Reload this Page >

Should we go to Galveston, TX?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 06:19 AM
Sarah

I am looking for advise on whether or not to go to Galveston, TX this May. What is it like? What is there to do? Where should we stay? Any information you could provide would be great. Thanks.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 09:52 AM
BranV

I personally am not very fond of Galvenston. It's pretty dirty and the beach isn't all that nice. And safety is something of an issue...not a good idea at all to be out on the beach after sun down. Your next best bet would be Port Aransas (still not the greatest, but much better than Galveston) and my favorite Texas beach, South Padre Island (although a much longer drive!). South Padre has really nice soft white sand, and because you can't drive on the beach in south padre like you can in port aransas, it's much cleaner.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 11:42 AM
Ann

Yes, give Galveston a try. We were there last June and had a wonderful time the beach was very clean, and safe we went down to beach from our hotel (Holiday Inn Beachfront) very nice our room had a balcony with an ocean view. We went down to the beach at 2 a.m. one morning and at midnight the water was very nice. There is alot to do in Galveston, first of all the beach, the Strand which is downtown and has trolleys that you can ride, Moody Gardens, Historic Victorian Houses, and be sure to visit Hotel Galvez "The Grand Dame of the Gulf". For really great seafood try Landry's in the San Luis Resort all so a very nice hotel, and there is a Hilton which is very nice. Don't bother going to the Flagship Hotel over the water its a dump.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 11:57 AM
Kat

I guess it depends on where you're coming FROM. If you home is in, say, Houston or Lake Charles, sure, drive over to Galveston for a weekend. Especially if you like bird watching -- don't miss nearby High Island (especially in spring). There's good eating in Galveston, lovely old American gothic wood architecture, and some boring beaches. And, that's about it. Oh year, there's a huge indoor garden/aviary thing that is, well, remarkable.

If, however, you live in Montreal or San Francisco or New York or Chicago, chances are you'll be bored to tears.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 03:27 PM
Linda

Galveston is a fun little town with the Strand, Ferry, old homes, etc. The beach is ok, but not as nice as South Padre. Also, just up the road (about a 20-minute drive) is NASA which is an incredible place to visit. Houston is less than 1 hour away & it has the athletic, cultural things in which you may be interested.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 07:23 PM
CD

We lived in Houston for 7 yrs. and spent a good bit of time in the Galveston area, just for something to do. I can think of MANY more nicer places to stay. The beach (sand) is dark and was dirty, very narrow beaches, and I would probably rank it one of the worst beach fronts in the US...

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 05:28 PM
Lisa

My husband, my parents and I spent a few days in Galveston last March. If you like history, it is a great town. We went to The Storm Museum which describes the hurricane that killed about 6,000 people at the turn of the century and the rebuilding after the hurricane. There is an oil platform museum, historic sailing ship, neat houses etc. We stayed at The Victorian which is a condo complex. Met our needs. The beach is not great but the history of the island is. Have a great time!! I beleive the Feb. issue of Texas Highways had a good article on Galveston.

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 12:27 PM
M. Kelly

I am from Pittsburgh and I fly to Houston and drive to Galveston as much as I can. It is nice and safe - and the San Luis is great! The southern hospitality is wonderful. I travel alone and I feel safe. The weather has been great this year. January and February in the high 70's. Try it. It is not a white sand beach, but has a lot of history and the people are proud of it.

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 12:27 AM
kristin

NO NO, NO. It's hot, sticky, humid and dirty. The beach is full of abnoxious teenagers and jellyfish. You can't swim for fear of getting stung. Spend your money on something better...San Antonio or Corpus.

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 07:45 AM
Mame

Sarah, I must say that the beach at Galveston is definitely nothing to brag on but the town itself is nice. There is not a lot to do on the island but occasionally there will be someone in town performing. The Strand downtown is nice with a lot of quaint little shops and a lot of goo seafood places to eat. The Moody gardens is a good place to visit and NASA is about is thirty minute drive away. Good shopping just outside of NASA. I would say for a three or four day stay you can't go wrong but the beach is not impressionable but I have always found it to be safe even at one a.m. Hope this helps.
Mame

Old May 4th, 1999, 07:17 PM
Barbara

Lived in Houston for 10 years and visited again(after 6 years away)this past summer. Went to Galveston often to help beat the heat in summer, and for quiet beach strolls in fall and winter. The Strand is a great place to visit. There is also a beautifully restored historic hotel on the Strand. Moody Gardens and Palm Beach are well done and great for kids. If you go to the beach, head to the far west side of the island (near San Luis Pass). It is nicest in the evenings. We lived in Corpus (near Padre Island)for a year, and the beaches weren't that much better at all--don't bother driving out of your way. Texas beaches are generally dirty, with plenty of tar balls and trash washing in at regular intervals. Locals don't seem to mind! South Padre Island (8 hour drive from Houston) beaches are a bit better-but you will be disappointed if you are expecting Florida-type sand.

Old May 5th, 1999, 12:37 PM
lisa

No.
I am not a picky person at all but I would not recommend spending good money in Galveston. And for that matter, South Padre Island was a big disappointment too. There is virtually nothing to do, and the beaches leave a lot to be desired. This is the only vacation I have ever taken that I actually regretted. Go almost anywhere else. If you are just looking for someplace nice in Texas, San Antonio and Austin are both terrific. If it's beaches you're looking for, you're better off almost anywhere on the coast of the southeastern U.S., especially the Carolinas or Florida.

Old May 5th, 1999, 01:35 PM
Andy

Sarah, Galveston is not bad. The historic area known as the strand is nice. The beaches are spotty, some good and some bad. I would reccomend the Galvez or the Tremont House as good places to stay. Galveston is known to be on the humid side and the water is not to blue (looks muddy). If Galveston is close to you it is a good weekend trip, but not a destination vacation. Good luck.