Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Shrimp Station in Kauai? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/shrimp-station-in-kauai-517033/)

moondoggie Mar 30th, 2005 08:47 AM

Shrimp Station in Kauai?

Has anyone eaten here for L or D? Recommendations? Thanks.

moondoggie Apr 2nd, 2005 03:50 PM

ttt--I really want to know about this place!

Budman Apr 2nd, 2005 04:04 PM

Me too. Can't get enough shrimp!!! ((b))

Budman Apr 2nd, 2005 04:07 PM

Here's a review from The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook:

"Shrimp Station 338-1242
A good place for a plate of shrimp with rice or fries. Some items, like the scampi, you’ll have to peel. Others like the tasty coconut shrimp are peeled. Most items are $11, though some, like the shrimp burger, are less. On the ocean side of Hwy 50 in Waimea just before Waimea Canyon Road."

We're staying near there and sounds like a good stopping place. ((b))

iceeu2 Apr 2nd, 2005 04:24 PM

Budman, can you look in your guidebook and give me the physical address for Scotty's Beachside BBQ? My edition is not the most current one so Scotty's is not in there.
moondoggie, I read somewhere that there are shrimp farms on Kauai. Now, that would be fun to go buy you own and do whatever to it even if it is bad bad bad for your cholesterol.

Budman Apr 2nd, 2005 05:20 PM

Scotty's Beachside BBQ is located at 4-1546 Kuhio Hwy (56) in Kappa, north end of town north of Hwy 581 -- Wherever that is. ((a))

The write up sounds good. "It's next to the ocean and built in a series of tiers so every table has an unobstructed ocean view."

I just love good BBQ!!! ((b))

iceeu2 Apr 2nd, 2005 06:09 PM

hey, guys, type in Kauai Shrimp Station in the yahoo search box...there are some great photos of food on Kauai and this one comes up to a beautiful plate of shrimp at Kauai Shrimp Station.

Also, Budman, you know we could do the GTG at Scotty's...it's only 1/2 mile from where we are staying.

Budman Apr 3rd, 2005 05:26 AM

Yeah, we could, but they didn't have much of a wine list, and they will probably charge a fortune for corkage.

Let's stick with the picnic idea at the Islander. I'm still committed to bringing "whine" and cheese. Others can bring beer/whatever. Maybe on my way there, I'll stop by to get some BBQ shrimp carry out samples from Shrimp Station. ((b))

iceeu2 Apr 3rd, 2005 05:45 AM

No problem Budman. We will check it out and let you know if you even want to go there during your stay. Cause since I'm from the Memphis area and the real icee is from NC, we may be overly critical of bbq!

Hey man, you don't have to bring it all. Thought maybe we would see what the going foods are in the area and perhaps pile on some kind of appetizers from Coconuts..

iceeu2 Apr 3rd, 2005 05:53 AM

Better yet, perhaps we will schlepp it down to Scotty's and bring something from there to add to the table.

Also, I think a corkage fee really is on a place by place basis..If they want to charge they do ...and if not, they don't. We took beer and wine to LaPlayita Azul before they had alchihawl and there was no corkage. I also read where someone was miffed because the Beach House did charge them a corkage.

Did you or moondoggie look at that website with the plate of shrimp from the Shrimp Station?

Budman Apr 3rd, 2005 06:36 AM

I spent a couple of years in Memphis and loved their Memphis in May, especially the BBQ. Hard to beat. I got it down to a science and smoke my own. Yummie!!!

Then, I'll just "Whine" & cheese. You'll bring the BBQ? Don't forget the napkins.

Here's a trip report I googled. Scroll down to the bottom and you can see a picture of the Shrimp Station. Kool!!! Now I'm hungry. ((b))

http://www.mattygetshigh.com/Kauai%202004/default.htm

iceeu2 Apr 3rd, 2005 07:41 AM

You and the real icee will have to compare your smoking techniques and sauces. He is smoking some shoulders in 2 weeks for the son-in-laws birthday party.

iceeu2 Apr 3rd, 2005 08:08 AM

Budman, what an awesome site. I love reading interesting trip reports. Now, here is the one I found last night with all of the food pics in it. Take a gander....http://www.foodelicious.com/gallery/kauaifood

Budman Apr 3rd, 2005 08:20 AM

Wow, I'm finding that 7 days on Kauai isn't going to be nearly enough. Next year -- 2 weeks.

Oh, just love pulled shoulder. ((b))

Budman Apr 3rd, 2005 08:33 AM

One other thing, I was disappointed to read that the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook characterizes the Waimea Brewing Co. as "It's a brewpub with bad beer." What a pity.

Any brewpubs on the East Shore? ((b))

auntiemaria Apr 3rd, 2005 08:53 AM

Re Scotty's BBQ:
Love it -- we could qualify for a "frequent diners card" if they had one here! Corkage fee? Yes, but they've got good beer (you can order a schooner, if so inclined). Open Monday thru Saturday 11am -- dinner service begins at 4pm. Great 2nd floor oceanfront location (north end of Kapa`a, before the big Otsuka's Furniture Store, across the street from the large Kojima Market). Without advertising, the word-of-mouth about Scotty's keeps it full and busy -- packed for lunch by 12noon; wait-list for dinner by 6pm. It's gooooooooood!

East side brewery? I think the brewpub out on the point near the Marriott Hotel in Lihu`e is still open -- but call ahead to confirm, as they seem to be running rather irregular hours.

Kaua`i GTG -- poolside at Islander on the Beach (yay!).

moondoggie Apr 3rd, 2005 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info; glad I could get Budman & iceeu2 together via this post!

Budman Apr 3rd, 2005 04:47 PM

I hope we didn't steal your thread, but from what I've seen, it would be a great place for lunch or a snack. We were in New Orleans last year, and this is what the BBQ shrimp looked like -- in the sauce and in the shell for the picking, except these come with rice or fries to such up those wonderful flavors. Yummie!!! ((b))

iceeu2 Apr 3rd, 2005 05:17 PM

sorry moondoggie, but hopefully you did get to check out the websites we found....looks pretty darned good to me.

Budman Apr 3rd, 2005 05:37 PM

Topping for those who can help out moondoggie with first-hand, mouth-tasting recommedations on the Shrimp Station in Kauai. I'm sold just looking at the pictures. ((b))