Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Should we go to Park City, Utah, Vermont or Maine?

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help me. I'm trying to decide what to do with $450 worth of Southwest Airlines travel vouchers that must be used in the near future. I would like to travel beginning Labor Day weekend and we can go for a week. We are traveling from Detroit, so I'm trying to choose something on SW that is reasonable time wise. Many of the flights have two stops and/or long layovers.

Given the heat most of the country is experiencing, I'm also trying to find a destination that won't be 100 degrees.

Park City, Utah looks like a neat place. Would there be enough for us to do there for a week? Are there day trips we could make from there? We aren't big hikers or outdoor people, but we enjoy nice scenery, good restaurants and some shopping.

Now, if we fly into Manchester, New Hampshire we could head towards Vermont or Maine. Since we've never been to either, I'm at a loss as well. I thought we could drive up to Stowe and stay there for a few days and then head back and stay in Woodstock.

Or, we could head towards Bar Harbor, Maine, then Camden and back down to New Hampshire.

I know I've gone on way too long. Sorry.

Ahy thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 10:38 AM

IMO, either of the NE trips sound good bcs NE is small and you could move around, see lots and not get bored. Unless you'll arrive late in Manchester, don't plan on staying there. It's an old mill town and not a tourist area. You could go right over to Portsmouth, NH which is a great town, lots of shops and restaurants in a rehabbed town. If you have time, you could take a day trip out to the Isles of Shoals or walk around Strawberry Banke, a historical section. Then head N into ME through Ogunquit, Kennebunkport and Freeport for LLBean and outlet shopping, then up to either Boothbay Harbor or Camden, then on to Bar Harbor and do the Acadia thing. Just be aware that to see the ocean on your drive through ME, you will often have to go down to the end of some peninsulas although all the towns I mentioned, except Freeport are on the ocean. If you choose VT, which obviously would be NE towns and mts as opposed to ocean, Stowe is a beautiful town with shops and restaurants. Ben and Jerry's factory tour is right next door. You could go over to Burlington and take a boatride around Lake Champlain and/or spend a day at the Shelburne museum. Woodstock and Quechee are cute but really, IMO, just drive-through and maybe walk around for a few minutes places. Rt 100, a N-S rt all through VT has gorgeous scenery and quintessential NE towns. Labor Day will be busy enough to need reservations for the weekend nts. Maybe you should decide on ocean or mts, do some research and go from there. Any chance you could postpone your trip to coincide with foliage season in Oct? Much more crowded but gorgeous with lots of fairs and festivals. Have fun.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will do some more research based on your recommendations.

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:23 AM

You might want to check Yankee magazine's website www.newengland.com for a list of events and go where it looks the most interesting and fun. If you want to do a driving vacation there is lots of beautiful scenery in New England. I second Portsmouth NH for a couple of nights (at least) and another couple of nights in Camden ME. The return route could take you thru NH's White Mountains. North Conway is only about an hour from Portland ME. If you can, fly mid-week to give yourself a solid weekend when there are the most events going on.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. All very helpful.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Both of the previous posters have given you good suggestions. Since you're from the Detroit area, you might enjoy the ocean and white mountains more than the lakes and green mountains of Vermont. (I am saying this as a former Detroiter.) In Maine, Ogunquit has the Marginal Way, but IMO the town itself seems quite touristy and congested. Kennebunkport is pretty, more laid back, and has many small unique shops and beaches. If you're interested, you can get a glimpse of George Bush, Sr. summer home, too. Acadia and Bar Harbor are definitely worth considering. Be sure to include the Park Loop Road and also go to the top of Cadillac Mountain. Stop for tea at the Jordan Pond House, and lobster dinner right off the boat in Bar Harbor.

The rugged peaks in NH are unlike anything you will see in Michigan. If you decide to include North Conway, also consider a drive along the Kancamagus Highway (Route 112) between Conway and Lincoln - http://www.yankeecruisah.com/kanc.html The route follows the Pemigewasset River and there are scenic spots to stop, swim (or wade) and picnic. From Lincoln, you can take I-93 back to Manchester.