Search

Should I cancel Florida vacation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I cancel Florida vacation?

I have a vacation scheduled for 8/1-8/8 to St. Pete
Beach, However, the weather is looking very dicey.
Lots or rain, and I'm starting to worry.

Any Floridians out there with advice? Should I cancel?
Go ahead and go? Thanks in advance for any help!

Betsy
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 09:04 AM

I live in Tampa. It has been raining a LOT in the last few weeks: not merely afternoon thunder storms, which are normal here, but high rain chances and rainstorms throughout the day. They have not been violent storms. Heavy downpours have been rare and brief. The flooding you may have heard about is mostly to do with rivers in the area. But it's been cloudy and rainy nearly every day, all day.

I see that the forecast is for more of the same at least through the middle of next week. This is a good website to check for weather news:
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...ther.html.html

So! It's so difficult to tell you what to do. If cloudy days will completely ruin your vacation, and you can reschedule without (much) penalty, maybe you should. OTOH, friends who are staying in St. Pete Beach tell me they've enjoyed the cooler temps that come with clouds and that it hasn't rained all day, every day, just here and there. So if that sounds OK to you, proceed!

Hope this helps...
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate your response. I think we may try and cut our losses and go somewhere else. Again, thanks!
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 09:26 AM

You're very welcome! I wish I had better news... I can tell you *I* am really sick of rain
Old Aug 1st, 2015, 04:55 AM

Just returned 7/30 from a week in the Clearwater area. I must agree with NewbE's friends who found the cooler temperatures enjoyable. Ours was a family visit rather than a vacation, so tourism wasn't at the top of our list. But we did swim daily, went to the Dali, saw a couple of Rays games, and shopped in downtown St. Petersburg. There was one day of ongoing torrential downpours, the other days were cloudy with showers. We go every summer for the past 15 years, and the weather this year was the most comfortable I've experienced. Usually the heat mid-day is so unbearable that we stay in from mid-morning until about 7pm. This year, it was cool enough that we were able to enjoy being outdoors and even ate lunch at an outdoor cafe mid-day.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful vacation!