Broadway for Young Teens

Search

Broadway for Young Teens

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broadway for Young Teens

I'm taking two boys -- 12 and 13 -- to NYC and we're going to see a musical. I was thinking about "Movin' Out" or "Rent". Any opinions? Or suggestions for other musicals?
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:29 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't picture most 12 and 13 year olds getting that big a kick out of Movin' Out. Rent -- maybe. Hairspray or even Mama Mia probably. The Producers or Wicked -- yes.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:39 PM

You would have to understand the lyrics and choreography to enjoy "Movin' Out" - not likely at 12 & 13.

Highly recommend "The Producers", maybe even "Putnam County Spelling Bee", maybe...
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:45 PM
JJ5

Would not take them to see "Rent" either.

I just took similar age bracket to "Wicked" in Chicago. The boys would like that one much more than "M. Mia" or "Hairspray" if it is available.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Hairspray or Wicked would be a good choice.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 04:57 PM

I took a nephew that age and his firend to Rent and they loved it - but they're NYC kids. If these are sheltered or naive the drug and prostitution themes might be a little dark for them.

Reco the Producers ( a tiny bit naughty but fun), Wicked or Hairspray. Or perhaps Blue Man Group.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:07 PM
jgg

We will be in NYC over Thanksgiviing, and after much thought and discussion with others, we are taking our kids (age 10 and 13) to Hairspray and Blue Man Group.

We would have loved to see Wicked or Spamalot but they were sold out and I'm not interested in payng scalper prices. Spamalot is a Broadway version of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and I would suspect a 12 and 13 year old boy would love it!

We loved seeing Rent (not with our kids) but agree the themes may be a bit much depending on your kids.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:08 PM

I think they would like the Lion King. I took my 15 year old daughter this summer. She made a face when I told her which play, but I assured her she would like it. Actually, she loved it. We both did. Bet your boys will too. My daughter liked Lion King better than Hairspray. I

The theatre is rather small, and from what I could tell downstairs, any seat in the house would be fine, even the back rows. Don't know about upstairs...
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 09:45 AM

I dont' know when you are going, but my daugher is a theater bug who lives in NY and although she is 23, she might know more. I woud skip Rent unless they are city savvy kids - Wicked, Spamalot great if you can get tickets. Lots of inside jokes in Spamalot that you will get and they won't etc but they will enjoy it - it's the best laughs I've had in a long time. We loved Putnam Spelling Bee too. Blue Man group, if they haven't seen it in a city already is a definite positive. I'll ask my daugher and repost ifshe has some suggestions. Are you getting tickets in advance or are you going in two-fer line in the city? they've split that line now, so the musical, etc line is still long and the play line shorter...but I will ask her and aget back.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 09:52 AM

When will you be here? The amount of time you have to buy tickets can be a huge factor (i.e. Spamalot is sold out for quite a while).

Spelling Bee could be a fun choice. The characters in the show are around their age, so they might get a kick out of it.

Producers could also be a good choice, and possibly Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. There is some slapstick humor that they might find fun. Of course, without knowing your kids, it's a bit hard to tell!

And I would also agree with The Lion King suggestion.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Got a hold of my daughter. Here's her take:
without knowing the boys (are they theater nuts, into plays at aschool, etc - will they want to return home saying they saw something cool and that others have heard about ie; lion king, or that doesn't matter if they don't see a current big and long running hit, etc) As she said, if regular 12 adn 13 yr old boys, she'd choose the following:
Stomp: off broadway but awesome (we have seen it before in nyc and boston) lots of noise (not too loud for you though) instruments, dancing but the funky kind they would like, etc. look it up she said at stomponline.com (she thinks, but you will find it). She also suggests, if you do not have ticket broker and want to buy beforehand to go on Theatermania.com - lots of choices there and you can check specials and prices. - you might have to join she is member, but doesn't remember if you have to join to buy - but she says that takes two seconds and jsut don't click on the "keep sending me email updates" line.
Spamalot is great, as I said, but maybe they won't get monty python jokes she says, - don't know your budget either, you can always get tickets to everything thru concierge or ticket broker, if you are willing to pay 200-300 a seat.
She suggests also thinking about Hairspray, Beauty and Beast or Lion King if they are into a story they might k now, but she thinks Hairspray not their era and they may not appreicate - the whole dance/tv/american bandstand type story. She also thought Blue Man Group if they haven't seen - boys always love that one. men in blue doing wild and crazy things with props and musical instruments. Lion King is great show/ amazing costumes and set and of course, they are familiar with story by now.
She thinks they might not enjoy Mama Mia as much if they haven't lived thru the Abba music/dancing thing she thinks half the fun of that one is remembering "oh yea, i know that song, i never knew it was abba"
She loved Putnam Spelling Bee and had seen over a year ago when it was starting stages and also recently. She loved it and thinks they would enjoy, but her take is if they haven't been exposed to as much theater/musicals/etc two boys would love Stomp, Blue Man Group, Lion King, better.
I say no to Movin' Out. I've seen twice - but I think you enjoy more if you love Billy Joel music (and I think Michael Cavanaugh if he is still the guy playing piano and singing is amazing) but if they don't love his music and the story moves from small town to vietnam and perhaps, not knowing where they are in their street savvy experiences and what they've been exposed to, some war time sequences and also some sketchy nightclub dancing, sex simulation type that might raise questions or go over their heads, not knowing them hard to say. mixed dancing as far as ballet, jazz, lots of jumping and moving which is great, but maybe not their cup of tea. Although she is 23 she has younger brother and also still babysits overnights for family with boys 9 and 12 which she has done since she was 19, so this is her take.
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:26 AM

"Spamalot great if you can get tickets. Lots of inside jokes in Spamalot that you will get and they won't. . . "

I don't know. If they're like a lot of 12 and 13 year olds today, it might be the other way around!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM

I'll second the recommendation for Stomp. We took our then 10 and 13 year old boys over Christmas break last year and we all loved it! Really hip and funky. My younger one loves all theatre, but the 13 year old is a bit harder to please - I think Stomp has been his favorite. They also liked Les Miserables. Blue Man Group is also a good choice.

Have fun!
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 05:04 PM

After thinking it over, I don't think I would recommend "Spelling Bee" for teens that young. There is quite a bit of language in the show, and some rather adult humor. Sorry!

The other suggestions are great though!