Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Siesta Key reservation in July and red tide? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/siesta-key-reservation-in-july-and-red-tide-539560/)

didijo Jun 26th, 2005 08:14 AM

Siesta Key reservation in July and red tide?

Hi, Our family just made reservations to stay in a condo in Siesta Key for the end of July. We have never been there before but heard it is beautiful. Now, I've learned about the red tide problem there (not one reservation person mentioned it or warned about it.)I need advice as to what to do now? We already put down a large deposit. Do we wait and hope that it might be gone in the next 4 weeks? How likely is that? And what is the responsibility of rental agents to inform tourists that there is a problem? Thanks.

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 26th, 2005 09:17 AM

It's not something that can be controlled by the resort owners/managers. Red tide has been around for a very long time. It's something that mother nature throws at us and we just have to deal with it. Would you expect the resort to also tell you that there is a very good chance of heavy daily showers in the afternoon? or that end of July is more likely to have a hurricane warning or two?

If there is construction, remodeling then I agree with you, they should be under obligation to warn you about it, but red tide comes and goes. It's part of our summers here. Some years are worse, some are better. It could be around just for couple of days or for weeks.

There are times when we have constant rain or get a cold front come through. Usually Nov-Feb. It rains for an entire week. Imagine picking that week to visit? or it's in the 30s and 40s at night with only 50s and low 60s during the day. (I love it :-) ) Imagine picking that week?

I really don't think the resorts/hotels are under any obligation to refund your deposit because of what mother nature throws at us. The exception is if there is a mandatory evecuation and/or the island actually gets hit with a hurricane and there is much destruction. On the other hand they may do it for you just for good PR. They may be willing to reschedule you for a different time. Doesn't hurt to ask.

And finally. I live here. Walk the streets, beaches and maybe I'm just used to it, but my life does not change. On some really bad days I may experience some cough, but it's not every day and most of the time I don't even think about it or know it's even here till I start to see some dead fish on the beaches. The best part is that it could disappear just as quickly as it appears and since the county cleans the beaches daily, maybe twice daily on bad days, once it's gone, it's very quickly forgotten.

You may have a better chance of asking for a refund/rescheduling closer to your dates. Predicting if red tide will be here in the end of July is impossible. If it is here and it's bad few days before your arrival then you may have a better chance to get a refund.

As of today, it's at very low irritant level. Thousands of people are on the beaches on this beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Lwc Jun 27th, 2005 05:20 AM

Hi didijo. We were planning to go to Indian Shores beach. We were supposed to arrive on July 2 and had had reservations for months. I found out about the red tide and called the condo manager and ask about it a couple of weeks ago and she didn't want to tell me about it either. She said that she didn't pay any attention about it on the news that morning and wasn't sure about it. Anyway we have decided to give up our deposit and have scheduled a vacation in North Myrtle Beach instead. Good luck to you I hope it is gone but I would watch it because I don't think it would be much fun swimming with dead fish.

SiestaLinda Jun 27th, 2005 05:52 AM

I think that what AA is trying to say is that we here in Florida are not trying to be difficult when it comes to Red Tide--it is that we truly do not know.

I am renting a condo for the month of July in Northern Michigan. I like to go there cuz it is usually cooler and they put on a great fireworks display.

Well right now the weather in Michigan is hot hot hot---like 5 degrees above ours, high humidity, and it is forecasted to be that way for at least the next 10 days.

Well what can I do but just go. Now I know red tide can ruin a beach vacation but it could be here today gone tomorrow.

So we are not trying to be difficult--it is that we truly do not know.

dynamite67 Jun 27th, 2005 05:53 AM

Reservation people WONT tell you about the red tide--- if they are getting 1,000 out of you they dont wanna mess it up. My husband talked to 3 different placed 2 of them LIED about the red tide and the other told us she couldnt go outside with out a mask.... we arent risking our much needed BEACH vacation

joan Jun 27th, 2005 06:15 AM

Dynamite, that was an incredibly inflammatory post. If you look at this map of red tide counts, you will see that in between areas of high red tide, there are areas with zero. So perhaps (maybe just maybe) you were not being lied to. Red tide appears in pockets. Some areas have clear spots, after all it is tidal, affected by the wind and rain as well as the flow of the water.

Here is a great website with counts, updated every Friday:
http://www.floridamarine.org/feature...e.asp?id=12373

Didijo, this red tide bloom has been around for awhile, drifting out to sea and returning to the Sarasota area. Lately it has moved and expanded northward (because of the winds of Tropical Storm Arlene). It appears to be lessening, but nobody can say what will happen....we're all hoping for the best though! My heart goes out to all those who are affected - businesses as well as the tourists they serve.

SiestaLinda Jun 27th, 2005 06:44 AM

Thanks Joan, I guess I was being a bit defensive. You answered perfectly. I remember last Sept running into some tourists during one of the hurricanes. They were actually angry at me--I was trying to help them find a place to stay out of the "bands" and they said we will never come back here. They were from Denver, where they had all the bad snow storms this past spring, we were booked to go there, and of course could not. But do I get angry at the people living in Denver, I think not.

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 27th, 2005 08:39 AM

<b>SiestaLinda</b>,

just curious, but you are not the Linda from TB? :-)

Daily report from Siesta - don't come today. Very cloudy and it's raining now. Beach factor almost zero.
Red tide - still here - low irritant level.

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 27th, 2005 08:40 AM

allow me to correct myself,

you are not the Linda from TB, are you? :-)

didijo Jun 27th, 2005 06:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't mention it before but I suffer at times from allergy related asthma. Even without the asthmatic problem, a beach with dead fish, a bad smell, and causing irritation to the upper respiratory tract is obviously a far more serious problem than constant rain, even though that indeed would ruin a vacation also. Actually, I'm surprised that the beaches that are seriously affected aren't closed on those days that they are health hazards. They would be up here in the northeast.
We have already paid for our plane tickets, and the condominium rental office charged our credit card already for $800.00, so right now we will hope for the best. We also have family in the Orlando area that we will be visiting at the same time. I will definitely keep track of the red tide in the coming weeks. Best to all of you.

joan Jun 28th, 2005 04:40 AM

TREASURE ISLAND. I am almost afraid to post this, but last evening I took a walk, and things seem to be getting a bit better...no tickle in my throat, but the water is still murky. Hoping Hoping!!!!

boston05 Jul 25th, 2005 08:24 AM

Hi - we have stayed at the Island House on Siesta Key for several years in a row and have reservations again this year for August 15-31. Just wondering if anybody can provide me some recent updates on the red tide situation? Thanks so much -

rubytwo Jul 25th, 2005 11:31 AM

It is bad in spots and ok in other spots. They have cleaned the beaches, but it is hard to tell what might be going on by the middle of August. It really depends on the weather patterns as to whether it is blowing in or not.