Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Short Trip report--Ice Sculpture Exhibit in TX (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/short-trip-report-ice-sculpture-exhibit-in-tx-662066/)

P_M Dec 2nd, 2006 03:07 PM

Short Trip report--Ice Sculpture Exhibit in TX

I posted this in the lounge, but I think it belongs here also.

I have just returned from the DFW area. A couple of pals and I visited the Ice Sculpture Exhibit at the Gaylord Resort and Convention Center in Grapevine. For those not from TX, Grapevine is a very nice little 'burb between Dallas and Ft. Worth.

Let me start by saying the Gaylord is an incredibly beautiful resort!! Just going into that place was an experience within itself. It sorta reminded me of those themed hotels in Vegas, only without the cheesiness or cigarette smoke. The main lobby had waterfalls and a stream running through, and they depicted many scenes around TX. And don't even get me started on the Christmas decorations, just lovely!!

OK, getting back to the Ice Show. We went on a Friday night so the line to get in was about 30 minutes, not too bad IMO. It is 9°F inside the exhibit. They will lend you a parka, but I highly recommend wearing a coat underneath and gloves are an absolute must. The floor is carpeted so you are not walking on slippery ice.

The sculptures are beyond description, but I'll do my best. Some of the sculptures must have been made with colored water. There are a lot of red and green sculptures as it's the Christmas season. There are sculptures with clear ice, but lights are inside. There is a scene of a home where the furniture is all ice. There's another scene where you can sit in a sleigh made of ice, with an ice horse, of course. There's a HUGE ice angel, about 20 feet tall. There's also a nativity scene made mostly of clear ice with colorful lights. There's a big slide at the end. That exhibit has the most color and it's quite a sight.

One of my friends brought a camera, but we were advised not to take it in, as temps are so cold it could damage the camera. We were told that disposable cameras are your best bet. We opted not to get a disposable camera, but we were sorry later.

Please check out this link for info in case you are interested in going. You will see that it's no cheap date, but well worth it, IMO.

http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordtexan/ICE.cfm

AustinTraveler Dec 2nd, 2006 03:35 PM

Thanks for the great report P_M.

AnnMarie_C Dec 3rd, 2006 05:21 AM

What a unique experience, Auntie P_M! Did you attend the exhibit from China?

OO Dec 3rd, 2006 05:39 AM

That sounds fabulous P_M! Thanks for the report...I'm sending it on to my DS and DIL. :) May I be so crass as to ask how much? I know they will want to know. :)

P_M Dec 3rd, 2006 06:18 AM

Oooohhh, Auntie P_M, I love it!! I can't wait until my neice is old enough to call me that. ((A)) AnneMarie, some of the scupltors are from China and this exhibit is sort of a scaled down version of the Harbin show. :-)

OO, of course you may ask about the price. On weeknights it's $20 + tax. On weekends it's $23 + tax. If you ask, they will give you a pass for complimentary parking. The link I provided will give all info about the show.

OO Dec 3rd, 2006 06:47 AM

Thanks P_M...I clicked on your link AFTER asking the question of course. :) I see they even provide coats for infants, which is great, as I'm sure DS and DIL don't have anything for their little 1.5 yr old that would keep him warm enough in 9 degree cold! LOL Not that any of us have clothes for that weather! It really sounds like a <u>fun</u> time.

AnnMarie_C Dec 3rd, 2006 07:04 AM

Boy oh boy, am I ever sorry I signed up for the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading class, lol, or I would have read, the first time, that some of the artisans are from Harbin, China! duh...it's not my fault ;-)

What an experience! :-)

ilovetulips Dec 3rd, 2006 11:23 AM

PM,

Is this a one time only exhibit? It looks pretty cool (no pun intended.)

P_M Dec 3rd, 2006 11:29 AM

It was cool, all right....Brrr!!!! :-d

It will be running until 1/6/07.

ChristieP Dec 3rd, 2006 02:21 PM

This is actually the second year for the Ice show. I live here in Grapevine, and Gaylord is really nice. :-)