Should we use VRBO or management company?

Oct 15th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Should we use VRBO or management company?

Sister and I are going to Oregon coast in spring. Thought it might be fun to rent instead of hotel. VRBO or management company--any experience with either? I wonder about being able to contact someone easily if there is a problem. I would appreciate any info, thoughts, etc. Thanks so much.
Oct 15th, 2012, 04:36 PM

We have used VRBO in Mexico, St. Remy France, California & always had great luck. Each rental is individually owned & managed so no one can say there can't be a problem but we have always been more than satisfied.Good luck on your search.
Oct 15th, 2012, 05:17 PM

I like VRBO and homeaway. Just ask about a contact person.
Oct 15th, 2012, 07:34 PM

Not all units on vrbo and homeaway are listed by the owner. Sometimes our only contact has been with a management company. I'm not saying that's bad, just that you have to read all the info on each listing to determine if it's the owner or not.
Oct 15th, 2012, 08:06 PM

We rent our house through VRBO & use a local property manager as we live 3+ hours away. We have had very few problems & have been a VRBO rental for more than 6 years. We also used VRBO recently to rent an apartment in D.C. and it was a very positive experience. There is something about having a place to call home that is not a hotel.
Oct 16th, 2012, 06:56 AM

A similar question about VRBO came up on the Travel Forum on WashingtonPost.com yesterday. Here's some excellent advice from the Travel Editor, Carol Sottili about what to look for in a VRBO rental. It's the kind of advice I heeded (especially the part about talking to the owner) when I rented a couple of vacation homes in Montana through VRBO. We had a great experience, BTW.

WEEKEND HOUSE RENTAL PITFALLS?
My siblings and I are spread out from DC to Cincinnati and we are looking for a rental house for Thanksgiving (and possibly future get togethers). I've found some possibilities on various websites (vrbo.com comes up a lot -- can chatters recommend other good sites?), but I've never rented like this and I am somewhat nervous about committing a substantial amount of money. What are the typical pitfalls of these arrangements and what can I ask or do to avoid them?

A.
CAROL SOTTILI :
Chris Elliott has discussed scams that can occur when booking via this sites in his Navigator column. I have had good luck, but due diligence is key. Common sense also comes in handy. Talk with the owner, don't wire money or send cashier checks to a P.O. Box, ask for current photos and look for positive reviews. And if the deal is too good to be true, pass on it.
Oct 16th, 2012, 08:19 AM

Over the years, I have also found that talking to the owner (not just emailing) is the key to a successful experience. You can really get a feel for the type of person they are, whether they are advertising honestly, etc. by having a telephone conversation. It's easy to be whomever you want to be and say whatever you want to say behind the anonymity of a computer -- not nearly as easy to do on the phone!
Oct 16th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good responses. You have allayed my fears about renting. I will continue my search for houses on the Coast.
Feb 26th, 2013, 09:22 AM

I prefer using a management company. Not to mention that I had a horrible experience with VRBO when they take it upon themselves to auto-renew your subscriptions. Noticed they charged my card and when I called them out and said my management company has entered a listing w/ VRBO so that I don't need to, they said tough luck read terms and conditions. My response to them was:
"You have done nothing to earn the additional 10 months of fee which I have not used, other than to create an adhesion contract. You do this via your terms and conditions in the hopes that people will trip up and allow you to re subscribe them.
Its a despicable practice and not legally enforceable in most instances. Your bet is that the customer won't make an issue out of it, or take it any further. I don't mind spending free time writing of my experiences and sharing them with others on review sites. It will be interesting to determine who receives less value over the next ten months. I will have additional advertising via your site, but you may have at least a few less subscribers. Stupid business practices are just that, stupid. Enjoy your terms and conditions."

VRBO is NOT for me.
Feb 26th, 2013, 11:52 AM

Sorry Landlordy that you had a bad experience as a lister with VRBO. However, the question was regarding renting thru VRBRO. I've rented three times thru the site and was very happy with my experiences. I did make it a point to speak with the owners and was very satisfied with the experience. It's so very nice to have a "home" when away from your own.
Mar 25th, 2013, 09:17 PM

I had a really nasty experience through FlipKey and another person had a horrific experience through another company like Flip Key and VRBO. Basically, the owners seemed like nice people BUT 3 days before your trip, they email you a list of expectations. We were expected to take garbage to the dump! It was closed the day before we left and yet the owner was livid that garbage was still in the cans-umm, we were supposed to do a dumpster drive by and live it in town?? My friend had to sign an agreement that they would not leave a negative review!!! Like if you don't sign, you can't stay. Even if they refund your money, where are you going to find another place 3 days before your trip??? And they could not speak above a whisper outside the house past 10 pm and they could not have parties--this was for a family reunion and they were very clear when they rented the house.

I have had awesome success renting through management companies in Europe and here in Utah.