Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Should I rent a car for Maui? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/should-i-rent-a-car-for-maui-674011/)

ssomaha Jan 26th, 2007 11:38 AM

Should I rent a car for Maui?

Never been to Maui. Staying for a week, with mainly 5 1/2 days of free time. Not going to any other islands. Staying in LaHaina area. Want to mostly rest and relax. No major plans. Should we rent a car? If so, is a jeep best, or is a car just as good? Also, can you only rent cars at the airport, or could we find one near our hotel if we decide we want a car for one day? Thanks for any help.

mike_b12 Jan 26th, 2007 11:58 AM

You will need a car on Maui. Best bet would be to rent it at the airport.

martym Jan 26th, 2007 12:00 PM

At which hotel are you staying? I believe there are car rental outlets at some of the hotels in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area. Often hotels can arrange for one day rentals and have the car delivered to the hotel. If you really just want to relax on the beach, probably don't need a car. If you do decide you want one, a jeep is not necessary.

hilda Jan 26th, 2007 01:28 PM

You need a car in Maui, rent at the airport. It would be a shame not to explore the island. Get a compact car

sistahlou Jan 26th, 2007 01:50 PM

If you would like to be one of those people that visits Maui, spends the whole time at the resort of choice and never leaves their beachchair, and then bitches that Maui is boring and too commercial - well then sure.

If you want to understand your destination rent a car. For just a few hours a day, you will see some amazing things while still chillin/

It all depends on you and your expectations. I hope you're the latter!!!!

No need for jeep, go for convertable if you find a good rate!

trippinkpj Jan 26th, 2007 01:58 PM

I think a rent a car is very important on Maui. I would only get a Jeep if you're going to do major exploring, which it sounds like you wouldn't be doing.

likeswords Jan 26th, 2007 02:09 PM

Yes. You need one. You don't need a Jeep. Get a compact. You need a car to go anywhere, and you will feel restricted after hearing about all the neat and relatively nearby places to visit (Honokowai, the Iao needle, maybe even up Haleakala) if you don't have a way to get to them. The public transportation won't do the trick, and most places are easy drives. Have fun!

Shanghainese Jan 26th, 2007 02:41 PM

How are you going to get from the airport to your hotel?

sceneisle Jan 26th, 2007 02:46 PM

The taxi fare from the airport to Lahaina and back alone will probably cost you more than the car rental for two days. Rent a car and enjoy Maui.

trippinkpj Jan 26th, 2007 02:55 PM

I just checked Speedishuttle. For 1 person round trip it's $46.-. http://www.speedishuttle.com/
You can check the site yourself as I didn't know how many passengers. I still don't advise it, not renting a car, but I thought I'd share anyway.

trippinkpj Jan 26th, 2007 02:55 PM

I checked Kahului airport to Lahaina.

Doctoressa Jan 26th, 2007 10:52 PM

Absolutely! I am in Lahina right now and I had the same question before I came. Don't spend the bucks on the Jeep. If you do, be careful. They have secret charges: $50 to put the top up if you don't do it correctly! We have a PT cruiser which is perfectly fine. It's no German luxury mobile, but it gets here and there. I would also rent at the airport. I found Dollar and Thrifty to be the least expensive. I went with Thrifty and I would say GO WITH DOLLAR! (I'll write more about this in my next installment of my trip report!) Speaking of, take a look. We came for some serious R&R, but ended up doing a lot of driving around and seeing some beautiful scenery. Be wary of the drive to Hana unless you have a lot of Pebto and an iron stomach! Have fun!

hawaiichris Jan 26th, 2007 11:03 PM

yes definately a car in maui. I would rent it at the airport. Most times the cost of transfers on maui will end up costing you the same amount if not more than just getting a car for that amount of time.

Maui is not centralized like oahu (waikiki) is where you can walk to everything. Yeah you can walk to things in kaanpali or lahaina but you don't want to confine yourself to that area the entire time.

justme22 Jan 27th, 2007 10:30 AM

rent a car, don't need a jeep, a convertible is great but might not be the cheapest car. but there is something about riding around the island in the converible that is just perfect!

Ag3046 Jan 28th, 2007 07:37 AM

I got a Chrysler Sebring convertible for $20 a day at Thrify through www.kayak.com. I think it was because Thrifty's lot is a little farther off the airport, and I arrived on a Sunday, instead of Saturday, and they were all out of the intermediate sized cars. I often find intermediate-sized cars are cheaper than economy, as the economies are booked up faster. You really need a car to enjoy Maui. How else are you going to get to Mama's Fish House?