Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Siesta Key and Tampa (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/siesta-key-and-tampa-422467/)

sandiegojoe Apr 14th, 2004 08:55 PM

Siesta Key and Tampa

Hi, I'm lookin at coming out for a vacation next fall and Siesta Key sounded nice. Basically I'm looking for somewhere within a short drive from tampa so I can also make it to the Bucs 49ers game :D

Any suggestions on reasonably priced/nice places to stay or condo rentals. I don't need something overly fancy, but not a dump either.

If there's better places than siesta key nearby let me know.

thanks!

KathyK Apr 15th, 2004 11:04 AM

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but if it's just a beach and proximity to Tampa, then there are closer beaches than Siesta Key which is about 80-90 minutes from Tampa. However, Siesta Key is a beautiful area, with the nicest beach I've seen in Florida. If you're staying for more than a few days I would recommend taking the time to go to Siesta Key. There are lots of condos there, some nicer than others. Closer beaches would be CLearwater and St. Petersburg. If you want a condo on Siesta Key, most will not rent for less than a week in the Spring, but it might be different in the Fall which is not their high season. Hope this helps.

Tandoori_Girl Apr 15th, 2004 11:58 AM

Siesta Key is nice but it is not very convenient. I suggest that you try some of the Tampa-area beaches such as Passe-A-Grille, Treasure Island, St. Pete Beach, or Clearwater. They are all 30 minutes from the game and are great locations, wonderful beaches.

In Clearwater, look into a room at the Clearwater Beach Hotel. In Treasure Island, try the Thunderbird or the Best Western Sea Castle. In St. Pete Beach, check out the Bonaire Resort. I don't have a recommendation for Passe-A-Grille but there are many places to stay. None of these are "overly fancy" but far from dumps.

SoBeTraveller Apr 15th, 2004 12:16 PM

In Passe-A-Grill, suggest Island's End, just a block off the beach, and next to the waterway. Easy to find. Unit D is very nice, with a small kitchen. Very well managed and maintained. Telephone 727-360-5023. We enjoyed it very much!!! Only five minutes from the Pinellas Bayway, which connects with I275, and will get you to Tampa quickly.

Tandoori_Girl Apr 15th, 2004 07:21 PM

Sobe, thanks. I was trying to remember the name of that place. I hear it's wonderful and hope to try it sometime. Passe-a-grille is the greatest.

AAFrequentFlyer Apr 15th, 2004 07:48 PM

Iy's an hour dribe from my house on Siesta Key to Tampa International, not the 80-90 minutes posted above.

To get an idea of different places on this little paradise island look at this site. If you find some places interesting and want to know more about them, post a question.

http://www.siestakeychamber.com/

BTW, which game are you coming to see?

sandiegojoe Apr 29th, 2004 10:38 PM

comin out to see the 49ers play. How are the fans in Tampa? Hospitable?

OliveOyl Apr 30th, 2004 03:17 AM

This is one of those "it's all relative" things. Compared to Eagles fans we're a Sunday School class. Truly I don't think we're much different from other fans: generally friendly, sometimes sloshing around a bit, but at least good naturedly.

Tandoori_Girl Apr 30th, 2004 05:15 AM

Tampa is a party town. Be prepared to have a good time.

AAFrequentFlyer Apr 30th, 2004 05:42 AM

They're ok, but they're not football fans. They have no idea what a football fan should be. I can't really blame them for the lack of football knowledge. They have been around for about 30 years, but in reality, the Bucs have been a real football team for only about 5. Besides, after the disasterous start that they will experience this season, you will have a choice of seats. They will abandon this team after the first couple of games. :-)

They do have a nice stadium :-D

Have a great time!

<b><font color="blue">C-H-I-C-A-G-O----- B-E-A-R-S</font></b>

Tandoori_Girl Apr 30th, 2004 06:58 AM

I actually worked in the Bucs old stadium for the first four years in the 1970s so I beg to differ with some who think we're neophytes. What we're not so good at is winning. That means we don't mind losing as it comes naturally. And we are very gracious about it.

We've lost our general manager and some of our best players this year so I'm not anticipating a great year for the Bucs.

But, HEY!!! Did anyone see that Lightning hockey game last night?!?! Go BOLTS!!!! Time for a party!!!

OliveOyl Apr 30th, 2004 08:44 AM

TG...My husband used the real real bad word last night while upstairs on the 'puter. I thought he'd broken it, lost all his information in whatever he was doing. I hated to even ask what the matter was, but when he wasn't forthcoming voluntarily, curiosity got the best of me. &quot;What's wrong?&quot; I ask. He responds that the Bolts won,(following it on the computer?) making it a clean sweep in that series. And that's bad how?? LOL &quot;We just lost 62 room nights because Montreal stays with us AND they like to eat in Armanis!&quot; They were delightful guests last weekend....But Go Bolts, yes!

sandiegojoe...one tip, the stadium, has an east west orientation and if you are in the sun it can get really really hot--even November. Our seats face west, and pre-season especially, it can be unbelievable, but anytime and anywhere, you'll need your sunscreen!

Jayne11159 Apr 30th, 2004 09:11 AM

FF - an hour to drive from Siesta to Tampa would require perfect road conditions. Currently there is a lot of construction on the feeder routes to the interstate. I live in Bradenton and it takes me sometimes an hour to get there--or more if you get the bridges.

AAFrequentFlyer Apr 30th, 2004 09:55 AM

Jayne,

Just came back from TPA on Wednesday. Plane landed at 10:30am, in the car by 10:40am(love that airport), home by 11:45am.
For Siesta Key use the Clark Rd exit, not Bee Ridge Rd. Bee Ridge is the first exit from Tampa, but it has many lights and heavy traffic. Clark Rd. is another 1.5 miles down, but you make up the time and then some, because of few lights and hardly any traffic.

Few weeks ago, I would say that the trip took longer. During tourist season Siesta Key becomes a traffic nightmare, but now, once I'm over the bridge, north or south, I'm 5 minutes away from home. :-)

Jayne11159 Apr 30th, 2004 10:48 AM

Thanks for the info--the in-laws live off Clark and I thought there was still construction going on--darn, no more excuses for not visiting the in-laws.

From Bradenton you have to add time to get out of town. I just hate 41 so we use the interstate to get to S. Sarasota. New 301 is better but you still have to buck that 41 traffic after downtown. I think traffic gets worse and worse around here--even without the tourists.

DianeC Apr 30th, 2004 02:16 PM

We're off to siesta key next Saturday. It is our favourite place in Florida. have you tried vrbo.com for a reasonable condo. 100's on siesta Key.