Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

should i quit my teaching job and travel the world? help needed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2001, 04:13 AM
katy osborn

i really dont know whether to leave my happy safe little life in search of some excitement. i really want to travel but dont like the idea of going it alone. advice greatfully recieved.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 04:13 AM
Curious

I'm sort of new to this site, but is this what you more seasoned folks refer to as a "troll"? If not, I wonder why anybody would make life decisions based on feedback from a travel info board. Just curious.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Jim

Katy-

Quit your job, burn down your house, and hit the road. Seriously.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 06:14 AM
OnTheRoad

You need not jump in with both feet.
Pack a small bag for a trip to a Hostel
and talk with other travelers from around the world...about THEIR adventures
THEN you'll know you can do it -- and/or decide it this what you really want.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 06:24 AM
steve

There's no question that travelling the world could be a fantastic thing to do. Would you have a job at a decent salary when you come back? If that's assured, and you have a sense of adventure then do it. Take as much time as you can. Try to lose your conditioned self and discover who you really can be. Never leave a great conversation to get somewhere where you don't need to be. Avoid the high seasons in major tourist destinations and don't make reservations (except maybe the first night). You will meet the most extraordinary people, but you will also be extremely lonely at times. Do as the locals do. Take as little as possible with you. Bring a flashlight and a compass. Have fun.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Eric

DO IT!!! Life is to short and if you are able then do not let this opportunity pass you by.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Al

If you can afford it and can keep your health insurance...go for it!

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 11:43 AM
heres

You are all crazy.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Robyn

YES! DO IT! I traveled the world for 1.5 years and would not trade it for anything! It is very easy - just get a Lonely Planet book and head off for Asia - you will be in good hands!

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Joy

If a TEACHER cannot capitalize I, then, she should retire - for the good of the students. Also, beginnings of sentences are ALWAYS capitalized.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 08:01 PM
Amy

And may we humbly mention "don't", "gratefully", and "received"?
In answer to your question, another question: Have you done any travel? Travel and teaching are not mutually exclusive; try some shorter jaunts first to see how you do on your own. Independent travel is very rewarding, but it's not for everyone.

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 02:25 PM
anti-Pedant

Joy: What's your problem with katy not using any capitalizations? Who really cares...and does this make her less a teacher? Has it ever occurred to you that some people prefer writing in small letters because of either efficiency or philosophical reasons? Anyway, katy, I'm a retired "teechur" who managed to travel the world by teaching at international schools. That might be an option you can look into. It's nice to travel, but it's also nice to know that a paycheck is coming at the end of each month!

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 05:25 PM
do

Katy, traveling alone can be a liberating experience. The time alone gives you time for reflection, and you will meet a lot of people anyway. Yes, you will be lonely sometimes, but you'll have experiences you'll treasure for a lifetime. For inspiration, check out Kinga & Chopin's site at www.geocities.com/kingachopin/ . They are a Polish couple who are hitchhiking the world.

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Smart Alec

I agree with Joy. Not only are you unable to figure out that the first word of a sentence should be capitalized, but you also don't seem to realize that there is an apostrophe in the word don't, and never learned the basic rule i before e except after c as you have clearly shown your ignorance in the spelling of received. Shall we also talk about your misuse of the word "greatfully"? Katy, you should not be a teacher. You are a perfect example of what's wrong with education today -- children being taught by teachers who have no education themselves. By all means quit teaching. Whether you travel, wash dishes, or panhandle on the streets is beside the point. Please for the sake of our youth, quit teaching!

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 11:47 PM
amanda

Live your dreams!

Learn to talk with people and enjoy life....

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Gee

Hey..if you have the money go for it or you could travel to a new exciting place every summer and holidays.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Patrick

As a former teacher, I must agree with the posts about your letter writing skills, unless you are actually a troll,pulling our legs. I find it hard to believe that a real teacher has such a poor grasp of the English language, so I suspect that you are indeed pulling a few legs here. But in case you aren't, as a former teacher myself, I say even if you continue teaching you have the access to a long vacation time and excellent travel experiences. My first two trips to Europe were both with education groups (Ohio Education Association) and were incredible deals. Such deals are readily available to teachers especially during the summer and school holidays, so use some time and explore those avenues. Perhaps the best benefit from my nine teaching years (other than the wonderful and rewarding experiences I had with the students, of course)was the extended vacation schedule which let me begin my traveling adventures. So what is the big deal about quitting teaching just to travel? Since you don't like the idea of "going it alone", you also have the opportunity to join groups of teachers which eliminates that problem.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 05:04 PM
BeenThere

What you're really searching for you will not find through world travel.
The real peace, satisfaction and happiness you're looking for is only found through a living relationship with God/Christ.
Travelling can be a thrill-a-minute and very rewarding...but ultimately it won't satisfy.
Happy Easter

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 05:20 PM
iconoclast

people who like to criticize others are simply trying to feed their own inadequate egos...get a life! katy, my answer to you is to travel so that you may meet others who are more considerate and kind and understanding...life would be a lot nicer if people would practice their so-called christian upbringing...hope my lack of capital letters offends some of you...by the way, im a college professor...yes, i know, there's supposed to be an apostrophe between the i and the m...cheez!!!!

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Jaye

To Mr/Ms/Professor Iconoclast:
You might want to take a quick look in the mirror (or, perhaps not).
"People who like to criticize others are simply trying to feed their own inadequate egos"...
I believe that "...get a life!" would also qualify as criticism.
Having a little ego inferiority conflict there?
I wasn't offended or put down by comments from "Been There"...why so defensive?
Shalom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -