Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Side trip from Middlebury VT to Fort Ticonderoga

Old Jun 12th, 2021, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Middlebury, VT in October and wondered if it is worth taking the 7 min ferry to NY and Fort Ticonderoga?? Has anyone done that?
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 03:13 PM

We did go to Fort Ticonderoga a few years ago and it was small but interesting. We came from the south so did not cross on the ferry. The ferry ride might be 7 minutes, but the trip from Middlebury will be about an hour. We did take a ferry farther north to Burlington where the ride was longer and the scenery was beautiful on that fall day with the colored leaves reflected on the water. As I recall we spent a couple of hours at the fort.
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 03:45 PM
J62

Fort Ticonderoga is a small site as oldemalloy noted. If you are interested in military history then it's interesting to learn about importance of the area in the British / French "7 years war", aka "French and Indian war" in North America. The area around there is rich in graphite deposits, and you may be familiar with pencils by the name of Dixon-Ticonderoga....

If you're taking your car on the ferry, consider a short drive down the west side of Lake George. The tiny hamlet of Hague is no more than a 15min drive from the ferry. The north end of Lake George is my favorite - undeveloped shorelines, clear water, and far fewer large boats compared to the south end. At sunrise the lake is mirror flat - perfect for a long swim in the summer. There's a small town park in Hague with a beach - October won't be swimming weather, but it's a nice little park for a picnic. Even closer is Roger's Rock beach, another lovely little park/beach with views down the length of Lk George.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 07:05 AM

I visited ticonderoga several times when our sons were growing up. As noted it is small and focuses on military history. I personally find the state historic site at chimney point and rokeby .museum more interesting

the ferry rides farther north are much more scenic than the Ticonderoga ferry, with spectacular views of the mountains on both sides of the lake
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ferry is how we always go to Bristol and Middlebury from NY. Do visit Bristol. Look for apple orchards in Oct and apple cider donuts.