COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Skagit tulip festival and la Connor April 2020

Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi. 5 women late 50s staying in la Connor WA 4/22 to 4/29/20: for tulip festival. Likely will do 2 days , mornings there. Iím seeking information, itinerary help, with what else to do, things I see of interest and could use any tips on are;
San Juan islands , getting there. To see do, eat there ? How much time to allow.
mount hood or mount rainier? I saw a gondola ride with restaurant; time for this? Is there a train, or other way to travel to mountains?
does anyone know of a good wine tour, or driver from laconnor area?
any must eats in la Connor and things to do?
Any odd or unusual off road to visit, see? Like road side attractions, worlds best pie ?
Are ubers readily accessible?
we have a car but night driving no one likes to do. Thanks for any tips and insight!
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 08:40 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to US board and tagged for Washington state
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 05:45 AM

I'll take these one at a time.

San Juan Islands. You reach them via car ferry from Anacortes, which is around a half hour's drive from La Conner. The three most popular (and inhabited) islands for visitors are San Juan Island, Orcas Island, and Lopez Island. Most first-time visitors prefer San Juan Island, because it has more food and accommodation options, and a couple of interesting destinations, including picturesque Roche Harbor and Lime Kiln Point State Park, from which one can often see orcas (killer whales) from shore. While you can do a day trip from Anacortes, it can make for a very full day, and an overnight might be preferable. https://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedule/

Mount Hood is at least a 6 hour drive from La Conner and Mount Rainier National Park is at least 4 1/2 hours. Both mountains will be covered in deep snow (and likely clouds) and to enter Mount Rainier NP before May you need to be carrying snow chains, which are prohibited by rental car companies. I suspect the gondola you're thinking of is the one at the Crystal Mountain ski resort - https://www.crystalmountainresort.co...ainier-gondola . Crystal is not in the national park, so chains won't be required; it's probably a 3 1/2 - 4 hour drive from La Conner. Frankly I'd drop the idea of any mountain touring at this time of year.

Wine tours - there are none (that I know of) near the Skagit Valley. There's a cluster of wineries in the Seattle suburb of Woodinville. https://goo.gl/maps/BStaiF6RsoUW1uht8 https://woodinvillewinecountry.com/

Food - I don't have any specific recommendations for restaurants or cafes in La Conner. It's not that big a place so I'm sure you can find something that works.

Ubers - no idea. I imagine there are some but probably not very many.

Nearby attractions. This is where the area comes into its own. Google the places on this map - https://goo.gl/maps/92P1iGAYysdA2d2k6 .

These include Deception Pass, the stunning narrow gap between Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands, where at tide change the water racing through the channel beneath the bridges can be nothing short of awesome.

Coupeville and Langley are two very picturesque waterfront villages (not dissimilar to La Conner itself) and Port Townsend, reached by ferry from the Keystone ferry landing near Coupeville, is a marvelous Victorian-era fishing port, now home to numerous shops and galleries, full of fabulous historic buildings.

(Port Townsend)

Fort Casey State Park, next to the Keystone ferry terminal, features a nice lighthouse and very interesting coastal defense gun batteries, well worth a visit.

Farther down the island, I'd stop at the Whidbey Pie shop in Greenbank for... duh. Fabulous. Whidbey Pies & Cafe

And finally, you ought to be in the area when a visit to Meerkerk Gardens is very worthwhile. This garden, famous for its collection of rhododendrons, is a must-see during April and May. Meerkerk Gardens

Last edited by Gardyloo; Mar 4th, 2020 at 05:55 AM.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 06:16 AM

We have a beautiful Tulip festival in Oregon near Woodburn. It starts on March 20 through the 24th. The Wooden Shoe tulip farm will be open through most of May so you might want to come south if you want to see more tulips.
If you want a train up through the mountains, the Amtrak Empire Builder leaves Seattle at 4:40PM every day and gets to the small town of Leavenworth WA about 8PM. Leavenworth is a nice Alpine type town that looks a bit like Bavaria.
If you want to come to Oregon to see Mt. Hood, take the I-205 split off I-5 then take I-84 east. Take the left exit off I-84 to see Multnomah Falls (Oregon's tallest). You might want to spend a night in Hood River.
Head south from Hood River on Rt. 35 on the east side of Mt. Hood to US 26. Off US 26 take the road out to Timberline. The two ski areas on Mt. Hood are the only ones in Oregon that currently have over 100" of snow and great skiing.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 06:49 AM
mms

I agree with a lot of what gardyloo wrote. LaConner is a cute little town, but gets really busy during the tulip festival, and on the weekends during that time it is an absolute madhouse. I would try to get out of there on the weekends and explore other areas. Crystal is where the gondola is. Double check if you go there because the ski area has just recently implemented a rule that you have to have a valid lift ticket to even park there, so double check what you would need to do to just take the gondola up. I would hate for you to get there and not be able to park.

Even in the summer, Mt Hood does not hold a candle to Mt Rainier. Your timing is rough for Rainier though for the reasons already mentioned. It is beautiful and I hate for visitors to not make a trip there, but it sounds like if you really want to go, look into a tour.

As for eating in LaConner, there are a lot of places on the main strip. We haven't found any that are standouts though. They are not bad, but nothing that I would suggest other than just stopping wherever you feel.

If you head over to Whidbey, in Coupeville is the Knead and Feed. The BEST breakfast and lunch place!!! They close at 3 or so.

For a nearby place to visit, head south to Snohomish. First street parallels the river and the street is lined with unique shops and very good restaurants. It used to be known as the antique capitol of the nw, and while there are still a lot of those shops, there are many more regular shops/boutiques now. Plus quite a few tasting rooms. It is a fabulous little downtown!!! Everyone I have taken here is amazed at this fairly unknown little gem.

Woodinville is where the wineries are in this area. There are two clusters, one is the Warehouse District and the other the Hollywood District. The warehouse one is just that, wineries in a business complex, but there are a ton here and they are quite nice! Just no vineyards. Then the Hollywood area is just couple miles from there and there are some very good restaurants mixed in, and it is all walkable. There are more wineries in this area, like Januik, that you would drive to, that are. very good. Since we live near here, we have never done a tour so I can't help with that, but you could google or just contact a winery and ask for their suggestions for tour guides.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 06:56 AM
mms

BTW, you might see some of the beautiful snow geese in the Skagit Valley. There are also a lot in Snohomish, right along highway 9 immediately south of the downtown area.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by mms View Post
BTW, you might see some of the beautiful snow geese in the Skagit Valley. There are also a lot in Snohomish, right along highway 9 immediately south of the downtown area.
Mid- to late April will be on the cusp, but if they're there it can be spectacular. (BTW that's Mount Baker in the background.)

Old Mar 4th, 2020, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great info!

One more ... are there any hot springs? In April...

thanks again!

this is very helpful. Knowing distance is key, as well as things to do.
i really appreciate it!

Old Mar 4th, 2020, 06:37 PM

On the east side of Carson WA there is a commercial hot spring resort. It is off Rt. 14 which is the highway along the Washington side of the Columbia River. There are other hot springs (some free) that you have to walk to (half mile or more). At some of them you run the risk of seeing some naked people.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 06:28 AM
mms

Um, Carson Hot springs that Tom mentioned are 5-6 hours from LaConner.

The only hot springs I am familiar with is Goldmyer, which is about 45 minutes east of Seattle. You need a reservation and have to hike in from the road, and right now the road is closed from the county and they don't know when it will reopen, but you could keep an eye on that and see. It's a real experience!
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by funclc View Post
One more ... are there any hot springs? In April...
Closest is probably Doe Bay on Orcas Island. Clothes optional, and don't forget weed is legal in Washington.

https://doebay.com/
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 07:13 AM
mms

No pot or smoking allowed at Doe Bay.

You could head up into Canada to Harrison Hot springs. It is only about 2 hours from LaConner. There is also Baker Hot Springs near Baker Lake which is only around 90 minutes from LaConner. This one is another that you need to hike in and is a true natural hot spring, and again would need to check road conditions.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all this information!
Im going for tulips, so April is the month. Weather may be a hindrance for other things I want to do. But I’ll be on the ready if weather allows. I’ll be checking out all the websites and names above for as much as we can fit in.

If anyone thinks of other things to add I’ll be checking back, but I thank you all so much for the insight!