nothing tourist worthy in the Windsor, CT area other than the airport.
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

I booked the Elements hotel in Lexington which is across the street from the aLoft. Great deal with AAA pricing, no fee for dog, no deposit, able to cancel. With the park and the Lexington Center nearby it seems like a good location.
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:03 PM

Hope you enjoy it! The Element has larger rooms and a more laid back style, so you may prefer that. I may go back to one of the 2 hotels later this summer too.
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Where would you recommend we go for dinner? We like all kinds of food but after all the lobster we'll be eating in Maine it needs to be good!
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
La Quinta Inns have no pet fee, I know there is a decent one near Boston/Cambridge in Somerville Mass.
Old May 19th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Just checked out the La Quinta price for the heck of it and WOW it's expensive. Doesn't pay to get that close to Boston if I don't plan on going into the city I think.
Old May 19th, 2012, 05:36 AM

I was going to suggest The Element in Lexington. Good choice.

I stayed there last year on the way back from Bar Harbor to NY. It's a great hotel and easy to get to from the highway.

Lexington is a good midway point between BH and Philly and a picturesque little town. There are plenty of restaurants from which to choose in town.