Sightseeing and restaurants in LA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I will be in LA for 3 days prior to cruise in February. We are staying at the Residence in Beverly Hills. I have been to LA before, daughter not. I would like some suggestions for good tour companies for general sightseeing. I have checked Tripadvisor and many of the companies are specialized. I would like a smaller bus, but can't do the private tours. Also, what are some good, not too expensive restaurants near the Residence Inn. Thanks for suggestions.
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 04:43 PM

If your daughter is over age 18, you might want to get tickets to one of the late night talk shows. My daughter and I were in LA this summer and got tickets to a Jimmy Kimmel taping. I will say that there's a lot of waiting around, but it was also cool to see a TV show live.

BTW, the theatre where Jimmy Kimmel tapes is right across from the Kodak Theatre, so it's easy to do some sightseeing before you have to be in line for the show.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I can't help you with the tour bus scene other than to note that the Hop on Hop Off Bus (Starline Tours) has different routes all over town -- the Yellow Route practically goes past my house and makes a stop on Pico at Selby (next to the B of A) and across the street from the Westside Pavilion, the outside of which was shown in the movie "Clueless".

I can help with restaurants in the area. Your hotel (and I have to laugh -- it was previously an emergency care center!) is at the corner of Pico and Beverly Drive. If you go east on Pico from that location, you'll hit about a dozen restaurants and deli's -- mostly Kosher, since that area has a number of orthodox synagogues and residents. Factors Deli is a decent breakfast spot, and Labels Tables a little further east, makes great deli sandwiches to eat there or to take away.

Heading north on Beverly Drive, once you have gone north of Olympic, you will be in a little restaurant row, and almost every single one is good! Some expensive (like Ruth Chris Steak House); others mid-range (like our fave South Beverly Grill); others lower-mid range (like the very FIRST California Pizza Kitchen that ever opened, or Frida's).

Heading WEST on Pico, you will eventually pass 20th Century Fox, and continuing on West of Beverly Glen to Sepulveda, between those two cross streets, you have my neck of the woods Rancho Park area with a spectacular array of restaurants from cheap to expensive. John O'Groats, just west of Beverly Glen on the south side is a terrific and terribly popular breakfast and lunch spot, as is the simply named "Food" on the north side, just west of Prosser. There's a number of sushi restaurants, italian restaurants, a korean BBQ, a cool little place called "The Six", the Westside Tavern next to the Landmark Theatres, Jaipur for great Indian food that won't break the bank; Bourbon Street Shrimp, which is changing it's name to "Gulp" and currently undergoing a remodel so there's no name on the outside; Bossa Nova which is a huge mix of different styles of food; Hop Li (Chinese); and Islands that caters to family-styled food (burgers etc). There's also the best hamburger stand/diner in WLA -- Apple Pan at the corner of Pico & Glendon, across from the Westside Pavilion. An institution since 1948, always fun to go sit at the counter for a hickory burger, fries, and a coke in one of those paper cone cups.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hop On Hop Off is the way to go, and on weekends there is a short, narrated, hourly trolley tour pointing out lots of things around Beverly Hills.
www.beverlyhills.org/attractions/trolley.asp‎
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 02:07 PM

Great review Surergirl. Friends of ours live in the West Hollywood Hills and will probably enjoy reading your list when I cut and paste it and sent it to them.
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 08:53 AM

I second Surfergirl's recommendation of Apple Pan. You don't state your budget apart from "reasonable," but you may want to consider Picca (Peruvian) and Sotto (Italian), which I believe are within walking distance of your hotel.
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your suggestions. I looked up Picca and Sotto and they are at same address, so one is probably not there anymore.
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 11:24 AM

Actually, they're both there. One is upstairs and the other is downstairs. I like Picca better, but I don't know how adventurous you are. The waiters are great at suggesting dishes. You can see the menus here:
http://www.piccaperu.com/
http://www.sottorestaurant.com/
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 06:06 PM

I haven't been to Picca, but have been a bit reluctant to go since Peruvian food -- at least what I've had before -- isn't as spicy as I like.

Sotto got great reviews when it first opened and remains trendy and reservations are essential. It's also known to be noisy and tables close together. The décor is outstanding. Having said that, I'd say it's ok -- was a little indifferent to the food and the prices are steep for the tiny plates.

It's, to me, just another place that follows the L.A. "flavor of the month" club in terms of what's offered on the menu. So if you like the current trendy stars of mushroom dishes and kale playing a starring role in the side dish category, you might like it. The novelty of both have worn off me a few years ago. Leaving me with the pizza, which was good, but not great.
Old Dec 25th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks surfergirl. Those two don't sound like anything we might like. I think we might try either a deli like Factors or the South Beverly Grill. Do you know Piccolo Paradiso or Il Pastaio? About 5 years ago we went to Sparks Woodfire Grill on Pico and it was great, but it is gone. We also need a suggestion for around the Pantages theater, we are seeing Book of Mormon.

Thanks for all your information, it is very helpful.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 10:35 PM

I haven't been to Piccolo Paradiso, but heard it was good, although pricy and small portions. Love, love love Il Pastaio, decent pricing, great food, but because it's such a small place, you need to reserve in advance. Otherwise, you get stuck standing in the little walkspace, and the bar is always packed.

The area around the Pantages has pretty slim pickings, and you generally want to pick something in walking distance, since the parking lot (other than the little one behind the theatre that fits about 10 cars!) is catty-corner to the Pantages. If you're like me, you don't want to eat a full meal before heading to the theatre, since you are doomed to fall asleep! So we generally go for appetizers and drinks -- either at the W across the street from the Pantages (not at Delphine, but at the bar in the hotel lobby), or the little bar/restaurant (Blue Palm I think is the name) right next to the Fonda Theatre on Hollywood Blvd, a block east of the Pantages.

If you decide you want a full meal, Delphine at the W is pretty good, BUT expensive AND hard to get a table unless you reserve. Also, the wait staff is notoriously slow. Katsuma, a Japanese sushi/tempura place at Vine and Hollywood (south/west side of the street) is a super interesting looking place on the inside -- high style and trendy, with prices to match. There's also a pub practically next door to the Pantages (to the west, towards Vine), but that place is always backed with pre-concert goers (as is the Delphine), so we've never actually gotten in.

If you actually don't mind walking a bit more or want to drive a little ways, let me know; otherwise, you're kind of stuck with the above.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Surfergirl. Your suggestions are great. I will let you know when we get back. Will be there first week in Feb. Will be eating in Malibu also after we go the Getty Villa. We are going to be exhausted before we get on the cruise ship, so hopefully our first two days at sea we can rest and walk off all the food you have suggested. Thanks again.