Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   should we stop in Ocean City or Virginia Beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/should-we-stop-in-ocean-city-or-virginia-beach-439851/)

bab318 Jun 7th, 2004 05:39 AM

should we stop in Ocean City or Virginia Beach

Hi-
Need some advice. We are returning by car from NC to NY and want to stop in either ocean city, maryland or virginia beach. Which would be best for 2 adults and 14 year old girl? Could anyone recommend an upscale hotel in either location? We are traveling in August.

Mazey Jun 7th, 2004 06:10 AM

I have never been to Ocean City, so I can't comment on it. I found Virginia Beach to be kind of run down and ragged looking. Like an old beach town whose time had passed a decade or two ago. I wouldn't recommend it.

mikesmom Jun 7th, 2004 06:23 AM

I agree with Mazey. We did not care for Virginia Beach. We were supposed to stay for three nights. Drove in, turned around and went back to Williamsburg.

Have never been to Ocean City, MD, so can't comment.

obxgirl Jun 7th, 2004 06:30 AM

I don't think of either VB or OC as particularly upscale destinations. And depending on where you're coming from in NC, VB isn't necessarily on the way to NY.

My guess is that the adults will not like either place. The odds are good for the 14 year old to like both since VB and OC cater to a younger crowd (teens/early 20s).

Both places will be brutally hot in August.

Bill_I Jun 7th, 2004 06:34 AM

Have not been to Virginia Beach, but have been to OC a few times, & will go again this summer, with our 2 boys ages 16 & 13. We all like it. The beach is excellent. Plenty to do for kids as usual like in most of the beach towns, with the boardwalks, miniature golf, shopping, amusements up & down Coastal Highway. There is plenty of fresh seafood, especially Maryland Blue crab. Have to make a few meals of those while there. We stay at a condo on the ocean side.

emd Jun 7th, 2004 06:47 AM

We don't like VA Beach either (and we live in VA). We vacation in the Outer Banks every summer. Ocean Ciy could be a bit of a mind-blower after the peace of the Outer Banks. It is somewhat of a party town. The beach is very wide (long walk to the water) but it is a pretty nice beach- they keep it clean. There is a boardwalk w/lots of arcades, amusement rides, bars, dining, etc. The boardwalk area is kind of tacky. We only go now for day trips when we need a beach fix. But alot of familes like it and it is packed and busy in the summer. We have been to the Sheraton Founainbleu which was oceanfront, and it was a pretty nice, full service hotel. It has changed hands though, it is now the Clarion Foutainbleau, and I would check out the reviews (tripadvisor.com) before staying there again. I think other hotels are rated higher on tripadvisor.

bab318 Jun 7th, 2004 06:49 AM

Does anyone know of a better location for a stop than Ocean City or Virginia Beach, somewhere in between NC and NY in August. We know anywhere south will be brutally hot, but would like to stay at a quality hotel, with hopefully some interest to a 14 year old girl. Thanks for your help.

bab318 Jun 7th, 2004 06:51 AM

Also, Bill....where do you usually stay in Ocean City?

bookhall Jun 7th, 2004 07:29 AM

Rehoboth Beach DE will probably suit your needs. Not as wild as Ocean City, but more family-oriented.

Boardwalk Plaza hotel would probably be the best choice: http://www.boardwalkplaza.com/.

Bill_I Jun 7th, 2004 07:34 AM

We stay at a highrise condo called SeaWatch at about 11500 Coastal Highway. A friend's father owns a unit on the 13th floor there. I think there are 20 floors in this complex, but the view from the 13th floor is something to see, especially at sunset & sunrise. There are a number of highrise condos along that stretch of the beach & quite a few of the units are probably for rent, but don't know what the availability is now for this summer, & I think most of those are weekly rentals. At the SeaWatch there is an indoor pool(for those cold rainy days), an outdoor pool, you walk out the back door & you are basically right on the beach. The buildings at the SeaWatch are angled so that each unit has a view of the ocean from their balcony.
Agree that the boardwalk can be kind of tacky, & I would not let the kids wander that area alone at night, but it also can be fun as a family activity & also stopping for some Thrashers french fries & Dumsers (sp?) ice cream.
Where we stay, we have never had a problem with the beach being too wide, especially when the tide is in, but the beach is very, very long(miles), good for walking. I have seen some pods of small type whales swimming out a ways off the beach. There is plenty of fishing, especially bayside, if you are into that. There are also sightseeing boats & speed boats(OC Rocket - yellow boats similar to Seadog on Lake Michigan in Chicago) tours.

emd Jun 7th, 2004 07:39 AM

Re Rehobeth: There is an outlet mall area in Rehobeth where your daughter might enjoy shopping. We have gone on day trips from Lewes, DE (very close to Rehobeth) on the ferry to Cape May (walk on or drive on), a nice seaside NJ town w/Victorian architecture and gingerbread-type houses. That's a fun daytrip.

LN Jun 7th, 2004 07:41 AM

Ocean City Md is a very family oriented environment but it is a much faster pace than Outer Banks. Our kids have always loved it as most families w/kids say!

There's some newer hotel/motels on the ocean: Comfort Inn, Princess Royale, Holiday Inn, and the Clarion Fontainbleau. On weekends you probably have a two or three night min stay. That said, there really isn't upscale hotels except the Fontainbleau which has an indoor pool and maybe an ice rink.

There's a couple good amusement parks, great little shops for 14 yr olds on the boardwalk and a 101 different 14 yr olds to meet along said boardwalk.

In August - have your reservations made early as the town is booked quickly.

Enjoy!!

colden Jun 7th, 2004 08:35 AM

You may also decide on Williamsburg for a great spot with Busch Gardens there as well as water parks. A drive to Virginia beach from there is about 45 minutes. This way you can see it...but not have to stay there. I personally don't like the boombox strip in high season. Virginia Beach is not where I'd take a 14 year old.

I'd opt for Williamsburg or Rehobeth.
Colleen
www.reviewtravels.com

Diana Jun 7th, 2004 09:09 AM

I'd also agree that neither OC or VB can be called upscale in even the REMOTEST sense of that word.

Haven't been to Rehobeth in years, but based on what I remember and what the other posters said, I'd choose there.

obxgirl Jun 7th, 2004 09:44 AM

Rehoboth is a great suggestion. You might look into the Boardwalk Plaza. Its Victorian interior is a bit fru fru for me but it's definitely a very nice place. I think it would be in the realm of upscale.

It sounds as if bab318 has removed VB from the table of possibilities but for others considering a similar plan, please note that unless you're coming from the far NE part of North Carolina, Wmburg and Va Beach are not on the way to NY. Wmburg is an hour deviation and VB two plus hours.

DeborahAnn Jun 7th, 2004 11:51 AM

bab318, with a 14 year old, having been to many of the beaches along the area you will be traveling, my vote is for Ocean City Maryland. We like the Dunes Manor Hotel, its Oceanfront, one block up from the end of the Boardwalk so you have great access to all the activities there for your teenager plus it is so very civilized for a beachfront hotel. Tea is served every afternoon and you can sit in highback rocking chairs on the large veranda overlooking the beach after a full day on the wide sand beaches. Ocean City works very hard to maintain their beaches and it pays off. We have been there at the busiest weeks and some of the quietest and have had a great time every time. Would highly recommend this hotel which our family and out of town guests always enjoy. Book quickly as many hotels may already be full as August is high season. Have a great trip. Deborah

Baligirl Jun 7th, 2004 01:02 PM

Ocean City, the boardwalk is much better

travelingirl Jun 17th, 2004 05:19 AM

Ocean City, MD! The Dunes Manor on 28th or Princess Royale on 93rd are both nice hotels. It won't be "brutally hot" there either - always a good breeze (at least not as hot as it is here in FL!)

TopMan Jun 17th, 2004 07:46 AM

Some will tell you that OC is much more honky tonk than nearby Rehoboth which is much smaller than OC, much more upscale in terms of places to eat, and, if there is any other barometer in terms of the "happening" place to be..Rehoboth has a much, much larger gay population than OC will ever have.

So, either go to the town that needs a "queer eye" makeover or go to where it has already occurred.

Oh, and if you are in any way bigoted then OC would be a better stop for you.

tsimm Jun 17th, 2004 09:01 AM

Are you pretty much committed to staying at a beach location? We just did a similar trip this past weekend (Boston-NC), and stayed in Philly both ways. Lots to do, and lots of nice hotels. There are also a lot of choices along the Jersey Shore - Cape May, Ocean City, even Atlantic City...