Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Short stay apartments in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/short-stay-apartments-in-nyc-765287/)

PamSF Feb 2nd, 2009 11:10 PM

Short stay apartments in NYC

Can someone please recommend a good short stay agency for apts in NYC and/or a particularly good apt you have rented. We would prefer the Village or Chelsea but will certainly consider other spots. We would need a studio with kitchen.

mclaurie Feb 3rd, 2009 12:30 AM

It's not the done thing in NYC. Most buildings don't allow it and there's been a crackdown on illegal rentals. There are loads of scams online too.

You can find lots of suite hotels (like serviced apts.) in midtown from affinia.com group. There are some "b & b's" that rent the equivalent of an apt.
gvhabitue.com
west-eleventh.com
abingdonguesthouse.com

doug_stallings Feb 3rd, 2009 04:55 AM

Some of the Affinia hotels will charge by the month, but then you are talking about $4000 a month.

In virtually all cases, short-term sublets (while relatively common in NYC) are illegal, so if you luck out and find a good place and a good person to rent from, it can work. But you have absolutely no recourse if things go wrong or if you become the victim of a scam.

Radio City Apartments are one of the best priced suite-like hotels (with kitchens) in Midtown.

mclaurie Feb 3rd, 2009 07:37 AM

If you're talking about a month's stay, that's a different story and other options like oakwood.com open up for you. But for a vacation stay of less than a month, the suite hotels or apt. like b & b's are your best bet.

Let us know if you want any more names of suite hotels in midtown.

starrs Feb 3rd, 2009 10:47 AM

Years ago (almost 10) the Abingdon put us in an "overflow" studio apartment in a building next door. I don't know if they still have those or not, but it was VERY cute. As I remember, the stove did not work but the fridge and microwave were nice to have.

PamSF Feb 3rd, 2009 01:25 PM

Thanks folks. I looked at the various ones mentioned and the West 11th looks wonderful! I also ended up checking out Greatrentals.com which does seem to guarantee its properties(it's a vbro affiliated site I think). We will probably be in NYC 7-8 days max. I like the idea of being able to reheat leftovers or not having to get up and out of the room for breakfast.
We have stayed at the Inn on W 23rd(which is in the same price range as W. 11th) several times but would like a bit more privacy in the am hours.

doug_stallings Feb 4th, 2009 05:03 AM

All the so-called "guarantees" in the world won't help you if you're one of the unlucky few who rent illegally and are then not allowed to enter the apartment because the owner has been found out. It's rare, but it does happen, and then you will be stuck in NYC for 7 to 8 days without a reservation.

There are several hotels in NYC that have kitchens in the rooms.

I understand why you would be interested in an apartment for a week-long stay, but I can't in good conscience advocate or promote anything that is generally illegal, so that's where I stand.

nytraveler Feb 4th, 2009 09:25 AM

Agreed that this is illegal in almost all cases. Co-ops won't let owners do it, most condos won't let owners do it and landlords don;t want their tenants to do it.

It's not likely that you would be found out and refused entry - but it's posible. It's also possible the apartment doesn;t exist or is not as described.

What does the guarantee include (do they pay for a hotel if you can;t use the apartment)?

The only short-term apt rental I an reco is the corporate kind - which will end up costing at least as much as a hotel with kitchenette.

PamSF Feb 4th, 2009 09:34 AM

Thank you one and all for the heads up. The West Eleventh looks like the best situation for us.