Six Flags New England with 3-1/2 yr old girl and 8 yr old boy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister-in-law is coming next weekeng with niece and nephew in tow (BIL is staying home). We plan to visit Six Flags on a Sunday, arriving when it opens at 10 AM. As we have no children ourselves, we need advice. I assume we will have about 2 hours before it gets crowded. I will be with my 8 year old nephew (I'm a 46 year old man) while my wife will hang out with SIL and 3-1/2 year old niece. Assuming both nephew and uncle are fearless, what are the best rides to head for first? What should SIL, niece and spouse do (waterpark?) How strict are they about smuggling in food i.e. granola bars, bottled water, fresh fruit? - we don't really want to eat $15 hamburgers if that can be avoided. Any other advice? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 04:23 AM

I've never been to this 6 Flags, so I can't help you with choice of rides, but you should have no problem bringing in food. I've brought food to every theme park I've ever been to. If you are going to split up into 2 group, I'd suggest bringing walkie talkies, so you can meet up and communicate.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:19 AM

I've been to Six Flags New England twice, once with kids and once without them. My favorite ride there was the Superman rollercoaster. Unfortunately it may still be closed because of a death that occurred on it not too long ago--a rather rotund young man with a learning disability was not "strapped in" properly by the ride attendant. The poor young man was both too large to fit into the seat and not of the mental capacity to note for himself that the locking mechanism wasn't quite right.
If the ride is open again, by all means go for it!

There's another rollercoaster called, I believe, The Time Warp. It's double ended, so you start off at one end, go through several loops, and end high up at the other end through momentum. Then gravity kicks in, and you're pulled backward through the same scene.

I personally do not care for the wooden rollercoasters because they jolt my spine and give me a headache.

The one ride that looks tame but actually scared me more than anything else I've ever ridden is a little ride that's built up off the ground a couple of stories. I don't remember the name, but it looks like you're riding in a little goldmine cart. The cart is placed so that you can't see the rails and every time it makes a sharp turn it feels like you could tumble right out. No inversions, no loops, but I was still quite shaky when I got off.

For the younger tike, there's a section with a Loony Toon theme that will be perfect for her. She can meet characters, ride age- and size-appropriate rides, and some of it is shaded.

The two water rides are also fun and not scary, but I think the young one might be too small for it.

We took plenty of water with us into the park. No problem whatsoever. I don't imagine that snacks would be a problem. Don't forget to take sunscreen, too, as most of the time there's no shade. And foot-friendly shoes, as the pavement can burn your feet if the soles are too thin.

There's also a water park there, but I've not used it. It might be a nice way to end the day by cooling off there. Have fun!
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:16 PM
sam

Not to be a stick in the mud, but their website prohibits bringing your own food and coolers, but you could try?!!

They provide maps at the gate that tell you the bigger rides, they're obviously the ones with the higher height requirements. There is a section that has rides and shows for smaller kids too. The adjacent waterpark has doubled in size and you may want to spend your time there once you've exhausted the kiddie rides. I don't think they allow backpacks unless they're see-thru plastic, but you may be able to sneak snacks in a beachbag?? Best to check their website. http://www.sixflags.com/parks/neweng...kpolicies.html
Have a great time! We usually do SFNE once per year, but we're going to Hershey this time! Enjoy!