Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   should we do room only or BB in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/should-we-do-room-only-or-bb-in-nyc-293417/)

lynn Mar 1st, 2003 03:56 AM

should we do room only or BB in NYC

we can get a decent rate at Hilton Times Square - but it is about £20 (for 2 breakfasts per day Extra) Thats £10 each person roughly $15. Should we pay extra or is it cheap to get a good breakfast in NY. If so where would you recommend close to Times Square? My family have good appetites and love the All-U-Can-Eat Buffets when in America.

Owen_ONeill Mar 1st, 2003 06:49 AM

Breakfast in hotels of Hilton's level in NYC typically run $10 for "continental" (a roll or pastry, once piece of fruit and coffee). Figure $12 - $15 for eggs, sausage toast and coffee. These prices do not include tax or tip. Tourist trap coffee shops and the like such as Lindy's on Times Square will have similarly high prices. If you get a few blocks from Tiems square in any direction, you'll find plenty of locally owned and independently operated coffeeshops and diners. A decent breakfast (small juice, two eggs, toast, homefries and coffee) will run $6 - $8 per person. I'm not aware fo any breakfast buffets all-u-can-eat except (possibly) for some fast food places like Ranch 1 Chicken - their breakfast is cheaper but greasy and of distinctly lower quality.

hotel Mar 1st, 2003 07:50 AM

You can also find some good bagel shops where you can get a bagel (with butter or cream cheese) and coffee for less than $5/pp.<BR><BR>I would go w/o the included breakfast, unless you can decide each day, as you may want to leave the hotel early and start touring the city, in which case your $15 breakfast would be rushed or no value at all (if you left before breakfast was served). Have you inquired how much breakfast would be if you just showed up at the restaurant? (it may only be a few dollars more than $15, and worth it not to be &quot;committed&quot; to the same restaurant every morning)

Patrick Mar 1st, 2003 09:36 AM

I just checked on the Hilton Times Square site and also saw various rates that included &quot;full breakfast for two&quot; for about $30 extra ($15 each) so I'm assuming that is what your rate includes. I called the hotel and found that the full breakfast is indeed an &quot;all you can eat&quot; buffet. It includes juices and fresh fruits, pancakes, fresh waffles, bacon, sausage, various egg dishes, omelets to order, and nearly everything else you can think of. I'd say if you like buffets, you couldn't do better than this situation, so GO FOR IT!!!

lynn Mar 1st, 2003 11:36 PM

thanks for the great replies we found them very useful. Also, Patrick thank you again for ringing the Hotel, it seems as you say our best option would be to take breakfast included, we can sample NY restauarnats at other meal times.

liza Mar 2nd, 2003 04:44 PM

If you have an all you can eat deal at the hotel, take it...these are few and far between in NYC, it's not like the rest of the country that way :)