Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Single woman in Austin for 1 week - where to stay, eat, hear music?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Andrea

I'm a San Francisco resident, going to Austin for the first time, for a week in July. I've heard such great things about Austin (the music, friendly people, relatively affordable, etc.) that I'm going to check it out as a possible place to relocate to.
Since none of my friends/family can get away to go with me, I'm just going to go by myself. So I'm hoping someone can help me with a good, central place to stay (preferably near Colo. River walking/running trails?) And ideas on places to eat/hear music that I'd feel comfortable going to alone. I'm in my late '30s, and fairly outgoing (I've traveled to foreign countries by myself). So, considering how friendly everyone says Austin is, I'm guessing it should be (relatively) easy and fun to explore, even solo!

Thanks for any and all advice,

Andrea

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 09:28 AM
lisa

Andrea - I just topped my trip report from last summer for you -- lots of restaurant recommendations & other stuff. Have a great time -- I love Austin (although I'm wondering if you'll find its weather oppressively hot, especially compared to SF).

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Tina

Andrea - Please give us an update when you get back as to how the job market and living conditions are. Like you, I'm a single woman in my mid-30's. I've been told great things about Austin and have given some thought to looking into relocation there as well. Before I book my flight, I'd like to hear back from someone who's been there recently for the same purposes. Thanks! Have a great trip.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:06 PM
sunshine

Austin is great! You should stay somewhere downtown so you will have access to those things you mentioned. There are a couple of Hotels right on Town Lake with trails. Be prepared for the heat. We play in Austin on Lake Travis this past weekend was 102 degrees and then you add the heat idex makes it like 120. Im a native Texan im used to it but alot of come to Texas and complain about the heat, you'll get used to it. My husband and I are going to SF in September maybe I could pick your brain awhile?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Allison

Andrea,
Hotels ON Lake Austin with close access to walking/jogging trails are The Raddison, Four Season and Hyatt. All are downtown on the river.
If you don't need to be on the river but still want to be downtown, look into the Driscoll. It's on 6th St. near the music/club scene and is very nice. For something a little more eclectic try The San Jose. It's five minutes (at most) from downtown but accoss the street from another popular club, The Continential Club and is within walking distance from good restaurants...as are are the hotels I mentioned. Yes, it will be hot. All of these hotels have a pool, except the Driscoll.

Sunshine,.....have to disagree about your report of 102 last weekend. I LIVE at Lake Travis (between Windy Point and Hippee Hollow) and it was only 97 at my house.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Andrea

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've booked a room at the Radisson - since it's right on Town Lake. But I'll also check out the San Jose when I'm there. I hear it's great, so it might be fun to stay there a night or two.
I'm getting a little nervous about how hot/humid it's going to be ... but I guess I'll adjust! Still would love some ideas for what to do in the evenings, that I could do alone (I'm not looking to be 'picked up' - just want to experience Austin while I'm there!)
Thanks again.
Andrea

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 12:30 PM
lisa

In terms of the evenings, get a copy of the free paper (is it the Chronicle?) that tells what's going on around town, and go hear some music. There is always somebody good playing someplace -- I think Austin is one of the best places in the country to hear live music, especially lesser-known folk acts and singer-songwriters, but you can find a little bit of everything. I have heard some great performers on my trips there -- Jimmy LaFave, Lucinda Williams, Tish Hinojosa...

The Continental Club on South Congress is fun. There are lots of little music venues all over the place where I think you'd feel comfortable by yourself that are not "pickup" places (although if a mysterious stranger in Wranglers, boots, and a hat asks you to two-step, I'd think twice before turning that down).

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Owen O'Neill

I'm also going by myself to check it out for the same reasons. I have added motivation as one of my favorite musical artists (Monte Montgomery) is playing a "birthday bash" and CD release show at Antone's on the weekend of the 11th. I checked with other of his fans for coffee and BBQ recommendations and here's what they suggested:

BBQ - Rudy's, County Line, the Salt Lick, Hanover's (this one may be outside Austin)

Coffeehouses - Flipnotics (or any on of a zillion Starbucks - yawn).

A heads up - I bid on priceline.com for a two star hotel at $25 per night and got the Sheraton downtown (a three star - ghot an autopmatic upgrade as apparently priceline has no two star offerings in that area)- fantastic deal. Not sure if you could get that rate during the week but friends of mine bid blind a week after I did for the same weekend and also got the Sheraton for that price. Also - I posted about a month back for Austin info - do a search and there should be some decent info in that post.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 06:07 PM
Andrea

Owen - thanks for the priceline.com tip! I'd booked the Radisson, but checked out priceline anyway. I got the Omni downtown (3-star hotel) for $40/night - for the whole week! Incredible deal. Thank you so much (and for all the other tips, too).
Andrea

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Owen O'Neill

Austin update - I'm in Dallas this week on business and met some Austin folks - they advise that the city just started free Sunday concerts on "the lawn" (somewhere downtown - not sure where). BB King played last week and reaction has been so positive that they will continue these for the rest of the summer. Worth checking out...