Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Single trip to NYC for DM concert, hotel advice required (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/single-trip-to-nyc-for-dm-concert-hotel-advice-required-1374398/)

Island_bound Jun 6th, 2017 11:41 AM

Single trip to NYC for DM concert, hotel advice required

Hi everyone,
I'm a single woman, traveling alone to NYC for 4 days in September, mainly to visit a Depeche Mode concert at Madison Square Garden. There are a few hotels just around the corner, such as "Fairfield Inn Chelsea" for example but I heard the area is just not very attractive or charming for a tourist trip. Two other hotels I think about are the "Royalton" 44 W 44th St., and the "Dream Midtown" 210 West 55th Street. Now, would it be safe for me walk alone from MSG along 7th av. at a rather late hour to either one of these hotels or would you recommend to just stay nearby? According to Google maps it'll take me around 17/23 minutes to walk.
I have no idea at which time approx. the concert might be over, entrance starts at 7:30 pm. Also I guess it'll be rather difficult to catch a cab, when so many people come out at the same time, neither I'm sure about the sub that late.
Advice anyone?

janisj Jun 6th, 2017 11:52 AM

It will be safe to walk from MSG. The concert won't let out at a 'rather late hour' by Manhattan standards.

(I've traveled solo to NYC twice specifically for events at MSG and stayed 6 to 10+ blocks away and walked it no problems at all)

ekscrunchy Jun 6th, 2017 11:54 AM

You can be just about assured of walking safely anywhere in Manhattan at midnight.

Absolutely no problem in midtown.

Stay where you like; you can take bus, subway, Uber, Via, or walk to your hotel, wherever it is located. Don't stay near MSG just to be near the concert.

happytrailstoyou Jun 6th, 2017 12:48 PM

<i>You can be just about assured of walking safely anywhere in Manhattan at midnight.</i>

I think the OP will be safe walking the places she wants to walk but I lived in Manhattan for thirty years and I would not advise her to feel safe walking <b>anywhere</b> in that borough.

A friend of mine was mugged at 8 pm on one of the side streets east of Grand Central Station, and there are many corners of Manhattan where I would not feel safe wandering around even in daylight.

NewbE Jun 6th, 2017 01:17 PM

There are still a lot of people out and about near midnight in Midtown, so you will feel safe. I really like the Royalton. Walked past the Dream this past April and liked the location and the look of it from the outside. I agree that you could stay just about anywhere you like and take the subway; I do highly recommend a hotel near a subway stop.

DebitNM Jun 6th, 2017 01:59 PM

Highly recommend using Via app to get rides; fast, cheap and easy.

$5 flat rate for rides

https://ridewithvia.com/

doug_stallings Jun 6th, 2017 02:10 PM

The hotels around Penn Station aren't in the most charming area, but it's particularly convenient if you are a tourist. You would be a few minutes from Madison Square Garden, near excellent restaurants in Korea Town, and have a choice of reasonably priced mid-range hotels. If I were looking for a hotel to go to a concert, I'd look there and also in Chelsea, the area immediately south of Madison Square Garden rather than in the theater district. It's easy enough to head north if you want to see a play (or take the subway a couple of stops).

The Royalton is an easy walk from MSG, the Dream Hotel less so, simply because you have to traverse the entirety of Times Square to get there. But both are in what I would consider safe areas. But I think you'd appreciate being able to walk just across the street, say to the Stewart Hotel, which used to be the Affinia Manhattan. But there are many choices. Just be aware that after Labor Day hotel rates in NYC shoot up, so if you are seeing any good deals now (particularly that will allow you to cancel without any cost or penalty), just book something to hold a room, and then keep looking in case you see something that is more appealing or a better deal.

NewbE Jun 6th, 2017 02:15 PM

<the Dream Hotel less so, simply because you have to traverse the entirety of Times Square to get there. >

EXCELLENT point! Crossing TS is an incredible PITA, to be avoided if at all possible.

ekscrunchy Jun 7th, 2017 05:04 AM

Happy I don't know when you lived here, but I've lived through the very, very bad in this borough and I can tell you that it is a very different place now. We all have ouor own comfort zones and comfort levels. I would feel safe anywhere in Manhattan in the late evening. I often travel to areas that one might think were unsafe and that is far from the case now. Of course something could happen anywhere;; there were recent shootings in midtown. But in general, I feel safe in my city and so do many others.

musicfan Jun 7th, 2017 06:40 AM

Since your trip is in September, check out the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square South on West 37th. It's a brand new hotel accepting reservations for stays after September 1st and is offering great rates--I booked 5 nights there in mid-November at an unbelievable price.

tuscanlifeedit Jun 7th, 2017 01:21 PM

musicfan, I'm looking to book for January or February and I'm so grateful for your tip on this hotel.

musicfan Jun 7th, 2017 02:57 PM

You're welcome! :) It might be even easier to get a good rate in January or February than November! Best of luck and have a great time!

IMDonehere Jun 7th, 2017 04:09 PM

When The Garden lets out for any event, 7th Ave between 31st and 34 streets becomes almost impassable. But 7th Avenue between 35 and 41 Sts can be desolate during any evening. It is not dangerous, but it simply not crowded like other avenues at night.

NYC is the safest large city in America and Manhattan is incredibly safe.

That is not to say, to be aware of your surroundings.

You will be astounded how many people are on the subways and on certain streets at all hours.

The queue for cabs on 7th Ave can be incredibly long. But there others including one on 31 St between 7th and 8th Avenue and another on 8th Ave.

This is the fourth and must close in nine years to make room for a renovated Penn Station and a new Post Office. A new location has not been decided.

Inakauaidavidababy Jun 7th, 2017 05:14 PM

Curious IMD,

I never knew the history of MSG. Did they ever try to change the name. My husband for years refused to call the new boston garden the garden. Because they rebranded it. Others refused corporate rebranding and continued to call it the garden. Granted we managed off with a couple of celtic seats and parkey boards and a cup of hockey ice!

Maybe they'll name the new new new new garden The Shake Shack

Fra_Diavolo Jun 7th, 2017 05:51 PM

>>>This is the fourth . . . <<<

And the biggest urban planning mistake since Nero's Gold House. I want a complete separation of Sport and State!

IMDonehere Jun 7th, 2017 06:43 PM

As far I know they never tried to change the name as they believe Madison Square Garden is a valuable brand unto itself. Here in NYC, there are about 4 cable stations with variations on MSG name. During the hockey/basketball season they could have 4 different games on a given night.

And Madison Square Garden is a publicly traded company.

Fra-The tearing down of the old Penn Station, which became the present MSG, which was designed to look like a combination of the Baths of Caracalla and Gare d'Orsay. That started the building preservation movement in NY.

Inaka

As a hockey fan, I know about the old Boston Garden. When the first built the new arena, it was called the Fleet center. And although it was named after the bank, I always though of it as the Fleet Enema Center.

Inakauaidavidababy Jun 7th, 2017 06:51 PM

LOL No blood no foul

mclaurie Jun 8th, 2017 05:13 AM

You haven t sàid anything about price. Sept. can be awfully expensive in hotels. The Royalton is a decent choice but the area south of MSG is another option worth considering.. The Ace hotel is worth a look and the Eventi, closer to MSG is very nice.

sf7307 Jun 8th, 2017 08:11 AM

LOL No blood no foul

Ha! I always say "scratch your face. Harder". (Only the hockey fans here will get that.

Sorry for the aside OP

IMDonehere Jun 8th, 2017 08:36 AM

Years ago, players would cut a hole in the palm of the glove, so you could hold without the ref seeing. That was banned about 40 years ago.