Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Silver Creek Falls area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/silver-creek-falls-area-686275/)

Daydreamer Mar 9th, 2007 02:05 AM

Silver Creek Falls area

Just discovered this place briefly mentioned in a book. Am intrigued.

If driving up or down I-5 at some point of our journey...how much time should we allot for this state park? If we manage to squeeze in Olympic w/Marymere Falls & Sol Duc, etc. would you say a stop for a hike at Silver Creek would be different enough?
Or if tight on time...
skip it?

Hmmm...something else I just saw says it's a 7 mile hike or so...maybe we won't have time, in that case. :-\ Not sure if it's steep & slow-going or not. I guess only lodging close-by would be in Salem?
Or is there some quaint town/Bed & Breakfast/Inn somewhere along that back road?

Thanks, Oregonians (or Washingtonians)!

bbqboy Mar 9th, 2007 05:33 AM

I'm so confused by all your posts I have no in dea where you're starting or ending.
Could you summarize?

sunbum1944 Mar 9th, 2007 07:55 AM

well I think I figured out what you were asking about- Silver Falls State Park - close to Salem. I think its one of the most beautiful places in Oregon and have hiked there many times. There are 12 waterfalls in the park and I think pretty easy hike from falls to falls.
It sounds like you dont have a lot of time to do the whole hike - but you could do part of it The trail to the South Falls takes you in behind the falls so the water is flowing out over your head.
so from the parking lot you could walk a short trail to the South Falls walk around there a bit and return to car if you dont have all day.
Then you could drive to the North Falls Parking lot and walk down to see that falls-
or you can do the whole hike which would take you several hours.
It is a beautiful spot!!

sunbum1944 Mar 9th, 2007 07:59 AM

oops! meant to post this website too

http://www.salemoregon.com/silverfallsstatepark/

ajcolorado Mar 9th, 2007 08:04 AM

I don't know about the other locations but Silver Creek falls is beautiful. I've been there twice and loved it.

Orcas Mar 9th, 2007 08:21 AM

Agree Silver Falls is beautiful. It is one of our favorite parks in Oregon.

We've done the loop from South Falls that takes you to South Falls and along the creek and by another Fall, then back through the trees. It's a really good loop - a couple of hours (with kids). We haven't done the whole trail. You can also swim, relax, picnic. You can easily spend the entire day there.

We've also gone on a quick trip there with grandparents, doing the very short loop under the south falls and picnicing. It's worth it either way.

The 30 mile drive from I-5 is not a fast drive so add about 1 hour 15 min for the round-trip drive to your calculations.

Probably Silverton is the closest town that might have lodging. Check that out on the internet for lodging, or Salem, of course.

Daydreamer Mar 9th, 2007 01:07 PM

Thanks,everyone! Sounds like it's definitely WORTH it. But, anyone ever been to Olympic Nat'l Park's falls too? (Marymere & Sol Duc area)

Any way to compare? We're pretty tight on our time. Driving from NorCal/Bay area to San Juans for a week. Filling in the other week w/either:
(to summarize per bbqboy's request)

1) 4 days along southern Oregon Coast
Gold Beach/TuTuTun & Florence area (hiking dunes)

2) Olympic Nat'l Park: 4 nights (do loop)
OR
3) a shorter combo of both! Probably too ambitious & short-changing both?
HAVE been to both before, however. (ONP tho' not for 10 yrs!) If doing combo...
maybe 3 days Oregon coast...cut-over to 5 for San Juans. Then, route selves back down into northern end of Olympic Nat'l before driving back to Calif. (only do 2 nights there in that case at Lake Crescent)

If NOT doing combo, would have time to do each element at a slower pace, of course. (whether that be Oregon coast OR ONP) And, I could easily see still having time to do Silver Creek Falls, as well.

Hence, my query! :-) If anyone has done ALL of this before...
your wisdom would be most welcome.

Right now, I have a hunch the combo trip would just be too frantic.

Daydreamer Mar 9th, 2007 01:10 PM

Ohh...and just to clarify...
this trip is middle through late May.
That too could play a role in recommendations.

I read somewhere that some flower fields (iris?) might be in bloom in May near Silverton perhaps? Perhaps that would be good timing? (and falls heavier?) At the same time, I keep worrying that May is too early for Olympic Nat'l Park. I wonder if any wildflowers or rhodies in bloom yet then in that area? (or at all)

sunbum1944 Mar 9th, 2007 01:41 PM

There will be a lot of water going over the falls in May due to spring rains
( and the trails might be kind of muddy) so need good hiking shoes.

And the iris should be in bloom about that time of year- pretty magnificent.

When you are in the Florence area I highly recommend the dune buggy rides-
very fun!

Andrew Mar 9th, 2007 02:18 PM

Perhaps you are thinking of the Tulip Fest in Woodburn, OR? (a few miles north of Salem). That's in late March-early April:

http://www.woodenshoe.com/

FYI, I have some pics of Silver Creek Falls Park in the fall, which of course isn't the time of year you will be there, but you might check 'em out anyway:

http://www.portlandbridges.com/00,DR...ls-travel.html

Daydreamer Mar 9th, 2007 06:56 PM

Thanks, you guys!
As far as the flowers, it was just some iris fields, I think that someone mentioned on that route

I've always thought La Conner area would be neat in Spring w/tulips, but we just never get up to Northwest quite so early. Have a great weekend!

dallasdeb Mar 12th, 2007 04:25 PM

"As far as the flowers, it was just some iris fields, I think that someone mentioned on that route "

The iris fields are really beautiful. You can see them from I%, and can also take a quick tour. And Silver Creek falls is worth it. There are several hikes you can do, as mentioned. You don't need to do the full 7 miles. I've been to Olympic and mostly saw fog. Silver Falls doesn't get that. Happy waterfalls!

dallasdeb Mar 12th, 2007 04:27 PM

meant to look this up-- Keizer's Iris Festival starts may 19 (this is the town just north of Salem where the Iris fields are)

Daydreamer Mar 13th, 2007 12:49 AM

Thank you for the extra feedback & info! :-)

Just discovered some falls in N. Cal, too. (from reading) Burney Falls &
another near Dunsmuir (not far from Shasta/Redding). Almost wondering if should include these in lieu of Oregon Silver Falls or ONP's...BUT,
I think at least Burney Falls will be just too far off the beaten path.

Probably will save those for some future trip to Lassen, I guess. (have never been to Lassen) Thanks again!

Clousie Mar 13th, 2007 07:48 AM

Daydreamer,

We've been to Silver Falls and the two in ONP. SF came with great recs, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to visit them even though it was nice to see the variety of falls. It could be because it was raining the day we were there, but it also was raining in ONP.

I'd say which ever ones are closest to your route would be the ones to see.

oregonmom Mar 13th, 2007 08:47 AM

Schreiner's Iris Farm is the one you are looking for.

Daydreamer Mar 13th, 2007 03:27 PM

Thanks you guys! :-)
Happy for more feedback.
Clousie...almost sounds like you enjoyed falls *more* in ONP?
(you mention it was raining both times)
Which did you see first, btw? (ONP or Silver Falls?)

Will take all of this into consideration & maybe not create 'extra' time for them...
but only do if driving-wise it works.

Have to say...
skipping NorCal & southern Oregon coast
is proving mighty hard to do. Still torn about including TuTuTun to Florence area or so, in lieu of more time in ONP. Wish there were more days! Clousie...how many nights did you have in ONP? Was your weather rainy the whole time? Which month?
Any regrets, or not to miss items?
Thanks again!

sunbum1944 Mar 14th, 2007 08:10 AM

The drive between Florence and Lincoln City is one of the prettiest on the Oregon Coast
The drive between Coos Bay and Florence is kind of boring- its inland a bit with trees obstructing any views of the ocean .
There are several nice short hikes to do in the Florence-Lincoln area.
One of the nicest is hiking in the Devils Elbow State Park- you can hike up to the lighthouse and from there take another trail down to a beach that is only accessible by walking- I also love doing the dune buggy rides- you have to go with a driver who really knows his way around and how to drive on the dunes- very fun!!
Sounds like you have a lot planned- hope you have fun.

Daydreamer Mar 14th, 2007 12:26 PM

Thanks sunbum! Appreciate the tip about Elbow Park, as there are just so many, it's tough to know which ones to include or prioritize.

Looking forward to it!

sunbum1944 Mar 14th, 2007 01:58 PM

Heres a link to Devils Elbow
http://www.stateparks.com/devils_elbow.html