Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Siegfried and Roy (too expensive?) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/siegfried-and-roy-too-expensive-212117/)

Craig May 2nd, 2002 04:21 PM

Siegfried and Roy (too expensive?)

We have been to Vegas a couple of times and last time took in the Mystere show. My wife thinks she wants to see Siegfried and Roy. I am unsure if it is worth the money but she says it is the "true" Las Vegas show! Any comments...or suggestions???<BR>Thanks! Craig

Terri May 2nd, 2002 04:29 PM

If you liked Mystere, then I'd see "O" before seeing the overrated S&R show.

Simone May 2nd, 2002 04:32 PM

I saw Sig&Roy 2 years ago and was pretty disappointing. I suggest "O", Blue Man or Second City.

Harry May 2nd, 2002 04:45 PM

Siegfried and Roy were classic LV entertainers 10 years ago.<BR>Their show is now old, tired and not anywhere near as impressive as some of the competition.<BR>Most S&R attendees go because of the show's past reputation IMO.<BR>It's no longer justified, however.<BR>You can do much better elsewhere.

philip May 2nd, 2002 05:12 PM

I can see you wife's point. We went knowing that it was going to be the kind of cheesy, over-the-top production that you can only find in Vegas. For my wife and I, that was part of the appeal. No where else but Vegas would we have found a show like S&R. We didn't go expecting high-art, we went expecting "Vegas." On that mark, it delivers.<BR><BR>For pure entertainment, both "O" and Mystere are probably better. But, S&R was entertaining.<BR><BR>Hope this makes sense.

bigcat May 3rd, 2002 12:54 AM

I guess if money is no object, and you have no time constraints, then S&R is worth seeing. Otherwise, there are many better shows out there. S&R is the same old production they've been doing at the Mirage for over 10 years, they've changed none of the acts. The tricks they do is old and tired. Showroom is among the most uncomfortable I've ever been in.

Liddy May 3rd, 2002 07:35 AM

Saw S & R and it was so bad that it was laughable. First of all, the white tigers are on stage all of 5 minutes. Second, they repeated the same two tricks with different objects for 2 hours, and third, they changed their clothes more times than Cher. It was more of a flaming fashion show than a performance. Ridiculous. I felt robbed. See O and Danny Gans. Or for a 'real' Vegas show, how about Follies at Treasure Island. Topless review I think.

Mickey May 3rd, 2002 12:42 PM

I just returned from vegas last week and S&R was our 3rd choice but still a choice because of its history. The white tigers and lions are beautiful. IMO just to see a show in Vegas is worth something, the effects are great and I feel good about knowing Ive been their done that. If you go to Vegas often and you dont enjoy S&R then next time see something else.

xxx May 3rd, 2002 06:05 PM

There is a quote of the day on the European forum that goes something like this.<BR><BR>Las Vegas exists solely to keep Siegfried and Roy, Carrot Top and Wayne Newton away from the rest of us.

lze May 3rd, 2002 11:10 PM

Hello Craig, We have been to see S & R and thought it was great. We came away saying we understand why it costs so much for the tickets. They have so many people in the show as well as animals and to maintain them and to pay everyone and still make a profit I can understand the price of the ticket. As I said it has been a long time and it is all a matter of personal taste. I have since seen "O" and it is very Outstanding. Also, many people in the show. The staging is fantastic, you would not believe it. One minute it is an inch deep in water and they are "splashing" through it, and the next minute they are jumping from a high dive into the water. It would probably be my first choice. I have also heard Danny Ganz is very good. Have not seen him myself. He was recently profiled on Dateline or one of those shows on TV and it seemed like it would be quite entertaining. As I said previously it is a matter of personal taste. Try it once if you like, and next time try a different one. Good luck in your choice and have fun whatever you choose.

xxx May 4th, 2002 03:36 AM

"Still make a profit"? You're kidding, right? The price you pay for the show goes to pay for S&R's upscale lifestyle; fancy cars and huge mansion in LV. The other cast members don't get paid squat! Please remember that.

Kyle May 4th, 2002 06:17 AM

That's not necessarily true XXX.<BR>I know of a key gymnast in Cirque du Soleil who is paid over $60,000/yr.<BR>Which isn't a mammoth income, but ain't bad for a gymnast.

thereuare May 4th, 2002 06:29 AM

If you've seen a magic show before, you don't need to see S+R.<BR><BR>They take old magic tricks and add some animals, i thought the show was terrible.<BR><BR>I loved Mystere (which you've seen), i thought O was very good, and Blue Man Group (seen in NYC) was excellent.<BR><BR>How about Danny Gans if looking for a "Vegas" show?

lze May 4th, 2002 09:40 PM

Get real xxx..........Yes, I am sure they make a bunch of money, to support their life style. And its the name of the game especially in a spot like LV. Come on now, you didn't really think I didn't realize this. But, there are a lot of other expenses involved.........think about it. And I am sure you don't know how much the others in the show actually make! As for the show, it is all a matter of personal preference. One can only tell what they have seen and it of course is up to Craig to weigh the info and make his choice. I still thought the show was good and worth the ticket price. It may be old and other things have come along and they are great also. One day they will be "old" and then something else will have come along. Craig, whatever you choose, do enjoy! You can always choose something else next time. If I had my choice now I would choose "O". But, it is because I know what both shows are like. It does not mean one is not a good show!