Reload this Page >

Should I still go on vacation to NYC in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Worried

My friend and I were planning to go to NYC for vacation Oct 11-14. Should we still go? Or postpone? I feel guilty about even worrying about my little problem of vacation plans at a time like this. I've been to NYC before, and loved it! I'm not really scared, but just wonder how much fun one could really have there now?

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 07:44 AM
al

As I've said before to other posters, it's still a little too early to make a firm decision. Wait a little longer, until at least October 1 and decide then. If things seem safe, by all means come. If not, come another time. Safety first.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Elizabeth

I live in downtown Manhattan (Gramercy Park, near Union Square). Until yesterday I would have said we are not ready. As of today I feel--yes, it is okay to come here.
Social life--I mean public life, like life in bars, restaurants, theatres--is occurring again, people were in parks on the weekend--certianly not in an unchanged mood, but people were going out and gathering.
And--I agree with the Mayor--we need you now. We need you and if you come you will be able to enjoy yourself at theatres, museums, etc. without encountering social forces that make it seem weird to do so--it (no longer) would be like being happy at a funeral, event though the funerals here will go on and on.
A suggestion--plan to spend a few moments in Union Square, where there is a constant gathering of people for "memorial and grieving," or words to that effect. The creative response will probably still be going on (shrine building, writing on big papers on the sidewalk), though the posters of pictures of the missing will probably sadly be gone.
(Maybe by that time Union Square will have dispersed--this suggesiton might be better for anyone comeing right now.)

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Robin

I'm not a New Yorker, but my reaction is to go, so long as air travel, etc. continues to appear safe (what a loaded statement that is). Elizabeth's advice is good, and another point is to be very sensitive to both staying out of the way (wherever they are allowing you to go by then, work will still go on), and to the feelings of the people. I'm not sure there is anywhere in the world where people love their city like the people of NY do, and it seems clear on TV that everyone is hurting. It's possible to be sensitive and kind without invading anyone's privacy, and I suspect that will be important.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Audrey

I've been wondering too about a long weekend in NYC this month that has been planned since last spring. So yesterday, after hearing the Mayor encourage visitors, I called the hotel and restaurants where we have reservations and asked people if we should come, wondering if it would be disrespectful to have a fun weekend in NYC. Everyone said please do come, and they seemed to welcome the chance to talk about it. So, we're going.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Vic

Of course you should go to New York. WTC was part of the fihancial district which really is not a tourist area, unless you want to see where George Washington was inaugurated.

NYC will again be a great tourist spot by mid October -- not withstanding the terrorists.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Worried

Are businesses open in Greenwich Village, Soho, China Town, Tribeca, etc. which are all near the financial district? I know that if they're not open now, they may be open by time I get there, a month after the tragedy, but just wondering...

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Jake

I am wondering if New Yorkers know if there are certain hotels that are offering discounted rates to encourage business?

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 03:24 AM
rqf

Hotel bookings are way down according to the NY Times. I have never used Priceline and know little about it but this may be a good time to use this source.
There was a photo of the lobby of the Plaza in the newspaper - empty. It was also reported the Plaza may close the famous Oak Room for lack of busisness.
Businesses are open all over town except in the west side of lower Manhattan from Canal Street to the south of the WTC.
Double decker tour buses are operating and theater tickets, at this time, can be had for most shows. Attendance at most shows is way down.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 07:16 AM
AC

Hi Worried:
PLEASE COME!!!
We want you here. We need you here.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Elizabeth

Again, please come, the mood is good enough and the days are unimaginably beautiful.
Restaurants etc. in the areas you named have all stayed open and are definitely open now. Chinatown longs for business, much of their non-Chinese business came from WTC people and especially tourists who would combine a visit to Shinatown with a trip to the Twin Towers.
I was just thinking today actually that the restaurants of the Village and East Village were slightly less affected than other businesses, as the crowds there probably have bigger percentage of neighborhood people, a lower percentage of commuters and tourists. (Except of course fot eh deservedly super-famous ones; I was thinking of the regular everyday restaurants.)
Throuhgout this people have to some degree kept going to restaurants, as it's how we can be together here.
Everyone is saying it feels okay now to talk of other things, laugh, etc., even though we don't forget what's happend.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 09:08 AM
WhatI

I think it is a terrible time. I have not read your responses I am sure some said come feed the economy. I would not come until November at the very earliest Thanksgiving. There is just too much sadness here right now. I for one would like to see people have a bit of respect for the time being. I know it is not your intention as a tourist to be disrespectful, I just feel that I would like to remember on the weekends. I don't want business as usual even on the weekends. That is most likely when I would see you on the street. I know this hurts us financially but the other helps me at least emotionally.

I just got off the phone with someone that lost a childhood friend.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 09:32 AM
kate

As a New Yorker I say please come to our city!! It is very sad here now but life must go on..I did not lose anyone personally but I know at least 20 people that lost husbands,wives, neighbors,cousins,friends..It is more than we can bear but if we all are afraid they will have won! We must get our lives back to normal and this city will not be able to do that without your tourist dollars. You all have heard our beloved Mayor ask you to come here so please do!!!

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Worried

To "What I think": Thank you for your perspective. If we still go, I have every intention of being as respectful as possible. Maybe I'm naive, and I know some healing just comes with time...but, I feel like life is now "before" and "after" September 11. In my heart, I don't know if another month, or two, or three, will make a difference in how I feel or others feel about being a tourist in New York. I almost feel like going on our planned trip will be a part of my healing process. There is no good answer.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 11:59 AM
nira

Yes!!! Do go to NYC. We just have been there for few days and it helps to bear the horrible event that happened. We are from Israel and were planned to land in NYC on the Sep. 12 morning, but.... As soon as El-Al re-started her flights to NYC we flew there. We feel it is the right thing to do, be close to the place and people and share the present hard time.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 04:37 PM
newyorkfan

We have broadway tickets, tickets to the empire state building that I ordered through the mail and airline tickets to New York for the middle of October. I desperately want to go but I have decided I can't say "yes,we are going" now. I've decided that if things are going well two days or the day before our trip then yes, we'll go but if we are at war and have had other attacks then no, I don't think we'll make it. I'm very confident we'll be in New York mid October though. I am so looking forward to it! It'll be my third trip to the city this year!

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Worried

Well all - thanks for the input. Unfortunately, we have decided to cancel our trip - hopefully to reschedule once things are more settled. FYI, United refunded my frequent flyer miles that we were using to buy the tickets, with no penalty for cancelling. God Bless all of you in New York, our hearts are with you.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 07:05 AM
al

None of us want to see the economy grind to a halt in ANY sector, but no one should feel obligated to go somewhere because "we need you" or any such nonsense. Your decision should be a personal one, based on what's happening politically a week or so before your trip, and your anticipated anxiety level should you go. Obviously you shouldn't come if you think you'll be a nervous wreck. Keep in mind that a "postponement" is not a cancellation -- you're just deferring your spending until a later time.

New York is not closed and in 3 weeks we (as a city) will be in better shape than we are today, all things being equal. You can still come here and have a fantastic time, so that shouldn't enter into your decision.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Sonya

My husband and I having a wedding to attend in NYC on Oct. 6 and I have been very nervous about the trip. We are from California and have never been to NYC. We had planned to spend much of our time exploring the city, however we now plan to keep it simple. Even though I am afraid and may be nervous on the flight and sad to see so many depressed people, I still think it is important to go. If we allow these terrist to change every aspect of our lives, they have won. NYC and the rest of the US needs an economic boost and the tourist industry needs it the most. I would imagine that as long as we tourist are sensitive to what the people of NYC are experiencing, that our travels will only serve to help the people of NYC it the long run. My heart goes out to all the people that have lost a love one.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 11:48 AM
Marj

Like the other NYers have said. Please come and visit us. I live, work and send my cildren to school in the Greenwich village area. I have been moved by the warmth and generosity of all my neighbors. Things are beginning to return to some form of normalcy. There are still so many places to explore and things to see without going anywhere near ground zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -