Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Short SW National Park tour (with a splash of Vegas)

Old Jan 9th, 2017, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I am planning a short road trip for spring break from Tucson, AZ. Traveling together will be my husband and myself, our two kids (ages 9 and 12), and my parents (mid-60s). We are not planning any major hiking--shuttle trips and short walks are fine, even though we won't see near the wonder we might by hiking. My kids enjoy doing the Junior Ranger activities or getting the stamps from the parks. Below are two possibilities. Kids would really like to see Petrified Forest AND Antelope Canyon, but I'm not sure if it's really doable time-wise given that you need to do a tour for the Canyon. My parents live in Tucson, which is why the trip is starting/ending there.

Any suggestions of places to stay/eat/see are welcome. I think I'm leaning towards the first option, although we'll miss Antelope Canyon.

Option 1

DAY 1:
Tucson
Petrified Forest
Sedona

DAY 2:
Sedona Pink Jeep Tour
Bryce Canyon, UT (or Zion)

DAY 3:
Bryce Canyon (or Zion)
Drive to Vegas

DAY 4:
Hoover Dam
Vegas stuff (buffet/show)

DAY 5:
Drive to Tucson

Option 2:

DAY 1:
Tucson
Sedona

DAY 2:
Page, AZ (Antelope Canyon)
Bryce Canyon

DAY 3:
Zion National Park, UT
Drive to Vegas

DAY 4:
Hoover Dam
Dinner/show

DAY 5:
Drive home
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 08:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I like option 1 better. On Day 3 you could turn off I-15 and go through Valley of Fire SP and go on the road on the west side of Lake Meade and come out to Hoover Dam.
If you didn't want to drive into Las Vegas after seeing Hoover Dam, you could stay at the Hoover Dam Lodge about 3 miles from the dam.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 08:50 AM

You need to rethink your trip. It is 3 to 5+ hrs between each location (nighttime driving in some of the locations is not recommended due to the high number of large animals that wonder onto the road.
I would stay in Arizona and eliminate Zion, Bryce and vegas. Spend extra time in Page and see the glenncanyon dam (similar to Hoover).
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 09:26 AM

Plus you need to check lodging availability. "Spring Break" varies by school district and university, but it can stretch out enough to make things very very busy in your destinations. You are very late planning.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

I have tentatively booked lodging in Sedona (Views Inn--just south of Sedona), Bryce (Ruby's Inn), and Vegas. I have the drive times plugged in to good maps and fortunately, my family travels well.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 10:19 AM

Have you been to Grand Canyon? If not why not at least drive by between Sedona and Page?
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

We did the Grand Canyon two years ago! We had a great time. It's actually what is prompting the stop in Sedona, as we missed it on the way back due to darkness!
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 05:44 AM

Comment 2 from bjgchi is spot on. It's not an issue of if your family travels well or not, it's an issue of not actually having any time in the places you are visiting to see them. Take day 2 and 3 in option 2. Day 2, you want to drive to Page from Sedona, see Page, drive to Bryce Canyon and attempt to see it because in the morning you will have to leave for Zion? No way. Then on day 3 you don't have a full day in Zion because you will have to leave for Las Vegas. I don't see it.

With 5 days, I would do a loop from Vegas and see Bryce and Zion only.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 12:22 PM

Option one seems less hectic to me. I might choose Bryce over Zion in the spring because some of Zion's popular areas include walking in water, and I imagine it will be too cold. Be sure and get reservations for a Hoover Dam tour to get the most out of your visit.