Should we visit the Grand Canyon March 1??

Feb 3rd, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Should we visit the Grand Canyon March 1??

Thinking of a quick trip to Las Vegas and thought we'd add on a few days at the Grand Canyon. Would be at the Canyon March 1&2. How is the weather then? Worth the trip or save until weather is warmer?
Feb 3rd, 2008, 06:09 AM

It may snow - but the Grand Canyon may be at its lovelist when it has snowed. It looks like the layers were sprinkled with powdered sugar. I took over 300 pictures of the GC in snow. Of course, they all looked alike -LOL!

If you are just going to "look" and spend time there, March is a fine time of the year to go. The top parts of the trails would be icy I guess, if you planned to hike into the canyon.
Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:21 AM

We went in December and it was beautiful with the snow. The top parts of the trails were icy but you can either buy or rent crampons that make it easier. It is definitley worth a trip!
Feb 3rd, 2008, 09:38 AM

I also wondered about a trip to the Grand Canyon the end of March. I would want to hike down, though. The thought of needing crampons due to ice sounds very scary.
Feb 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM

March is my favorite month to visit the canyon, and no, I'm not kidding! I have been there numerous times in March. If you stay on the rim and there is snow, it's a special treat to see the canyon with that dusting of snow and then to stay long enough to see the clouds lift so that the canyon reveals itself through the snow.

It does not always snow in March at the canyon. One year we hiked to the river in March and the air was misty and moist with clouds inside the canyon, and walking through this was absolutely so dream-like that words fail me.

If it snows and you want to walk below the rim, you will be walking into the warmer climate as you go down so the rule is that you wear crampons or Yax-trax that attach around your boots. You will walk away from the snow, ice and slush. One March, we were hiking to Phantom Ranch and it snowed a great deal the night before the hike. I was a wreck when I saw this snow in the early morning. I just about flipped out. However, after consulting with the Bright Angel Transportation Desk, the problem was solved very nicely. We had a very leisurely breakfast, took a mid morning shuttle to the South Kaibab Trail and waited until the first mule train arrived from the bottom. The sun was striking the upper trail by then and the mules had broken through the slush. We stayed close to the wall where there was no slush and in no time, the trail was devoid of snow. Looking up at the rim where there was lots of snow was a scenic experience in reverse. We took our time, thoroughly enjoyed the hike and arrived at Phantom Ranch just in time for dinner. It turned out to be a fabulous day.

Short answer: anyone thinking of going to the canyon in March should definitely do it. I'm going in April this year, and I'm already worried about the heat.

Jane