Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Should I spend a bit more and stay on Captiva (v. Sanibel)?

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was looking into staying on Sanibel the last week in April with hubby ... got some good vacation package prices at either Sanibel Inn or Sundial. Am now thinking about whether we should stay on Captiva for a bit more (can also get good package deal there at South Seas Resort). We'd being staying in a 1BR Beach Villa there (on the south end). Are these directly on the beach? The description says that the beach is reached by crossing a boardwalk.

How does the beach on Captiva (south end by beach villas) compare to the one by the Sanibel Inn. How crowded will things be the last week in April? Can anyone help me decide?
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:18 PM

We stayed at South Seas last year for spring break with our kids. We stayed at those beach villas you mentioned, and they are basically right on the beach (short walk on boardwalk). You should check out "Royal Shell Vacations" because we were able to get a 3 bedroom villa for less than what South Seas charged for a one bed. However, it did not come with the amenities card which gives golf priveleges as well as eating in many of their restuarants. That was fine with us, since we don't golf, and the town of Captiva is filled with restuarants and was walking distance. pool and tennis was included.

It was very crowded the last week of March, especially the restaurants. The beach was lovely though. I have only stayed on Sanibel once, and it was in a very cheap condo near the lighthouse. The beach was very nice there too, and had more shells, although there were still lots of shells on captiva.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:27 PM

both are very interesting places, each with their own special amenities. The main difference is that Captiva is tiny by comparison. I like to stay in Captiva but have rented bikes in Sanibel and made the rounds for fun. I don't know anything about the South Seas. I like Tween Waters Inn on Captiva, which may be a bit on the funky side for some. Their restaurant is well worth a trip.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info ... I think we're going to stay on Captiva, but I like the idea of renting bikes on Sanibel one day as I understand that's where the bike paths are. Where do you recommend for this?
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 10:42 AM

I don't recall. But as you come onto the island of Sanibel (which you have to go through to reach Captiva), on your right is a chamber of commerce. Information booth. Whatever. Stop in there and pick up brochures.

I love Captiva. Wish I were there now. And Sanibel. Both are gorgeous. Have fun.