Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sidewalk Cafes/Neighborhoods (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sidewalk-cafes-neighborhoods-796095/)

lreeves Jul 17th, 2009 11:49 AM

Sidewalk Cafes/Neighborhoods

What are some nice sidewalk cafes in New York for lunch/dinner?
What neighborhoods would you recommend going to that would be outside the typical tourist attractions?
Thanks.

Aduchamp1 Jul 17th, 2009 12:00 PM

There are many on 2nd ave between 12th Street and Houston plus many have gardens in the rear,

SueNYC Jul 17th, 2009 12:00 PM

For what it's worth - After doing the Highline last Sat evening some out of town friends and I had wonderful burgers on the outside of the Homestead Steak House in the Meatpacking District. I had never been before and outside was delightful.

travelbuff Jul 17th, 2009 02:18 PM

I'd sugges the upper west side just walk up the Avenue starting around Lincoln Center, (walk up Columbus Ave) until you find one that looks best to you. We have cafes all over the city, and over 10,000 restaurants in Manhattan.

nytraveler Jul 17th, 2009 04:34 PM

All of the residential areas - upper east and west sides (more in the latter), the village, east village, etc all have a lot of sidewalk cafes - often several per block. You will not find them in midtown (there's just too much foot traffic and the city won't license them) or the downtown financial district.

SueNYC Jul 17th, 2009 05:43 PM

Downtown - I think Stone Street has outdoor cafes

Aduchamp1 Jul 17th, 2009 05:52 PM

There are about five retaurants on Stone Street. They have a different buzz after work as opposed to lunch time.

sobster Jul 17th, 2009 06:25 PM

2nd Ave. in the 80's
also Beyoglu
in fact 2nd ave betw 80 and 84 is loaded

lcuy Jul 17th, 2009 06:33 PM

In the upper west side, Amsterdam and Columbus in teh 80's have tons of great places to dine on the sidewalk in a residential area. there sre so many on a nice evening that it's hard to choose just one!

I like Bistro Citron www.bistrocitronnyc.com

Nice Matin www.nicematinnyc.com for starters.

Further up is Max Soha on 123rd and Amsterdam. Tiny, with nice Italian. Its just a few blocks up from Columbia Univ: www.maxsoha.com/max-site-home.html

ziggydoo Jul 17th, 2009 11:37 PM

Lower East Side - St. Marks is a street that would correspond to 8th Street - off 2nd Avenue. Many, many sidewalk cafes + some shopping. And there are more on the numbered streets in that area.

GoTravel Jul 18th, 2009 06:12 AM

I love Stone Street! Very pretty!

Any of the residential neighborhoods. Get out of Midtown.

Jeffsayyes Jul 23rd, 2009 07:53 AM

I would check out Astoria in Queens along 30th or 31st or maybe 34th ave. also bway and steinway.
The quality of restaurants in Astoria is unmatched. Lots of pretty places, lots of "ethnic" places. I always find diamonds in Astoria.