short trip to boston

Search

short trip to boston

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
short trip to boston

My SO had a conference in Boston and I went along. We stayed at the Westin at the convention center

The airport is very close to town. we took a cab in and it cost $25 with a lot of traffic and $15 with no traffic.

the weather was great. clear and brisk, not too cold. one downside of staying at the convention center is that it is not close to anything. a bit of a walk to south station and the real downtown/financial district. And did i mention that Boston hotels are expensive? the convention rate was over $300./.

the first night we went to legal seafood at the waterfront. It was nice and at 8pm not too crowded on a thursday. but pretty expensive, particularly wine.. .

on first day i wandered around freedom trail. I enjoyed king's chapel (where they have booths instead of another type of seating) , the old burial grounds and the old state house.(where they have an informative tour about the revolution). there also were a number of guides giving guided walks around the area, which seemd informative whenever i ran into one.

the next day was devoted to the museum of fine arts. I got myself to the Park St. T station and got onto the green line to the museum. I always like riding public transit to get another view of the people in a city. the museum was great. and i got in for free for being a patron at my local museum. a large number of paintings by copley and a room devoted to Sargent. it had a large number of varied exhibits-even a display of conservation work going on on some works, also there were numerous contemporary pieces. and a striking sculpture right on front of the museum entitled "the great spirit."

we stayed until the end (5pm) adn got on the T with milions of others to go back into town. we went back to park st, and went to "Petit Robert" right across from macy's. it was very good and hit the spot- i had salmon and enjoyed it.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 08:05 AM

You did a very nice job of seeing a representative sampling of Boston in your quick trip, including eating at 2 local restaurants of longstanding tradition! Too bad SO was busy with the meeting but maybe the 2 of you will come back sometime. Nice reflections on traveling as well. I am always happy to see it when visitors are interested in the local populace. It is one aspect of traveling that I love, being able to--as best as I can--get a feel for a place and its people.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 09:38 AM

I ate at the Legal Seafood on the waterfront last week and agree with your assessment. It was the first time I had been in that area since the Legal opened and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by the number of nice looking bars and restuarants that have cropped up. I hear there are a number of additional ones that will be opening soon. Looking forward to many more trips to that area.

I'm a member of the MFA and am so glad you enjoyed it. The new American Wing is a wonderful addition to the museum.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM
cw

Thanks for the report. I'm glad too that you went to the MFA. The new wing adds a lot and is really done well.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Yes, bennnie, that area has become the after work destination of all (well, many) of the young singles who now populate Southie! It will definitely add to tourist and convention goers' options, as well. for places to eat when in town.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM

socialworker - I heard on the radio that Ming Tsai is opening a casual restaurant there and several others are slated to open soon.I'm not young or single but I think I'll drag husbands and/or co-workers there the next time we want to go out. Its a short trip through the tunnel for us.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 01:50 PM

Wow, that would be great to be able to have a Ming Tsai dinner for 2 that is not in the >$150 range! Not to mention, even when willing to pay it, that it is *still* after all these years a royal pain to get a res at Blue Ginger. One has to plan it way ahead!
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 11:11 AM

Blue Dragon should be opening in January. I agree it will be great addition to the local dining options. they aren't going to take reservations so getting in may be very tough.