Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Single Guy wants to get away (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/single-guy-wants-to-get-away-394670/)

Orpheus Feb 2nd, 2004 09:57 PM

Single Guy wants to get away

Hey, Im a single guy from Vancouver looking to travel alone somewhere in north america. A place that I explore, meet new people, enjoy the sights and sounds and lose myself in if nessecary. It would also be nice I could find something cheap (but not too cheap!) Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Orpheus Feb 2nd, 2004 10:11 PM

Oh I suppose I should add that I am 21 years old. That might help for suggestions.

BeachBoi Feb 3rd, 2004 04:56 AM

Can youi maybe narrow it down a bit?Beach.mountains,city.....a few more details will help!

Kal Feb 3rd, 2004 06:00 AM

If I were ever single again, yeah right, I'd head for New Orleans, San Antonio or Chicago.
Montreal was very nice too. And all of these cities can be done on the cheap.

beanweb24 Feb 3rd, 2004 06:09 AM

I live in Washington, DC, and love it. It's got a ton of sight seeing stuff to do, extremely easy to get around with public transportation, remarkably clean, free entry into amazing museums, and a whole section of the Washingtonian Magazine (www.washingtonian.com) dedicated to "Cheap" eating. Great neighborhoods for you to explore, lots of areas for fun nightlife. I love it here and highly recommend it as a travel destination. I've been here for 6 years and am still amazed at how beautiful the monuments are when they are lit up at night.

Check out www.quickbook.com for hotel ideas for all price ranges.

If you want to visit *a lot* of the US rather than one place, why not consider a North American Contiki tour? www.contiki.com I have been on 2 Contiki tours to Europe (actually met my husband on the second one) and highly recommend them, especially for young single travellers.

Happy planning!

swalter518 Feb 3rd, 2004 06:16 AM

NYC is extremely easy to do solo. I've done it on day basis while my hubby was tied up with something else and really enjoyed exploring the city on my own. I'd focus on lower Manhattan, SoHo, Greenich Village, etc. for someone your age.

Orpheus Feb 4th, 2004 05:24 PM

thanks for the suggsetions! I was looking for a city to spend a week in and am now trying to decide between Washington, New york or Chicago.

andrew1david Feb 4th, 2004 05:36 PM

Chicago is a good city to spend a week in, provided it's not during the winter of course.

I moved to Chicago a couple years ago and although it's the second largest city in the country, you'd never know it once your here. Its VERY easy to get around in the city. Public trans is very good (and clean by and large). The people are pretty laid back and friendly for a big city too. There's Non stop fun stuff like Wrigley and Comiskey Park, Navy Pier, shopping/people watching on N. Michigan Ave, Duck Tours, bars/restaurants on Rush St
etc.. The beach along Lake Michigan is great in the summer time and it's right next to the city so you can bounce back and forth between sun and fun!

You can get good deals on hotels too. Staying right on N. Michigan ave can be tempting. There's lots of hotels on N. Michigan so sometimes you can get good rates during slow weeks. But my advice is to look a few blocks off N. Michigan and you'll save some good money and still be close to everything.

Tandoori_Girl Feb 4th, 2004 05:53 PM

I'm not sure any of those cities can be had for "cheap".

highbay Feb 5th, 2004 07:20 AM

I'm not sure what kind of airfare that you are looking at from Vancouver to any of your desired destinations, but I usually go to Travelocity and enter my home airport along with my 5 top destinations into my airfare watcher. It gives you an option of emailing you if your "destination" airfare drops to a level that you specify. If you are flexible with you time, this is a great tool. We are wanting to go to Chicago sometime this year and have plugged that into our favorites on travelocity.
I have also done a little research on hotels through biddingfortravel.com, and the Hyatt on No. Michigan Ave. has been going for $45 a night. So, again, if you have some flexibility, you can indeed do some of those big cities on a budget.
Good luck with your planning and let us know how you faired.

DebbieAllen Feb 5th, 2004 08:32 AM

I've got three words for you:
Vegas, Vegas, Vegas.

I can't think of a better place for a single 21-year-old guy to (as you put it) "lose myself."