Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Should I stay in New Jersey, if going to NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/should-i-stay-in-new-jersey-if-going-to-nyc-1117003/)

curlylisan Jul 6th, 2016 09:07 AM

Should I stay in New Jersey, if going to NYC

My family and I are looking at vacationing around NYC at the end of this month, but it seems cheaper to stay in Jersey than in the actual city. We were even thinking of renting a car since we will stay for about 8 days so we could go to other cities and see other sites as well as New York. Is it worth renting a car to travel around? Is it easy to get to and from NYC and Jersey on public transportation? Does public transportation cost a lot?

curlylisan Jul 6th, 2016 09:11 AM

Note: One of our family members is handicap, so it would be preferable to stay someplace where they would feel more comfortable. I really need tips. All suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

SusieQQ Jul 6th, 2016 09:57 AM

Stay in Manhattan to get the whole NYC experience. Staying in New Jersey will require time and money and with a handicap person could be a real issue. 8 days is not a long time to see and do all that NYC has to offer, so I suggest that you stay put. You certainly don't want to drive and pay for parking so a car rental isn't recommended. Maybe do one day out of the city for a break but then you could take the train.

noyse1987 Jul 6th, 2016 10:05 AM

I've lived in Jersey City (just across the Hudson river) for 4 years and commute daily across to lower Manhattan for work. The cost of a one-way ticket on the PATH train to Manhattan is $2.75. The PATH will take you from Newark, Hoboken, or Jersey City on the NJ side to the World Trade Center station, which connects to a main hub at Fulton street, or to 33rd st and 6th Avenue, in Midtown. Once in Manhattan, the NYC subway provides transportation throughout the city, and costs $2.75 per ride. However, it is not necessarily easy to travel by subway if you have a family member who is handicapped, as the subway system requires going up and down many sets of stairs, depending on the station.

You can also take the NJ transit train to NY Penn Station, which can be more expensive from various parts of NJ, or a bus to Port Authority on 42nd street. Again, you would have to connect to the NYC subway or take cabs/Uber to get around once in NYC.

I would stronger suggest against trying to do NYC by rental car, as the traffic is notoriously bad, especially at rush hour, and parking can be extremely expensive. The best bet may be to rent a car to drive into the city, park in a per-day lot, and Uber or take cabs to different sites. NYC is really a walking city, and many of the sites are best appreciated on foot.

Good luck!

SambaChula Jul 6th, 2016 10:16 AM

Another suggestion are the less expensive lodgings in Long Island City, only a few subway stops from Manhattan.

curlylisan Jul 6th, 2016 10:44 AM

Thank you all! You've been really helpful. We will discus it and will make the proper arrangements. We were also thinking about getting a wheelchair, so it's easier for them to participate in whatever we decide to do.

nytraveler Jul 6th, 2016 04:46 PM

A car is an absolute nonsense in NYC. There is too much traffic to drive around, esp if you are not used to it, and street parking is not available. That means each time you move the car it will cost a minimum of $25 to put the car in a garage - 3 sights will cost $75 plus the $100 per day to rent the car. And if you just rent and put in the hotel garage that will be $40 per night.

Much cheaper and easier, esp with a person with a handicap is to stay in the city, with many more transit options - most of them much less expensive than a car. Yes, most subways do have a couple of flights of stairs. If that is impossible for the handicap person then the city buses all kneel to allow boarding of a wheelchair. And taxis for short distances with several people are not that expensive.

If you do stay in Jersey be sure you stay near enough to walk to the PATH and take that in. Once you are away from that getting to and fro the city can be very expensive and time consuming. Train and commuter bus prices vary but few hotels are adjacent so that means taxi to bus or train. And to take the ferries are $20 RT per day per person - so $80 per day for 4 people. Buses esp can be very time consuming due to traffic through the tunnels to Manhattan (an hour is fairly common).

Seamus Jul 6th, 2016 06:14 PM

Short version - No, do not stay in NJ to visit NYC.

As to renting a car to visit other cities - what cities? You may be able to go via train in much more comfort for not much (if any, when you figure in gas, tolls, parking, taxes and fees) more cost.

curlylisan Jul 7th, 2016 09:07 AM

Thank you for your responses. We decided not to stay in NJ, due to all the good suggestions I received.

By any chance, does anyone know a place where I can rent a wheelchair of some sort?

DebbieDoesDulles Jul 7th, 2016 09:23 AM

Where in the city did you decide to stay? There are several medical-supply stores that rent wheelchairs including "Big Apple Mobility", you might call your hotel concierge for a recommendation.

There are also lightweight "portable wheelchairs" that you can buy and take on the plane with you. Folding wheelchairs. They are not good for a person who wants to push themselves around the room & use full time, but for just being pushed around from time to time they are fine and under $150.