Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Should I stay 4 nights in Bar Harbor or split it up with Southwest Harbor or Northwest Harbor? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/should-i-stay-4-nights-in-bar-harbor-or-split-it-up-with-southwest-harbor-or-northwest-harbor-295548/)

Trisha Mar 8th, 2003 05:22 AM

Should I stay 4 nights in Bar Harbor or split it up with Southwest Harbor or Northwest Harbor?

I have never been to Maine and would like to plan the ultimate experience. I plan on staying one night in Boothbay and 4 nights in Bar Harbor. My question is should I split up two nights from Bar Harbor to stay two nights in Southwest or Northwest Harbor? I have read good reviews on both of these areas. I did consider staying two nights at Southwest Harbor, renting a boat for a day to toodle around on the water and sight see. Then I would have the three whole days in the Bar Harbor area.Does that sound like a better plan than spending the whole time in Bar Harbor? Or is Northwest a better suggestion? Please, help me decide! Thankyou!

PamSF Mar 8th, 2003 08:01 AM

It depends on what you are looking for. I found Bar Harbor to be rather congested in the summertime. It has many charms however it also has crowds and alot of things you wouldn't expect like t-shirt shops. I found the "Harbor" towns quieter and with a great deal more charm. If you want to move in the midst of the four days and want greater charm I'd opt for one of the harbor towns. If you want to hunker in and plan to be out of Bar Harbor alot exploring the park and sourrounding areas I'd say stay in Bar Harbor. If you stay in Bar Harbor you will be able to walk to dining,shopping and the like. The harbor towns have fewer options. While in Boothbay check out taking the ferry to Monhegan.

joesorce Mar 8th, 2003 10:02 AM

I like Boothbay more than Bar Harbor, for me Bar Harbor is too crowded in summer but you must experience Acadia. When in Bar Harbor last time, we took a day trip to Southwest Harbor and it was an easy haul. I would suggest TWO nights in Boothbay however, minimum. In my opinion its a much better place to rent a boat or canoe and relax than Bar Harbor.

Colette Mar 8th, 2003 08:22 PM

Again, it depends on what you like. I would stay 2 days in Boothbay Harbr---do some water stuff, enjoy a B&B (we stayed at the Welch House----great B&B with a great view), and then we stayed 3 nites in Bar Harbor. The Southwest and Northwest harbors were quaint, but further from the action, and hubby and I like to be near restaurants, shops & people. Acadia is gorgeous: hiking, kayaking, etc.----great breakfast place in BHrbr is the Two Cats Inn (I think that's what it's called----anyway, it's got the word "Cats" in it) :) Have fun----it's a beautiful area.

elberko Mar 9th, 2003 05:05 AM

I don't think you need to break up yout time on Mount Desert Island, just pick the town that sounds more like &quot;you&quot;.<BR><BR>We like to stay in Bar Harbor, because we like a few more restaurants and such, but we do spend time in the quieter parts of the island, too. If you are looking for quiet, choose one of the other areas.<BR><BR>Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Craig Mar 10th, 2003 07:54 AM

No need to move around. As the above poster stated, just pick a spot you like and stay there for the 4 nights. We stayed right in Bar Harbor from June 30 - July 3. We did not find it particularly &quot;crowded&quot;. However, driving around town is slow-going and restaurant reservations are a good idea. If you stay in town, parking is not a problem as you can walk pretty much everywhere. If you drive in from elsewhere on Mount Desert Island, parking can be difficult. I've never been to Boothbay but think that 2 nights would be better than one.

jamcat Mar 10th, 2003 08:58 AM

Trisha,<BR>We made a trip to the same area last summer. My all means spend more time in Boothbay!! It is beautiful and much less crowded! Bar Harbor was a zoo!! <BR>Jamcat

theladyjess Mar 10th, 2003 07:24 PM

My husband went to college in Maine. Stay a night in Castine at the Castine Inn Bed and Breakfast. The rooms there are nice and the food is devine. It is also a nice little town to walk around. It is the home town to Maine Maritime Academy and Dice's Head Lighthouse. The Reef, a small hole in the wall sailor bar on the waterfront, serves the best pizza I have ever had. Castine is a quiet town and the people are very nice.<BR>If you have the time, take a trip to Freeport to go shoping. It is the home to LL Bean (which never closes) and several factory outlet stores.